Transfering my house (company name)

Hi all, I have owned a house here (company Name) for 16 years. I am planning on going back to live in UK, and handing the property over to my long term GF of 11 years.

We have just been told by my bookkeeper, it will cost around 100,000 bht to transfer to her name. The house is worth around 2 mil, is this price about correct ?

Many thanks for your info guys

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The figure appears correct, around 5%.

You could just make your GF the new company director. a lot cheaper.

Great if she wants to own a company............................

On 11/9/2021 at 9:55 AM, rocky123 said:

We have just been told by my bookkeeper, it will cost around 100,000 bht to transfer to her name. The house is worth around 2 mil, is this price about correct ?

You can use the property tax calculator HERE to check tax and transfer fee.

Be aware that in principle it's the company that sells the property when it's transferred out from company ownership, so in principle the company shall be paid, and the income belongs to the company and it's shareholders.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, bojo said:

Great if she wants to own a company............................

No, when property is transferred to a Thai national, it's transferred out of the company. If you keep the company as property owner, you don't transfer the property, you transfer ownership of voting majority of shares in the company...????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

No, when property is transferred to a Thai national, it's transferred out of the company. If you keep the company as property owner, you don't transfer the property, you transfer ownership of voting majority of shares in the company...????

Not so Mr. Per........................Peter42 suggested making her the director (to save property taxes) and I replied 'great if she wants to own a company'.............................................Transferring to a Thai name is a different thing, that is not what Peter was insinuating........................................................many Thais own companies which have multiple properties, quite common for business people.............................

Did the same 16 years ago, for about 50 or 60k

probably saved more than that on the annual fees.

Dump the Company.

Great to be free of lawyers and uninteresting bits of paper.

Edited by talahtnut
spelling

1 hour ago, bojo said:

Not so Mr. Per........................Peter42 suggested making her the director (to save property taxes) and I replied 'great if she wants to own a company'.............................................Transferring to a Thai name is a different thing, that is not what Peter was insinuating........................................................many Thais own companies which have multiple properties, quite common for business people.............................

Being director of a company does not give you ownership over anything, the director is just an employee until the shareholders elects a replacement. To control a company you need the shares that holds the majority of the voting rights. In the long run you might not save anything if the company has no other activities than owning the said property, as it costs money just to keep a shell company running.  Yes, Thai nationals that owns companies for property ownership are business matters, most foreigners owning a company for property is for nominee ownership of a property, which seems to be the case here...????

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Being director of a company does not give you ownership over anything, the director is just an employee until the shareholders elects a replacement. To control a company you need the shares that holds the majority of the voting rights. In the long run you might not save anything if the company has no other activities than owning the said property, as it costs money just to keep a shell company running.  Yes, Thai nationals that owns companies for property ownership are business matters, most foreigners owning a company for property is for nominee ownership of a property, which seems to be the case here...????

Hence my post 'great if she wants to own a Thai company'............................................

• Like 1

If the house ends up in your GF's name -then there are 3 issues to consider.

Transfer at the land office.

As far as the land office is concerned your transaction is a sale i.e. you are selling the house to your GF . All transfer taxes have to be paid. The sales price is zero Baht. The 100,000 Baht figure is about right if the appraised value is 2MBaht. This value could well be a lot less.

The other share  holders. They are entitled to their share of the sales price.

Getting rid of the Company

Typically this is about 85,000 Baht

Given that you are leaving Thailand -and I assume not returning-then you may consider doing nothing about closing down the company. 

Your accountant will advise against this.