Should we be alarmed that Middle East money is taking over sport?

ASEAN NOW News

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I was a kid people talked about the morality of (football) player being sold and bought by football clubs. It seems nobody sees any moral issues with that anymore.

I think the Bosman agreement put paid to that issue-----:coffee1:

----------------------------

"Twenty years ago today, relatively unknown Belgian midfielder Jean-Marc Bosman helped changed the face of football.

Once the European Court of Justice ruled that clubs no longer had to pay transfer fees after the expiration of a player's contract, all hell broke loose. Suddenly it was a free-for-all." - Sir Alex Ferguson, 2015

China worse. genocide, disapperances, autocratic. articles written but never reappear ( uighurs). nothing much said or done by the west as west addicted to ccp money…… China substantial money in Sport for sure but better concealed I imagine.

Newcastle situation will not go away. big mistake by KSA to think that the outspoken english fans and newspapers will stay quiet like their masters. they couldn’t give a toss. protest banners and critical articles will be out for every match. nightmare for the saudi owners and the english director wife…….

CIA said that Crown Prince MBS directed that journalist murder….. in their own embassy ……breathtaking arrogance.outrageous that KSA, North Korea, Sudan still sit in the UN……KSA sits on UN Human Rights Council !!! China I get is simply too large & powerful to kick out……..

• Haha 1

Middle East money has to find a home.......with the revenues from oil and gas destined to decline they have huge capital reserves that need to be invested somewhere to replace that revenue.

Sport is just the start I guess.

It will be interesting to see where else the money goes.

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Middle East money has to find a home.......with the revenues from oil and gas destined to decline they have huge capital reserves that need to be invested somewhere to replace that revenue.

Perhaps buying safe havens to escape to when the real money runs out for the increasing population. When I was there 8 children per mother was normal, and few actually worked in a real job.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

I think it's a major issue. We have the last 3 F1 races in the Middle East (4 this season) in countries that have zero motor sport history. But then most sport is blocked to the average TV viewer so does it matter if they race around the sand dunes. We lost Fox Sports from 1.10.21 so there goes any coverage of F1, MotoGP, WSB etc. (Don't mention Truevisions i wouldn't give them a single satang).

Edited by Henryford
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps buying safe havens to escape to when the real money runs out for the increasing population. When I was there 8 children per mother was normal, and few actually worked in a real job.

The trouble is they need solid revenue more than potential asset growth......... I guess

On 11/13/2021 at 10:27 AM, bkk_bwana said:

So it's OK for Editor of The Pattaya Golfer, Thai Golf News on line, Principal at Big Mango Productions and Executive Producer at Tee Off TV show as a foreigner, doing business in a host country to comment on foreign involvement of sport clubs in the UK.

Does he build skyscrapers and stadiums with what's essentially slave labor? Withholding passports, wages, and forcing them to work, often to death?

Does he enforce strict dress codes, jail and fines for a little too much skin? In 40 degree weather? And the same for perhaps a little too much public display of romance? Yet he wants his countries to be international tourist destinations?

Does he still consider women second class citizens, with many job opportunities denied, and domestic violence often condoned?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Should we be alarmed that Middle East money is taking over sport?

Why? Will it change anything on the field? It's still kicking a little ball around.

Beyond a few, will the majority care?

Beach, you've got it in one.

Like music and many other industries, sports is all about money. It's always been manipulated to benefit investors. Nothing new except the faces.

As long as people can spend countless hours watching grown men hit/kick/knock balls around and worship their sports heroes, nobody will really care. They can still buy sports apparel and overpriced sneakers despite not being able to run ten feet by themselves.

It's all part of the game. Don't stress.

If you want sports then go do them yourself. It will free your mind and improve your body.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Does he build skyscrapers and stadiums with what's essentially slave labor? Withholding passports, wages, and forcing them to work, often to death?

Does he enforce strict dress codes, jail and fines for a little too much skin? In 40 degree weather? And the same for perhaps a little too much public display of romance? Yet he wants his countries to be international tourist destinations?

Does he still consider women second class citizens, with many job opportunities denied, and domestic violence often condoned?

There is no single "he" involved in Saudi.

It's the religious police that "enforce strict dress codes, jail and fines for a little too much skin", and as for the royals, if they have to have bullet proof glass in front of them in the sports stadium ( which they do, and I visited the stadium to know ) they are not so powerful as you imply.

They are IMO merely the top layer in a morass of competing interests, and terrified of being eliminated, by those that don't consider the kingdom pure enough.

• Like 1

Aren't we just supposed to just talk about --whats happening in our local Moo Barn etc......  Start talking about world things like this & before we know it , we will be discussing Russia looming occupation of the Ukraine----or why are there still Americans unable to get out of Afghanistan. Safer that we stick to why the price of Som Tom has increased.  

Oh I guess football is safe...................:omfg:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

And that was UK and Europe pre WW2!  They will come round in time, maybe not your time or my time, but they will come round.......in time!

On 11/13/2021 at 10:27 AM, bkk_bwana said:

So it's OK for Editor of The Pattaya Golfer, Thai Golf News on line, Principal at Big Mango Productions and Executive Producer at Tee Off TV show as a foreigner, doing business in a host country to comment on foreign involvement of sport clubs in the UK.

I call hypocrisy. 

The comment "God forbid if we have to get used to Wimbledon’s iconic tournament being called Jeddah Championships!!!" is pure racism. 

Britain is, and has always been open for investors of any nation. 

I think you're missing the point. It's not just about investment, it's about control.

When the billions of $ that these Middle Eastern governments can throw at sport allow them to dictate the name of the European Tour, divert GPs and World Cups to countries with zero sporting history and create a monopoly of the best players in the world, it goes beyond mere investment.

And the comment about Wimbledon is not racism, it's just common sense.

Edited by roquefort
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

And that was UK and Europe pre WW2!  They will come round in time, maybe not your time or my time, but they will come round.......in time!

Possibly but its glacially slow. Arabs HAD advanced civilization,or knowledge of it, with close proximity to Ancient Egypt & Mesopotamia, for three thousand years,  beforethe Romans civilized western europe. they actually went backwards from 800 years ago after Mongol destruction of  Damascus & Baghdad, the most advanced cultures then. they seem to have rejected social modernity as inconsistent with their culture. which suits the feudal rulers in place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There is no single "he" involved in Saudi.

I meant "he" as in the editor of the article, who was said is being a hypocrite because he does business in a foreign country. So I asked, is he doing all those things the Arab world is doing?

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

On 11/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, Will B Good said:

Could they take in some refugees?

I lost all interest in English footie when so many English footballers became replaced by high-priced foreign imports. I found it difficult to relate to players from beyond the kingdom.

Sure, possibly the quality of the game improved, I wouldn't know, but as something of a nationalist, I found it disappointing.

Nowadays, of course, it's the "new normal", and most young people wouldn't know what I'm blathering on about.

My opinion is we should be concerned about any takeover of sport from business interests. 

Take a look at how the law on football club ownership works in Germany .

Basically the control of the club is held by the supporters  of the club .

Just now, bert bloggs said:

No,couldnt care less.

The only thing that would annoy me is the astronomical salaries they will receive.

There was an app that let you enter your current salary and it told you when you would have to have starting earning that salary to make as much money as Ronaldo.

For me it was 1495...............????