Health insurance = Travel insurance right?

chaam

Can someone please clarify this for me? I've always had travel insurance which incorporates health insurance (medical emergencies etc or any other illness which would include a hospital stay ) so why are the Thai authorities now calling it health insurance? Don't get it? Or are they making it mandatory to take out health insurance with one of their 'recommended' insurers? Advice appreciated,thanks.

In Sweden your travel insurance is void for travel to Thailand as the Swedish foreign ministry advises against travel to Thailand.

Therefore you need to have a health insurance that specifically covers Covid.

I got an insurance from a Danish company before traveling.

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Travel insurance with medical & Covid would work

It doesn't specify Covid cover on the policy but having spoken to the company,provided that we aren't travelling against the advice of the foreign office,which we aren't, then cover is provided regardless of what illness/ injury you are suffering with providing that we have disclosed any pre existing medical conditions, which we have.

26 minutes ago, chaam said:

It doesn't specify Covid cover on the policy but having spoken to the company,provided that we aren't travelling against the advice of the foreign office,which we aren't, then cover is provided regardless of what illness/ injury you are suffering with providing that we have disclosed any pre existing medical conditions, which we have.

Covid 19 needs to be stated clearly i hear, not lost in the print or they may  reject

• Like 2

Thailand just requires that incoming travelers have health cover. It could be through a travel policy (in which case offers only emergencies, not all health needs) or could be a general health policy. It does not need to be from a Thai company and the powers that be really do not care as long as you are insured and will create unpaid hospital bills.

Incidentally not all travel insurance includes medical. Many do, but not all.

There have been innumerable "Go Fund Me" campaigns over the years started by people who came to Thailand completely uninsured and then had a bad accident, heart attack or stroke etc. And a lot of unpaid bills at government hospitals in touristy areas.