Nano vs. Panasonic - safe to use?

ExpatOilWorker

USB power supplies are not equal. Cheap ones are quite capable of killing 

Udon death as husband Praiwan Saenprasert found his wife dead when he got home.

Cheap power supplies often do not have sufficient isolation between the high voltage (several hundred V) and the low voltage output (5 V) and can bridge and kill your device or you.

The price of a power supply is a good indicator of its quality. Cheap is always lower quality.

The above is only about the dangers to you and your equipment, there is also the danger of the power supply burning out which (it is always on) is a fire risk.

TLDR Panasonic, good. Nano, not good

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

I wouldn´t go big on safety regarding electric in Thailand. It will all depend on how safe the installed system you have today is. If that is not up to the highest standards, you choosing Panasonic will not help. 

I would go for Nano, as many people already are using it, and there has not been any noise about they are unsafe.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I wouldn´t go big on safety regarding electric in Thailand. It will all depend on how safe the installed system you have today is. If that is not up to the highest standards, you choosing Panasonic will not help. 

I would go for Nano, as many people already are using it, and there has not been any noise about they are unsafe.

While I to a degree also agree with Woodworker, then I find it hard to justify the near x10 Panasonic price and feel you pay a lot for the name printed on the unit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

USB power supplies are not equal. Cheap ones are quite capable of killing 

Udon death as husband Praiwan Saenprasert found his wife dead when he got home.

Cheap power supplies often do not have sufficient isolation between the high voltage (several hundred V) and the low voltage output (5 V) and can bridge and kill your device or you.

The price of a power supply is a good indicator of its quality. Cheap is always lower quality.

The above is only about the dangers to you and your equipment, there is also the danger of the power supply burning out which (it is always on) is a fire risk.

TLDR Panasonic, good. Nano, not good

I think the below models are the ones we from time to time hear electrocute people.

Screenshot_20211104-115901_Shopee.jpg

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

While I to a degree also agree with Woodworker, then I find it hard to justify the near x10 Panasonic price and feel you pay a lot for the name printed on the unit.

The difference between the Panasonic, that is virtually certainly built correctly using first quality components, quality controlled and has a name  and reputation to maintain and the nano that is likely to have little to no quality control, probably using components that haven’t passed the QC process or have no QC at all along with a cheap as possible PCB. 

Here is a tear down of a couple of quality USB power supplies, along with the opinion of an electronic tech who is unlikely to be persuaded by brand.

Panasonic is no Dior YSL etc so can’t get a name premium.

The real question is not why is the Panasonic 10 x more expensive but how many corners have been cut in the nano supply to get it down to 1/10th the cost of a quality unit.

can you get quality units for a lower price? As above, yes, but you need a big name high volume producer to get them from.

• Like 2

11/11 sales everywhere online if you can wait.

I usually have better luck with electric things on Ali Express.

I bought what your looking for and placed them outside, in an  electric box to protect from the weather.

There useful and my security cameras need a USB port.

I know they were cheap and there still working after 3 years.

Heres an example.  But there's loads of them.

Good luck!

Screenshot_20211104-161139.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Do you recall what brands you installed? Bought online?

Sadly no, it was a while back. 

One was definitely Haco which I have down as a half decent brand, it went bang IIRC. The others were probably off-brand like Nano. Note that, anticipating potential issues, I put them all on switched supplies.

Have a look how much they cost in the UK and make your own choices ???? 

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=usb&Submit=Search

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

11/11 sales everywhere online if you can wait.

I usually have better luck with electric things on Ali Express.

I bought what your looking for and placed them outside, in an  electric box to protect from the weather.

There useful and my security cameras need a USB port.

I know they were cheap and there still working after 3 years.

Heres an example.  But there's loads of them.

Good luck!

Screenshot_20211104-161139.jpg

It didn't even cross my mind to check AliExpress, as I assumed the sockets would be of a difference size, but lo and behold for less than $2 you can install a death trap in ur living room.

The one you got look of better quality, but I don't want a different size outlet. Thanks anyway. 

Screenshot_20211104-164005_AliExpress.jpg

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Have a look how much they cost in the UK and make your own choices ???? 

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=usb&Submit=Search

Prices in the UK are actually very reasonable and make the 33 pound Panasonic look lime a total rip-off. 

Based on your experience and Woodworkers excellent advise and video I will just add another standard socket and plug the below unit in.

The IKEA unit sound both safe and top quality from the video.

Screenshot_20211104-160537_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

I wouldn't touch those USB/mains sockets with a barge pole. I am very aware of what might happen inside. I got myself one of these which is highly recommended. Apparently it has German ancestry.

Randy ปลั๊กไฟ 5usb กันไฟสองชั้น มอก. 3M 5M 10A 2300W รางปลั๊ก สายไฟ  100%ทองแดง ปลั๊กพ่วง ปลั๊กไฟUSB ชาร์จเร็ว ChargerUSB | Shopee Thailand

At 315 baht it is hard to say how much German quality you bought.

Maybe this Randy fellow got a production agreement with Gump?

Screenshot_20211104-193552_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211104-193808_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211104-200324_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Prices in the UK are actually very reasonable and make the 33 pound Panasonic look lime a total rip-off. 

Based on your experience and Woodworkers excellent advise and video I will just add another standard socket and plug the below unit in.

The IKEA unit sound both safe and top quality from the video.

Screenshot_20211104-160537_Chrome.jpg

I have 1 of those that failed, as I am not near Bangkok I was unable to return it under the 1 year guarantee.

I also have enough items that a 3 outlet supply is not enough, supplies I use are IKEA (3ports), Baseus (4ports), Anker (5 &6 ports), Aukey (4 ports) and Apple single ports. There are a few others I would consider, but you have to be careful of your supplier as these are copied by low quality knockoffs 

• 2 weeks later...

By the way things are going, USB-c with Power Delivery standard is the way forward, in 2-3 years time your device probably won't come with USB-A to C but rather USB-c to c which has faster charging, you'll be stuck with the slow USB-A in your wall socket which is already too expensive and not easily replaceable.

Imagine if you're stuck with 1 amp charger and micro-usb cable to charge your phone all over the house in these day and age 

2 years ago I start buying the big row of USB charger with 5 or 6 USB-A and single USB-C with PD, the usb-c port is used most, for things like our daily phones, power banks and iPads, only a few things that I don't need straight away get to use the slow charging usb-a and then using USB-A to C cable 

I won't buy any device that has micro usb charging port only now