Cabinet approves Molnupiravir antiviral procurement budget

snoop1130

d5c919a9d344709938ff482e21961f8a_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Cabinet has approved the allocation of a 500 million baht budget for the purchase of Molnupiravir drug for COVID-19 treatment.

The Cabinet has approved the additional 1.335 billion baht budget proposed for COVID-19 response, which includes a 500 million baht budget for the procurement of Molnupiravir antiviral. The procurement will be handled by the Department of Medical Services. Deputy Government Spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul said the approved budget will be allocated from the annual budget for the 2022 fiscal year, and the government’s central budget.

The Office of Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Public Health will be receiving 528.4 million baht, while the Department of Disease Control will be receiving 58.165 million baht. The remaining 248.38 million baht will be allocated to the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine.

The Cabinet has also approved the extension of the disbursement period beyond the end of fiscal year deadline, and for unused amounts from last year’s budget for Cabinet-approved projects.

The 1.335 billion baht budget will fund the continued pandemic response operations from October to December this year, with the objectives of raising public confidence, increasing immunity among the population and reducing fatalities, stimulating economic recoveries, and allowing the general public to resume socio-cultural activities.

These operations aim to protect Thailand’s population from the disease, particularly healthcare professionals, frontline workers, elders, people with underlying health conditions, and pregnant women.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1

I had Covid in June in Chantaburi - my pre-flight PCR was positive !! Literally collected from home and taken to the Public Hospital, I was given 'favipiravir', a Japanese antiviral, (8 pills am and pm on day 1).

I quickly transferred to BKKH for the 14 days in Hospital and they prescribed the same. Happily I got through with only a few bad moments despite other medical issues.

Just MO but If these treatments are approved by FDA and the like, it's worth going with it. Favipiravir has been available FREE in Govt. Hospitals from early on in the pandemic - let's hope Molnupiravir can help too.

Meantime, the search for a 'Universal' covid vaccine, continues . . . . .   ?

• Like 1

So the cost of this new drug Molnupiravir for Thailand can now be worked out. Each country will have a different price based on World Bank country rankings.......

250 Baht a pill.

10,000 Baht for a course of pills. (40 = 8 per day X 5 days.)

50,000 courses only to be purchased (Down from initial 200,000)

Purchase cost = 500 million Baht.

I would be very surprised if this gets sent to anywhere other than Bangkok and Buriram.

Perhaps Paxlovid (Pfizer) with it's better efficacy (89%) against Molnupiravir (50%) is the way to go; subject to pricing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

I had Covid in June in Chantaburi - my pre-flight PCR was positive !! Literally collected from home and taken to the Public Hospital, I was given 'favipiravir', a Japanese antiviral, (8 pills am and pm on day 1).

I quickly transferred to BKKH for the 14 days in Hospital and they prescribed the same. Happily I got through with only a few bad moments despite other medical issues.

Just MO but If these treatments are approved by FDA and the like, it's worth going with it. Favipiravir has been available FREE in Govt. Hospitals from early on in the pandemic - let's hope Molnupiravir can help too.

Meantime, the search for a 'Universal' covid vaccine, continues . . . . .   ?

I am still looking forward to see a Covid vaccine developed.