Looking for hematologist for anemia

ericg1953

A hematologist is not necessarily the right doctor. In some cases what is needed is investigations to identify source of chronic blood loss (e.g. endoscopies).

Can you indicate the full results of his last complete blood ocunt? 

And has he had B12 level done?

If in Hua Hin,  I would suggest he come to Siriraj or if he prefers, Thonburi Hospital (private, near Siriraj and many senior Siriraj doctors work there) as much more convenient. Is there a reason you specifically mention Bumrungrad and Medpark? Further away & more expensive.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, Sheryl said:

If in Hua Hin,  I would suggest he come to Siriraj or if he prefers, Thonburi Hospital (private, near Siriraj and many senior Siriraj doctors work there) as much more convenient. Is there a reason you specifically mention Bumrungrad and Medpark? Further away & more expensive.

Hi Sheryl, 

Thanks for the info. No specific reason I mentioned those hospitals other than I thought he might find some well trained Drs there. 

He told me today he’s been diagnosed with Thalassemia…

He’s getting me the blood work you asked for and I’ll pass it on as soon as I get it. 

I will give him your advice and he will follow it. 

Many thanks,

Eric

Just now, ericg1953 said:

Hi Sheryl, 

Thanks for the info. No specific reason I mentioned those hospitals other than I thought he might find some well trained Drs there. 

He’s getting me the blood work you asked for and I’ll pass it on as soon as I get it. 

I will give him your advice and he will follow it. 

Many thanks,

Eric

Btw…he’s open to go anywhere where he can get the proper advice and care.  

Eric 

Siriraj has an excellent Thalassemia clinic. In fact, if he can get a letter of referral from the hospital where he is registered, he can be treated there for free under the government scheme. Even if not, costs will be modest. However, waits will be long. If he prefers a private option should use the Siriraj private wing and one of these doctors:

https://www.siphhospital.com/en/medical-services/doctor-biography?id=448

https://www.siphhospital.com/en/medical-services/doctor-biography?id=753

http://www.siphhospital.com/en/medical-services/doctor-biography?id=86

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Siriraj has an excellent Thalassemia clinic. In fact, if he can get a letter of referral from the hospital where he is registered, he can be treated there for free under the government scheme. Even if not, costs will be modest. However, waits will be long. If he prefers a private option should use the Siriraj private wing and one of these doctors:

https://www.siphhospital.com/en/medical-services/doctor-biography?id=448

https://www.siphhospital.com/en/medical-services/doctor-biography?id=753

http://www.siphhospital.com/en/medical-services/doctor-biography?id=86

Thanks so much and I’ll pass on the info today 

Eric 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sheryl,
Just a quick thank you for all the referrals for my friend. He went up to Siriraj this past Wednesday and was seen by all 3 Doctors.  They ran all the necessary bloodwork and ultrasound in the morning with results and counseling in the afternoon.  I saw him on Friday and he was very appreciative of your recommendations and will return back every 3 months so they can monitor his situation.  Total cost was 15,000 and he was very pleased with that as well. 

Best Regards,

Eric 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ericg1953 said:

Hi Sheryl,
Just a quick thank you for all the referrals for my friend. He went up to Siriraj this past Wednesday and was seen by all 3 Doctors.  They ran all the necessary bloodwork and ultrasound in the morning with results and counseling in the afternoon.  I saw him on Friday and he was very appreciative of your recommendations and will return back every 3 months so they can monitor his situation.  Total cost was 15,000 and he was very pleased with that as well. 

Best Regards,

Eric 

Thanks for the update and glad it went well.

Was this at the Siriraj private wing (SIPH) ?

12 hours ago, ericg1953 said:

Yes it was Siph where he was seen 

Thanks 

Good to know, especially as I have not had many reports of cost from there.

15K for consultation with 3 different doctors, labs, ultrasound is not bad (though of course more than public channel)

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2021 at 11:15 AM, Sheryl said:

Good to know, especially as I have not had many reports of cost from there.

15K for consultation with 3 different doctors, labs, ultrasound is not bad (though of course more than public channel)

Agree…not bad at all and most important he was able to get a good assessment of his med prob and a follow up program every 3 months that should keep his condition under control 

On 11/5/2021 at 9:11 PM, ericg1953 said:

Genetic disorder similar to Sickle cell anemia, unless both parents had full blown case, they just give iron tablets.

About 30% of the Thai population have it in some form. 

My wife had 1/8 and my kid has 1/16 ......... hospital issued iron tablets until he was 6 years old.

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Genetic disorder similar to Sickle cell anemia, unless both parents had full blown case, they just give iron tablets.

About 30% of the Thai population have it in some form. 

My wife had 1/8 and my kid has 1/16 ......... hospital issued iron tablets until he was 6 years old.

Yes, usually takes both parents to pass it down for one to be symptomatic.  Also mis-diagnosed, without actually blood / gene test, and rarely done, suspect expensive.

Wife was diagnosed with that, and unknown, doubtful both parents had it, if even one.  Simple diet adjustment, exercise, supplements recommended by 'me' ... brought her blood counts back to normal range.

A couple docs diagnosed it with no tests ... nuff said.

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, usually takes both parents to pass it down for one to be symptomatic.  Also mis-diagnosed, without actually blood / gene test, and rarely done, suspect expensive.

Both parents are tested when a child is conceived by the government hospital.

11 years back, I was tested (250bht) and my misses was tested (free).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Both parents are tested when a child is conceived by the government hospital.

11 years back, I was tested (250bht) and my misses was tested (free).

Wife's 45 and her parents crapped out when she was 5 ish yrs old.  None of the her 8 siblings have an issue.