lelapin

23 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

30 cents a minute to Belgium mobiles is not too cheap.

UK rates are 13p a minute landline and 15p a minute mobiles. I think Skype can beat those rates.

What about Google Duo, anyone? How does it work?

Ais has a special international rate with a prefix number , and that is around same 20 eurocents to mobile 

I called once a friend on HIS landline for 18 minutes for 2 Euro , as i have still my Belgium number to use as I.D number ( not crediting  just use as I.D. ) as then lower prize 0,05 Eurocent 

Mobile with a E.U. i.d. number for 0,20 euro (can not compare with "pack's" it is just occasional cheap calling rate

And Belgium always bin a expensive country for calls internet and so (no freedays to Belgium ,but  yes to Netherlands )

Edited by david555

16 hours ago, Chris.B said:

UK rates are 13p a minute landline and 15p a minute mobiles. I think Skype can beat those rates.

Skype to UK landline is 2.3¢ per minute and to mobile 10¢ per minute or about 2p and 8p.

45 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

You can only call phones that have the app installed.

It's seems that is no longer the case....

Can I call anyone using Duo?

According to Android Police, Duo users can now call people who don't have the app installed and who haven't registered with the service. ... This is all thanks to the App Preview Messaging feature, which allows Android users to use supported messaging apps to contact people who don't have said app installed.Jan 12, 2561 BE

Skype is handy and cheap. I still use it occasionally for long chats with friends in the  UK if I am at home on my computer.

I believe calls are free for users of apps such as Signal, Telegram and WhatsApp if used over wifi. Providing of course both parties have the same app.

Can also do video calls.

For iPhone users there is also Facetime for both audio and video calls.

If any of these apps are used over the cellular network, there may be a charge.

The other alternatives for cheap calls are those code numbers such as AIS use:

003 and 005

• Like 1