Leisure travellers unlikely to visit Thailand until next year

webfact

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Until there are no entry requirements and all entertainment is open, there will be no (or few) tourists.

No medical tests.

No documents (beyond a passport).

No insurance.

No forced bookings in special hotels.

No restrictions on tourist activities (free to drink alcohol with friends round your pool, etc.)

Restaurants, bars and nightclubs all open and selling alcohol.

Tell that to the rest of the world as Thailand is not the only country with covid restrictions. 

As for alcohol restrictions - although I don't mind a drink or few now and then, I don't choose my holiday places based on drinks (or bar girls) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, alyx said:

That is for sure, but there are quite a few countries not imposing quarantine upon return whose vaccinated Nationals will not come because of the quarantine and the administrative difficulties they would have to go through to set foot in Thailand

Well, that does include the mandatory hotel quarantine for vaccinated people who would, otherwise, choose to stay at their Thai homes.

Exactly  !!! 2 buildings where I live are now occupied by bus loads of quarantined people for the past 3 months  !!! How do I know? I had to move out and relocate from Star 3 Residence Rayong to 200 feet away... gave me no choice !!! 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Jeez, I woud have thought a man in his position would know the rules. There is no quarantine for fully vaccinated travellers - they just have to wait one night ????????????.

A bit of Thai semantics involved. ????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pravda said:

Looking at some expat Facebook groups, some already came and are already looking for advice about their stunning new 29 year old fully tattooed virgin.

That 29yo also turned out to be a ladyboy. I wish I was joking. The post was quickly removed after some of his new found love pictures were posted. 

Oh they will come in droves. The power of ????

The power of (insert image of cute cat)

The authorities will be happy enough with the trickle. When the industry starts complaining the government will say... they're coming, they're coming look at the numbers. But really, the arrivals are nothing.

I'm so glad I reconciled my head and dropped the plan to go to US for three weeks. 12000b cheap hotel for one night 2 pax. F that. Multiple PCR test. ThaiPass not working. Total $TRE$$ doesn't look like a win for me.

Edited by Chad3000
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Well I'm not on holiday, I live here and have done so for 10 years, I haven't been out for a beer with my mates for over 7 months, I really would like to sit & have a beer and some banter with guys I've known for years, not a criticism of your post, just an observation.

A bit off topic - sorry  - but just wanted to show the irregularities & inconsistencies in LOS.   In Kanchanaburi where we live - most bars closed - and just the odd restaurant serving sneaky beer in coffee mugs. Just spent the weekend in Buri Ram - everything open - bars , clubs - my cracking hangover yesterday was a testament to that!  Things will change...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wombat said:

no bars no booze no, bless their cotton panty, entertainment ....why would you bother coming to Thailand?

You´re supposed to visit temples and overpriced national parks, and play golf, don´t you know ?

Edited by starfish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As long as leisure travelers are faced with a regulatory gauntlet and domestic restrictions, they will go to destinations that are easier to enter and where they can relax and enjoy their vacations.

Next year?  That's overly optimistic.  Thailand will be having this same discussion this time next year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Northern Finland is nice during Christmas.

This is funny but parts of Germany et al. are really wonderful in the winter, and I would consider those over Thailand's restrictions but for a little thing called Covid. And Italy feels colder to me in winter, but it is doing relatively well in containing the virus, and it and some other Mediterranean locations will no doubt be an alternative to Thailand under this regime for many. 

Could someone please Let me know what this new Thai Pass that keeps coming up on here, what it all about and who has to have it. I have tried looking it up on line but so much of it is in Thai and bit are in English don't make any scents . I'm from Aussie we don't need visa, and are planning to come over in May so was hoping things like quarantine and extra will be done with and I would only need proof that I have been double Vax and test negative. Will be flying from Taiwan to CM. there is so much BS from our gov and Thai gov i might turn into a ladyboy and have better luck. I just want to get out of this hell hole here and back to LOL. Thanks for any help.   

11 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Well I'm not on holiday, I live here and have done so for 10 years, I haven't been out for a beer with my mates for over 7 months, I really would like to sit & have a beer and some banter with guys I've known for years, not a criticism of your post, just an observation.

Hasn't one of them or you got a house....? I had a few guys round, they brought a cold box. It was actually okay as no goons bothering you every 20 seconds to buy a fake watch or other such <deleted>....one brought his Mrs and she drove them back... in the meantime off she goes to chomp on som tam with my good lady and complain about the guys and compare how much money they get!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Let's be real a minute. Just see how much easier it is to go to Mexico or Colombia, as an example. Countries that offer:

- splendid beaches, great climates (more pleasant than Thailand IMO);

- beautiful cities with great architecture and lovely parks, where it is a pleasure to walk around for hours  - compare with the dumps that you get as cities in Thailand; and who gives a #@¨$ about the horrible, garishly painted concrete buildings ubiquitous in Thailand?

- scores of great museums (in Mexico) - anyone can recommend great museums in Thailand???

- not more expensive than Thailand - maybe even cheaper;

- I was going to forget : people one can hold discussions with (OK, if reasonably up to speed in Spanish) - anyone can remember ever having real discussions with the locals in Thailand, I mean passed the 3 words sentences "it's hot today", "the food is great", "I'm tired" and so on?

OK, I will admit that I find the food better in Thailand, and certainly the women much cuter too. But not everyone visits a country for the women. Thailand just obstinately ignore they have serious competition elsewhere.

That's destination preference. Nothing to do with covid restrictions. 

13 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Ummm... the op was about leisure travellers coming to Thailand. Not what's possible or not for expats (or Thais) that live here. 

17 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

No smart traveler will come here while the policy of hospitalizing someone for 2 weeks after a positive test exists. Even with insurance, the problem is lost holiday time. 

No smart traveler should leave home, testing positive on holiday means quarantine in one form or another wherever you go.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/tips/overseas-test-positive-covid/

I received my Thailand Pass, to return to my Bangkok home of 30 years, five days after applying.  I completed my Thai partner’s application an hour later with all appropriate documents, same AZ vaccination certificates as mine etc. Acknowledgement of Registration was received within hours. It’s now eight days and the QR Code has not been received by him. His Visitor Visa in Australia and Thai passport are both due to expire. He has to leave Australia. He can’t without a Thailand Pass. Of course I can’t return to Thailand and desert him in Australia. There’s no one to turn to. And they say not to apply again “because it confuses the system!” It’s a disgusting, shameful disaster. ????

• Sad 1