Help. Smart phone recommadation

roger101

On 11/7/2021 at 5:11 PM, Bruno123 said:

Well, Bruno, you may be pleased to know that I went ahead and bought that iPhone, and it arrived about a week ago and was in excellent condition, in fact you wouldn't have known it from new.

So I set it up with the help of two friends and learnt a few tricks on it and also got a new Sim card for it, or should I say transferred the data on my old one to a new Sim card, and all seemed well.

Now after almost a week of swiping, entering code numbers/fingerprints, miss-typing SMS messages and similar, I had chance to evaluate it, this at 4 AM in the morning unfortunately.

So I have gone back to my Nokia 3710, which, believe it or not, is quicker for telephone calls and SMS messages, which is all I need it for, and I have put the Apple iPhone SE back in its pack and will keep it in a drawer for emergencies if needed – – like the Mor Chana app, which I downloaded successfully, but which doesn't recognise the QR code on my VAX certificates!!!

PS. Thank you for all of your help Bruno, it has been much appreciated.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 7:14 PM, roger101 said:

What I want is a cheap phone as long as its got reasonable camera with a prepaid sim. Being an ignoramus when it comes to technology it needs to be simple and easy to use. I don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles of on expensive phone.

Samsung A2 Core.  Inexpensive (B2,500-ish), basic, does everything you want it to do.  I've got two of them as emergency spares just in case anything happens to my (Google-equipped) Huawei. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

48 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks for your recco, i'm just in the process of buying from Lazada for 4790bht but will also need a case, the folding type where i can carry my DL and pink ID card.

Any ideas of a source as Lazada does'nt appear to have any of this type from what i can see.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/samsung-a03sa02sa12a02m02a10a20a30a10sa20sa21s-i2973728545-s10906810951.html?

• Thanks 1

I tell people all the time, If you want a smart phone only buy the best at a cheap price.....I have regretted buying the cheap models and never will again...

Smartphones lose their value FAST.......I just bought a Samsung galaxy s8 used at Tukcom in perfect condition for 4300 baht.....New the s8 sold for about 30,000 baht........A whopping savings for a 4 year old phone and top top of the line.....And works perfect........

Edited by redwood1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I tell people all the time, If you want a smart phone only buy the best at a cheap price.....I have regretted buying the cheap models and never will again...

Smartphones lose their value FAST.......I just bought a Samsung galaxy s8 used at Tukcom in perfect condition for 4300 baht.....New the s8 sold for about 30,000 baht........A whopping savings for a 4 year old phone and top top of the line.....And works perfect........

It all depends on one's needs really.

I don't have a smart phone but when I get one, it will basically just be used for calls.

I will probably need an app or internet access  ocassioningly.

Lopburi posted about a decent phone for 1500 Baht early on.

When I buy, I'll only be spending around 5000 Baht and won't be buying a second hand one.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 11/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, Cake Monster said:

Seriously consider a " Vivo Y 11 " Phone.

Large screen

good Memory ( expandable )

Fairly fast in use

5000ma Battery life

Good Camera

And you will see some change out of 4000 Baht

Then just sign up for an AIS pay as you go account, that way you can put as little or as much into your Account for usage

Any Phone you buy, ask for the Phone to be demo,d for you and you can see how easy they are to use.

I was the same as you a Year ago, and this was the route I chose to take, and it worked fine for me.

You have almost convinced me. So after delivery what do I do next? When I look at AIS or Dtac I just get confused.

33 minutes ago, roger101 said:

You have almost convinced me. So after delivery what do I do next? When I look at AIS or Dtac I just get confused.

No; that phone is already three years old. 

Something like the Redmi Note 9T 5G is a bit more up to date; @ 5k or thereabouts.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9925&idPhone2=10670&idPhone3=10661

https://shopee.co.th/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-9T-5G--4-128GB--แถมฟรี---ซิมเน็ตเต็มสปีด-ใช้ได้นาน-12-เดือน-รวม-120GB---i.163578962.12804681738

6 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Redmi 9T is cheaper that the above @ 4.5k.  But generally inferior to the Note, apart from the bigger capacity battery.

Do you need a data package for the phone?

I don't know what I need. I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to phones. My present phone has SMS and my sim card is 15 years old. My main concern is Bolt and GPS anything else would be a bonus.

9 hours ago, roger101 said:

I don't know what I need. I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to phones. My present phone has SMS and my sim card is 15 years old. My main concern is Bolt and GPS anything else would be a bonus.

It's likely that the cheapest option will cover your need. But someone with Android phone experience might say that 2GB of RAM is not enough. It likely will be for your limited usage. But if you ever expand your usage of your phone; to taking pictures and video for instance, you might wish that you spent a bit more to get a decent camera and processing ability.

For a data pack, you have a few options. One is with AIS; Unlimited data at 4 Mbps and unlimited free calls to all networks(15 minutes per call) for 150 baht per month; recurring for six months.

An alternative could be a SIM that is prepaid for 12 months. DTAC has such for under 1400 baht; Unlimited data at 15 Mbps and unlimited free calls on the DTAC network. Truemove H has a similar offer for 1790 baht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/wpnmobile/

21 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Bruno, I'm after something basic around the 6000 Baht range.

Just need it for calls and checking emails really.

How do you rate this one?

TIA.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/new-poco-m3-ram464gb-ram4128gb-1-1-1-i2010348222-s7163108045.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.21.7de93c95ZLm80H&search=1&freeshipping=1

7 hours ago, Will27 said:

Bruno, I'm after something basic around the 6000 Baht range.

Just need it for calls and checking emails really.

How do you rate this one?

TIA.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/new-poco-m3-ram464gb-ram4128gb-1-1-1-i2010348222-s7163108045.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.21.7de93c95ZLm80H&search=1&freeshipping=1

Doesn't look good for the money. Looks like a slightly worse version of the Redmi 9T; so should be priced at least 1000 baht less.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Thanks 1