Tourist faces huge bill, separation from family after testing positive on arrival in Thailand

webfact

On 11/10/2021 at 2:22 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I dunno , it depends on how you word it on your insurance claim . 

*I had just arrived at the airport and then a group of three masked men came and accosted me , they stuck something up my nose and then forcible whisked me off to a room where they locked me in for 14 days and wouldn't release  me unless I paid them 325 000 Baht *

Or perhaps...

I had just arrived at the airport when a group of three masked men came and accosted me. I was face raped against my will by a man with a long probe and then forcibly imprisoned in a room for 14 days. I was held hostage until I paid them a ransom of 325,000 Baht.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Capt Rob said:

Here is a link to a on topic article.

Basically it is " Buyer Beware " regarding insurance as they contract out of any Covid related liability.  Unless otherwise stated  https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2021/11/11/a-quick-trip-around-the-covid-changed-world-of-travel-insurance/?

Australian article but relevant.

I think you need to click the link in my post and actually look at the insurance type that I linked to.

10 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

When you say "Axa has an excellent policy", do yo mean:

1. I bought this policy AND I made a claim AND Axa did pay accordingly to the brochure

or

2. You read the policy online and you've the feeling that this policy is good?

or

3. You work for Axa?

Please clarify

BTW, they have an "excellent travel insurance policy" with coverage of personal items....

Great!!!

The trick is that, if you make a claim, they do want to see the original receipts / invoices for these personal items (socks, shirts, etc.). Who, in his right mind, would keep this kind of receipts?

If you bought the policy I linked to I don't think you would be submitting original receipts for personal items, as from what I understand, kidnappers don't usually let you out to do clothes shopping.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:37 AM, ianguygil said:

Nor am I wrong about the UK. I arrived on August 29. I left on October 1. I did not talk about the rules today. I talk about when I travelled. 

As for your fantasies about the Thai authorities being dishonest and the Western ones being so clean and correct, it is the type of racism that always makes me wonder why foreigners are members of a Thai forum if they dislike Thailand so much. The numbers or people dying are comparable. If you look at the Excess Deaths in the UK, in the USA and Thailand, it seems that the UK and USA are way under counting. Russia is the worst, but the UK is no role model at all. 

No, the rule of UK is always being 'self isolation' if arrived from non-red countries and tested Covid after arrival, There is no forced quarantine hotels as long as you arrive from Green or Amber countries (and have not been to red countries in last 10 days). If you have symptoms, you can go to NHS and get treated. Still, no fee whatsoever.

So the poster was rightly point our your misunderstanding about UK system. You were wrong.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sanookmike said:

Already expressed my concerns with the PCR test on arrival being a gamble due to false positives etc, saying that tho they do give you a list of things that you shouldn't do up to 30 mins before taking it so you don't spoil the test... Maybe he was positive before he departed. 

Not heard anything recent about close contact on the plane but the guy that shared the taxi knew the other person and was in the same "party", they won't bundle you in a cab with a stranger.

I was told by the AQ hotel that if anyone else on my plane is going to same hotel as me we will both be in the same van from airport.......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Come to think of it, the option of Thailand proposing a 500 Baht Hospitalisation Fee for each arrival looks very attractive in this situation.  Furthermore, all visitors don't have to worry about insurance requirement for their Thailand Pass application.  Win-win for all.

I didn't think that the proposed 500 Baht fee was for that purpose.

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I was told by the AQ hotel that if anyone else on my plane is going to same hotel as me we will both be in the same van from airport.......

I'm pretty sure you can pay for private transport.  That's what we did for the Phuket sandbox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

I didn't think that the proposed 500 Baht fee was for that purpose.

My understanding is that it was intended to create a very large fund to cover medical/hospital expenses of foreign tourists who don't have/don't have enough health insurance cover for the period they are in Thailand.

But let's keep in mind that this needs to be approached in a way which doesn't generate some form of corruption (could easily happen) or some attitude of 'I used to take a 'special' health policy when I was away on holidays now I won't bother.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm pretty sure you can pay for private transport.  That's what we did for the Phuket sandbox.

Id be tempted to walk but they prob would nab me if i escaped.....i thought the hotels tout a "private" ride....quickly changed that tune...

And they should be held liable should someone get pulled if sitting in same van with a positive covid dude

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sanookmike said:

Strange certain hotels must be doing their own thing, I know for a fact the one I booked is a private transfer and I saw others stating this but this was Bangkok and Pattaya. Phuket they seem to do their own thing so that could explain it if you are booked there. 

Easy solution for you is to just be awkward.. refuse to get in the van with somone else. You have good reason not too and I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be doing it, i can't remember the exact term I read (had a few singha's ????) but it was something like bio secure which is a private taxi with a bit of plastic between you and the driver.

Yep they mentioned the high tech plastic sheet..........this is all one big <deleted> shoot....just gonna have to roll with it as it comes--welcome to the squid games...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

With the taking of passport Isnt that illegal as its not yours--its property of your countrys gov.

I've never had to leave a passport, but have always had to put a deposit down immediately.  A few times, it was a very big deposit.  Quite a few tourists do leave the country before paying their bills. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Id be tempted to walk but they prob would nab me if i escaped.....i thought the hotels tout a "private" ride....quickly changed that tune...

And they should be held liable should someone get pulled if sitting in same van with a positive covid dude

That picture was from a friend last week in Bangkok.  Our ride in Phuket was in a normal sedan.  No shield.  The driver wasn't even wearing a mask.  But it was a private vehicle.  After a long flight, waiting for others in a cramped van isn't fun. LOL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Need bubble suits for all of the passengers as well, might as well put everyone in a PPE suit with an APR

PICS: VP Chiwenga Takes No Chances With Coronavirus, Wears ...

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre here.  We just did a long trip.  To the US, several places in Europe, and transited in UAE.  Around 15 airports in all.  NEVER saw anything like we did on arrival here in Thailand.  Beyond bizarre.  I lost it when they asked for my docs for the 4th time at the airport!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've never had to leave a passport, but have always had to put a deposit down immediately.  A few times, it was a very big deposit.  Quite a few tourists do leave the country before paying their bills. 

they went to my hostel years ago to nab my PP after I was laid up with dengue......but if u read the PP it states who "owns" it.....and it aint us..hence "illegal"?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

they went to my hostel years ago to nab my PP after I was laid up with dengue......but if u read the PP it states who "owns" it.....and it aint us..hence "illegal"?

https://passportinfo.com/blog/passport-seizure/

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 1:39 PM, ukrules said:

Big gamble visiting Thailand right now, make a list of different countries and what they do when someone tests positive.

Go to the places that don't lock you up.

Where would that be?

Nearly every country in the world will quarantine those that test positive on arrival.

Laos will quarantine all arrivals for 14 days as a matter of course.

• Like 2