Elderly Expats Conversations

Enaka

Enaka I would be interested to know what these food supplements and vitamins are, and which particular conditions are improved by them. Not the sort of post you were seeking I realise but I hope you feel able to reply. 

18 hours ago, rwill said:

Edge browser you can right click on a web page and then select 'translate to xxxxx', whatever your main language is set to.  I would imagine other browsers have a similar function.  It can help some.  But translating Thai to other languages is problematic.

Edge is a dreadful website, on the very rare times I go on to it, it is always in Thai, takes a bit of time to find English, it just won't stay in English at all, it always reverts back to Thai after a short time, that is why I hardly ever use it.

19 hours ago, Enaka said:

Added comment:

Benmart, I envy you.

And I see you are in Pattaya.

Lots of elderly expats there.

Not like Bangkok.

Over the years, I've tried five different gyms here.

99% youngsters.

Opportunities at gyms to get acquainted with other expats in my age range have been zilch!

(Except for one old guy who wanted to tell me about his gout.)

Maybe I should I move to Pattaya and join a gym there.

If you like regular exercise like I do, forget about gyms, they are full of steroid taking over muscled monkey men, nothing beats cycling or swimming for old timers.

The main thing when in your seventies IMO, is keeping your weight down, so that helps with your health. At 6ft tall and around 75Ks, that does me.

16 hours ago, rct99q said:

Here are some suggestions:

Hang a sign around your neck stating you need a friend

Go to Tesco/Macro/BigC, whatever and engage in conversation with any foreigner.

Hang around a Swensons or Starbucks and when an appropriate person comes in, ask to join them

Take out a personal ad in Thaitiger or BP

Create a website for elderly foreigner looking for like minded companions.

Try to find a local group of LGBTQ's. Wonderful group of people if just looking for conversations. 

Volunteer for any number of support groups, suicide help, AA, GA, etc. Prisoner visitor support groups.

Hang out at a local medical clinic and ask people for advice

Check out local restaurants for pool, darts, quiz nights. Etc. Even though you may not play you can always provide vocal support.

Use massage parlour, call girls, ask them if they know any clients your age and could they hook you up.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Last idea - nice one!

I live a normal married life,dont mix much with other expats, justnow and again,they are married as well, my wife and son speak very good English ,they both lived in the UK for many years before we came back here,our son now runs a company and my wife runs a lot,but we go everywhere together and are best friends,such a shame i am 20 years older than her and will be gone first ,but she has a great family,and very good friends who all speak English as well,so i converse with them ,i dont speak Thai but i usually can understand what they are talking about .

My life here has been very good,but then all of my life has been very good,in fact its been a blast.

15 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

'But how does an old man travel when he has to pee frequently'.

We sometimes drive from Khon Kaen to Hua Hin. We obviously use the toll roads to get across Bangkok.  Like you, I need frequent <deleted> stops.

Once you start you are stuck on nearly 100 km of various toll roads with no service centres. The transit can take 2 hours if the traffic is heavy. Woe betide anyone who descends to the ground level roads in search of a toilet. if you are a stranger to Bangkok. It will take you hours to struggle back to a tollway (going in the wrong direction).

take a plastic bottle thats how we traveled long distance years ago ... not ideal but it works 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

take a plastic bottle thats how we traveled long distance years ago ... not ideal but it works 

Just look up 'urine bag' on Lazada or Shopee - not only useful for those of us as stoma overflow also available with adaptions for direct use by those who still have functioning plumbing.  

• Like 1