Skype Now Allows Calls From Pc To Telephone

croftrobin

I have just updated the Skype version I have been using for 6 months for PC to PC calls.

The newest version allows you to add credit with your credit card and call worldwide.

Here are the rates:

Skype PSTN Rates

I spent 40 minutes on the phone to the UK and call quality was excellent - with no drop outs.

Cost only 50 Euro Cents for that - about 28 baht!!

Highly Recommended!!

You can download Skype at www.skype.com

Mouse

I have to disagree completely. That is utter rubbish!

I run both spybot and adaware and have never had any problems with spy software installed with SKYPE in 6 months of using it.

I use IPStar so I pay for all data in and out (if I exceed my monthly limit) - So I ensure I have no rubbish running on any of my PC's - We have 10 connected to the net here.- especially my own!

Please can you provide some more details of problems YOU have allegedly had with Skype?

Just wondering .....how do they bill you for your time connected to the UK for example, if it is over the net. Do you need a credit card ?

Also how easy is it to get started. I am currently using Hatari phone net cards to the UK and 40 mins costs 500 bt. excellent quality although they are it doesnt allow me the ability to phone everybody I would like as often as I would like. If this is as good as you say I think I may just be making a trip to Panthip today for a headset :o

voiceglo.com. Better for the US than UK. Might not be as cheap, but you get a number in the US. People call it, paying standard US rates or even free if they're in the local calling area, and your computer rings.

United Kingdom land line 4 cents a minute

Mobile is not even worth it. 44 cents a minute.

Stu-

I use An SMC Barricade Wireless Router -

So it is a hardware firewall - giving me control of all ports etc.

If I want to run a service on a particular machine then I just point the relevent ports on the router at that PC etc.

In using it - Both in the UK on Cable Broadband and Thailand on Satellite Broadband I have never had any exploits.

At least 2 PC's are on 24 hours net facing so I am happy with the hardware.

Used it again today to call UK landlines and mobiles - Very pleased with it and Very cheap as well!

I previously used net2phone which was 4 us cents a min to UK but this is a quarter of the price of net2phone!

Edited by croftrobin

Yes Skype does use a proprietry protocol - thats how it traverses NAT Firewalls.

Do you know what NAT is or a firewall is ? how being proprietary makes it possible to go through a firewall ??? complete non-sense ? do you know how Network protocols work ??? totally different issues

Btw, Skype use port 80 (http) to bypass NAT and firewalls. The application protocol has nothing to do with the network protocol.

Butterfly - Glad to see someone's sharp today!!

You win a free case of Chang for spotting my deliberate mistake! - Collect from me in Prakonchai.

Yes I'm well aware of the use of Network Address Tables and Firewalls!

Thats how I earned my living before retiring to Thailand!!

The Skype service uses a peer-to-peer networking scheme, (just like Kazaa did) whereby, connected PC’s assist in routing one another's calls around the network.

Skype use of this routing technology so removes the requirement of central servers and directories, so call delivery is free for PC to PC calls.

The proprietary protocols are actually a set of audio Codecs, which, depending on the available bandwidth, transmit or receive voice data rates from 3 to 18 Kbps better than ordinary telephone calls. The service also uses end-to-end encryption using 256-bit AES

• 2 weeks later...

Not available from UK yet. Have the beta version but clicking on the dialer just tells you to check for new developments. Still plenty of alternatives here but will be handy when I return to LOS.