Tourist faces huge bill, separation from family after testing positive on arrival in Thailand

webfact

32 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

With the taking of passport Isnt that illegal as its not yours--its property of your countrys gov.

Yeah well arguing that point with several immigration police having just arrived might be tough. You might be correct though as someone I knew had his passport held by a hospital until he paid the bill... he got a lawyer involved ,and got it back.. and promptly got on a plane leaving the bill unpaid!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've never had to leave a passport, but have always had to put a deposit down immediately.  A few times, it was a very big deposit.  Quite a few tourists do leave the country before paying their bills. 

Which is why you'll sometimes find a hotel where the daily rate must be paid every 24 hrs and in advance.

Plenty of hotels also encounter guests who disappear and take the towels, hair dryer, mini-bar contents etc. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Asia-Insight/Tourism-proves-hazardous-to-Thai-hospitals-financial-health

The Public Health Ministry said unpaid bills at hospitals across the nation came to 448 million baht in a year through September 2019.

I vaguely recall reading that tourists were to be charged some fee upon entering Thailand specifically to cover unpaid hospital bills.

No symptoms for either. And the government not sure of the efficacy of their tests? Hmmm.

"Foreigners should also be urged to check with their insurance companies if their policy covers them for quarantine and other expenses in the event of a positive test. "

Has anyone found an insurance policy that would cover possible quarantine costs? 5555 What company would be that foolish?

The policy would have to cost, umm, maybe $20,000? $30,000? $40,000? No problem for the rich tourists they want? But, then they got rich by not wasting money.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Come to think of it, the option of Thailand proposing a 500 Baht Hospitalisation Fee for each arrival looks very attractive in this situation.  Furthermore, all visitors don't have to worry about insurance requirement for their Thailand Pass application.  Win-win for all.

They've already done this a few months ago. Now, they want the insurance on top of it.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Kirovs tells me his family have been released from quarantine after testing negative for 2nd time. However, he doesn’t have any news about his fate. He is expecting to stay in hospital for at least 10 days. But they are not clear if he needs to do quarantine after that.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1459028062343892993

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 3:46 PM, LivinLOS said:

And heres the real heart of the problem.. They dont have clear defined policies that are then stuck to.. On anything.. 

One persona has 10 days hospital.. Another has 14 days quarantine.. The famiuly might get allowed out after a test on day 3 or 4.. Maybe.. Who knows.. 

Its entirely at the mercy of Somchais random mood on the day.. Like immigration.. Like motor vehicle sales and inspections.. like.. Etc.. 

That’s because grey areas are great money earners

• Like 2

5 hours ago, elgenon said:

No symptoms for either. And the government not sure of the efficacy of their tests? Hmmm.

"Foreigners should also be urged to check with their insurance companies if their policy covers them for quarantine and other expenses in the event of a positive test. "

Has anyone found an insurance policy that would cover possible quarantine costs? 5555 What company would be that foolish?

The policy would have to cost, umm, maybe $20,000? $30,000? $40,000? No problem for the rich tourists they want? But, then they got rich by not wasting money.

My policy had an overseas quarantine allowance and it didn't cost me anything.

20 hours ago, redsongthaew said:

If you bought the policy I linked to I don't think you would be submitting original receipts for personal items, as from what I understand, kidnappers don't usually let you out to do clothes shopping.

OK, let me rephrase it:

When you say "Axa has an excellent policy", did you mean:

1. You did buy this policy AND you did make a claim AND Axa did pay accordingly to the brochure

or

2. You just read the policy online and you've the feeling that this policy is good?

or

3. You work, directly or indirectly, for Axa and you're very keen to promote their products?

Please clarify

Why do I ask for your clarification? The same company seems to have an "excellent travel insurance policy" with high level of coverage for personal items....

However,

The trick is that, when you make a claim, they do ask for the original receipts / invoices for these personal items (socks, shirts, etc.). Who, in his right mind, would keep this kind of receipts?

If they're "picky" to reimburse the theft of personal items (less than Euro1,000), how can we trust the same when the amount of money involved is much higher?

19 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Id be tempted to walk but they prob would nab me if i escaped.....i thought the hotels tout a "private" ride....quickly changed that tune...

And they should be held liable should someone get pulled if sitting in same van with a positive covid dude

Not sure what can be done about it. After inquiring, I have been told my limousine is private but we shall just have to see.

Edited by bangkokbonecollector
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

OK, let me rephrase it:

When you say "Axa has an excellent policy", did you mean:

1. You did buy this policy AND you did make a claim AND Axa did pay accordingly to the brochure

or

2. You just read the policy online and you've the feeling that this policy is good?

or

3. You work, directly or indirectly, for Axa and you're very keen to promote their products?

Please clarify

Why do I ask for your clarification? The same company seems to have an "excellent travel insurance policy" with high level of coverage for personal items....

However,

The trick is that, when you make a claim, they do ask for the original receipts / invoices for these personal items (socks, shirts, etc.). Who, in his right mind, would keep this kind of receipts?

If they're "picky" to reimburse the theft of personal items (less than Euro1,000), how can we trust the same when the amount of money involved is much higher?

There is no way that you have you clicked the link and read the headline of the policy I linked to.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, redsongthaew said:

Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Are you suggesting that a/any health insurance provider might agree to a policy after the event?

Seems to me doubtful for several reasons:

1. Possibly very illegal.

2. It would set a precedent that the health insurance company would certainly not want: 'You did this for xxxxx, so why can't you do it for me?' 

3. The whole insurance industry would be totally/absolutely opposed to such an action and would very possibly take action to prevent policies being written/used after the event. And not surprising. 

Edited by scorecard

36 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Mountain, Mole hill.

That's a 11 baht tax on every tourist - I can live with that. If the Thai government cannot live with an expenditure of 11 baht on every tourist spending say 80,000 a trip then they have more seious issues than we think they already have

I would say some of the hospital stays are due to the bad roads, bad construction, etc, here also.  Too many accidents happen due to lax regulations and corruption.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah well arguing that point with several immigration police having just arrived might be tough. You might be correct though as someone I knew had his passport held by a hospital until he paid the bill... he got a lawyer involved ,and got it back.. and promptly got on a plane leaving the bill unpaid!

they went to my hostel when I had dengue and got my PP to hold hostage until my insurance paid up the 30k

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

Not sure what can be done about it. After inquiring, I have been told my limousine is private but we shall just have to see.

My hotel told me contracted vans transport from airport---and I asked her about others in van--she said yes if they are also coming to same hotel

not sure what would happen if you refused to get in a van with others for fear of getting pulled

16 hours ago, sandyf said:

My policy had an overseas quarantine allowance and it didn't cost me anything.

fantastic! Do you care to share? What company, how much allowance? I love it when I'm wrong and something is better than expected. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, TooMuchTime said:

Why is the hospital so expensive, especially in Thailand?  I thought that pricing was an American thing.

What is the point in having required insurance for covid if you can't even use it for covid expenses...?

Perhaps it was Bangkok hospital.

1 hour ago, TooMuchTime said:

Why is the hospital so expensive, especially in Thailand?  I thought that pricing was an American thing.

What is the point in having required insurance for covid if you can't even use it for covid expenses...?

The guy doesn't know yet if his insurance will pay, he's only guessing he may have to pay this amount. He might end up paying nothing.