Tourist faces huge bill, separation from family after testing positive on arrival in Thailand

webfact

23 hours ago, Chris.B said:

350,000 baht hospital bill, nearly £8,000 for 10 day stay! Must be a good room at 35,000 baht a night!

ICU is about 30K baht / day at a local provate hospital. So make of that fee what you will:) They mus use the most expensive paracetamol in existence lol

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Imagine you have your 2 vaccines.

Self-isolate 2 weeks  at home before your flight to eliminate all possible risks of an infection. You do your test before flying.

You arrive in BKK and come into close contact with a thai person let's inside the airplane or stepping out of the aircraft, walking inside the airport, paper checking or whatever.

The thai person was not required to do a test before flying.

Thai person tests positive and you, the unlucky farang who was close to that person, you will pay the price and off you go for your 2 weeks "holidays in hell".

They should make it compulsory for everyone "thais included" to have both vaccines and test negative before flying.

This is a good point.  So many if not all flights contain unvaccinated people sitting alongside vaccinated people?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

It appears that you are the one that does not know what the word "contagious" means not me
con·ta·gious
/kənˈtājəs/
adjective
(of a disease) spread from one person or organism to another by direct or indirect contact.
"a contagious infection"
(of an emotion, feeling, or attitude) likely to spread to and affect others.

I see you are able to copy&paste correctly. Congratulations.

But sadly you do not understand what your pasted word means.

You said, Covid19 is the most contagious desease of the current world, didn't you?

That's wrong.

The by far most contgious desease is the Common Cold, followed by Influenza, Conjunctivitis, Viral Gastroenteritis, and Strep Throat.

So if you wanted to say Cov19 is currently the the desease infecting more people than others, then you should learn to express youself properly.

But even that would be wrong.

Just trying to help... ????

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

You are wrong about entry requirements to the US. It only reopened to non-US citizens at the beginning of the week and the requirements for entry are clearly laid out - ESTA, C19 test within 72 hours of travel and agreement to do one 3-5 days after arrival for contact tracing. I am travelling there next month from the UK btw....

Your comments about entry to the UK are not correct either. There is no longer a red list and associated quarantine hotels. You have to complete a passenger locator form prior to entering the UK and register a lateral flow test on it, which is submitted on day 2. If you fail that, you are asked to self isolate for 10 days. No enforced stay in a quarantine hotel. 

As for your comments about death rates, if you seriously believe the Thai figures are comparable with those taken in the UK and USA, you must be joking right?

Keep wearing the tin foil hat and let people get on with their lives. Vaccines were developed to prevent serious illness and death and have done a terrific job in that respect. I'm sure you'd have us walking around in masks ad infinitum in a perpetual state of fear. 

Unless I'm missing something then the statement regarding the US only opening to non-US citizens this week is incorrect. My Thai national girlfriend and her Thai national son entered the US in May 2021 on tourist visa's. 

23 hours ago, Chris.B said:

350,000 baht hospital bill, nearly £8,000 for 10 day stay! Must be a good room at 35,000 baht a night!

or maybe trying to get someone to set up a collect money form me campaign...I am being sarcastic  

2 hours ago, RafPinto said:

They should make it compulsory for everyone "thais included" to have both vaccines and test negative before flying.

Any and all persons flying scheduled commercial flights must present a negative PCR test. Thai nationals were exempt for only repatriation flights. (Thai Embassy Los Angeles)

With the verified number of false positive tests that continue to occur worldwide, One would think anyone testing positive, with no symptoms...would request a second test before agreeing to the cost of any quarantine.  Especially because everyone entering the Kingdom was already required to test within 72 hours of their flight departure!

37 minutes ago, vinci said:

honestly you can't blame the Thai for what they do, why not blame the retard people that thinking its a good time to travel, they made the choice, maybe get some common sense next time, now they paying the price

Well for one, the Thai Government is falling all over themselves to bring tourism back...

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 2:43 AM, Gold Star said:

Getting in and out of Thailand is too risky at this time. Better off taking a holiday in Afghanistan. 

Looking at a number of alternatives. Sri Lanka, India, Belize, Costa Rica, Equador.  And the city of Asunción in Paraguay is a bit tempting. 

On 11/10/2021 at 1:20 PM, Bkk Brian said:

Not only if you test positive but as in the OP even if you test negative and were next to someone in the car or plane you still get carted off for 2 weeks. I doubt any International Insurance companies will pay out for this? Even if they do you also need to ensure they pay out there and then and not make you pay first.  Probably only Thai Insurance companies will cover this.

"Probably only Thai Insurance companies will cover this". No they won't.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Farangus said:

Thai health insurance for foreigners costs about 3,000 baht per month (average price). Currently, among those who arrived, 0.1% with a positive test. This means that approximately 1 in 1000 people have a positive PCR test upon arrival.
1000 people x 3000 baht = 3 million baht for every thousand people.
Even if we take into account the amount of 350,000 baht (hospital and quarantine hotel for the all family), Thai insurance companies still have 2,650 thousand baht in net profit for every thousand arrivals.
Of course, the calculations are approximate, because not all arriving are foreigners, Thais do not pay for insurance (but they do not need an expensive private hospital). But in any case, this is a grandiose fraud on the part of the Thai authorities.
If they really wanted to get a large number of tourists, it is enough to charge everyone 300-500 baht of special insurance that covers everything (treatment, quarantine hotel, etc.). Insurance companies will not be at a loss, but all tourists will be guaranteed to be protected from large payments and will leave much more money in Thailand for the lives of local residents. Unfortunately, the Thai authorities do not want to understand this (or are simply not interested in it).

the problem with your (admittedly sensible) idea is that if insurance is included by a special fee then the Thai insurer has little or no chance of rejecting you out of hand and leaving you with a bloody big bill.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

the problem with your (admittedly sensible) idea is that if insurance is included by a special fee then the Thai insurer has little or no chance of rejecting you out of hand and leaving you with a bloody big bill.

I understand this, but I'm sad that the monetary interests of several insurance companies (and, possibly, generals interested in this) are valued higher than the lives and well-being of millions of Thais (who are in dire need of tourist money).

• Like 2

Yesterday, 2,019 people flew into #Thailand with four of them testing positive. This brings the total since 1st November to 30,538 arrivals and 35 infections (0.11%). Most are taking part in Test & Go (19,949 | 0.09% infected) and most landed at Suvarnbhumi airport (19,513)

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1458718019090223104

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 2:02 PM, redsongthaew said:

AXA have an excellent policy:

https://axaxl.com/insurance/products/security-risks

When you say "Axa has an excellent policy", do yo mean:

1. I bought this policy AND I made a claim AND Axa did pay accordingly to the brochure

or

2. You read the policy online and you've the feeling that this policy is good?

or

3. You work for Axa?

Please clarify

BTW, they have an "excellent travel insurance policy" with coverage of personal items....

Great!!!

The trick is that, if you make a claim, they do want to see the original receipts / invoices for these personal items (socks, shirts, etc.). Who, in his right mind, would keep this kind of receipts?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

ICU is about 30K baht / day at a local provate hospital. So make of that fee what you will:) They mus use the most expensive paracetamol in existence lol

Last time i stayed 11 hours in hospital in BKK..48.000 bath..pay or they take my passport.Land of scammers.They wanted me to stay 1 day more.Told them to f... off.I went back to norway.No problems the doctor here told me.

• Like 1

Sri Lanka vs current Thai system

Vaccinations and vaccinated travel

Travelers who present a valid international certificate for full vaccination against COVID-19, with the use of an approved vaccine, are exempt from testing on arrival, quarantine, and testing on day 14 after arrival requirements.

https://www.skyscanner.net/travel-restrictions/Sri Lanka/29475281?origin=29475375

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MaiChai said:

Hope the international press pick up on this story up. What they don't tell you will happen if you arrive in Bangkok and test positive!

Most people who are vaccinated will suffer bad flu symptoms for a couple of days if they get covid; they certainly don't need to go to hospital unless their health deteriorates.

Yep. No offence to Richard Barrow but this is a BBC worthy story solely on the merits of Thailand's shenanigans.

1 minute ago, AndresSP said:

Yep. No offence to Richard Barrow but this is a BBC worthy story solely on the merits of Thailand's shenanigans.

And yet he is the only one interviewing such people bringing it to the attention of the World?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

And yet he is the only one interviewing such people bringing it to the attention of the World?

There is still a good chance this incident or one the next ones, as they are surely coming, is picked up by British/Aussie tabloids. Imagine the creative headlines it can generate. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AndresSP said:

There is still a good chance this incident or one the next ones, as they are surely coming, is picked up by British/Aussie tabloids. Imagine the creative headlines it can generate. 

It already went to the Independent, but nothing since, seems no-one really cares ????

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/thailand-pass-reopening-rules-paperwork-b1954324.html

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1