Best Tires for Toyota Hilux Truck

Banana7

Can anyone recommend a good brand/make/model of tires for a Toyota Hilux Revo truck? The vehicle is basically used 90% for highway and paved street driving, need good traction/holding in wet conditions, long tire life/mileage. It's not a 4 wheel drive truck and heavy loads are not carried.

Any of the generic A/T (all terrain) tires will do. Tires are like pizza's and opinions on what's best are very subjective and don't factor in the widely varying habits or styles of different drivers. Expect to pay between 13,000 to 15,000 baht for a set of four all balanced and installed. However, be aware that most tire shops do a 'buy 3 get one free' deal so it's up to the buyer to do the math and price searching before declaring anything a great deal. Getting a tire maintenance program as part of the deal is a bonus. Mrs NL re-shod my sports lorry while I was out of the country and gets a free monthly Nitrogen top up and check as part of a 1-year warranty.

When   I  bought my revo new, it was fitted with Michelin Tyres.     8 years later, and  just over 50,000 Kms, they were not even half worn, but I had to  change them as   they were   starting to look dodgy on the walls.     Got Pirellis, 4  for 16,000 Baht, fitted,  with  2 year warranty,  free  alignment and balancing every 10,000 kms, from B   Quick shop.     Seem Ok, softer running tyre than Michelins.    Check manufacturing date on the side wall before they fit them, some shops sell  tyres already several years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Deemax. ????

Never heard of Deemax so I did some research. Shandong Kaixuan Rubber Co., Ltd. , annually produce 3.60 million sets of high-performance all-steel radial tire. The company owns GREFORCE and DEEMAX two tire brands. Number of employees: 5000, Founded in: 2014.

I have no interest in tires produced in China by a young tire company. I am looking for quality, good design, by a company that has a good reputation and warranty.

• Haha 1

I ran Bridgestones on my Revo from new - that's what they came with.  I replaced them at 60K and they probably still had another 1K left on them. Never had a problem.

Idiotically replaced them with Michelin for no other reason that Michelin was always my brand of choice for race bikes over the years.

Big Mistake.  Have managed to wreck two tyres on the sidewalls with very unspecial potholes - the kind of pothole that shouldn't do that to a 4WD tyre.

The shop that replaced them implied the Michelins are known to have inferior sidewalls.

EDIT:  forgot to add that my insurance paid for 50% of the two wrecked tyres based on their assessment of 50% wear.  Sad news was I had no choice of replacement brand.  So now I have two new Michelin and two 50% worn Michelin.  I put the new ones on the front hoping to prolong the life of the rears and maybe can do a full refit of Bridgestones in about 30K without wasting too much tread.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Never heard of Deemax so I did some research. Shandong Kaixuan Rubber Co., Ltd. , annually produce 3.60 million sets of high-performance all-steel radial tire. The company owns GREFORCE and DEEMAX two tire brands. Number of employees: 5000, Founded in: 2014.

I have no interest in tires produced in China by a young tire company. I am looking for quality, good design, by a company that has a good reputation and warranty.

Please yourself.

My Thai mates did some research by actually using them last as long as double the price tyres. 

Better throw out the Chinese parts you have on your Vigo. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Then your knowledge of tires, for cars - truck - bikes is sorely lacking.

But many believe the advertising hype, and pay for said hype when buying tires.

Michelins are made in Thailand, as are Bridgestone, and on and on and on

Pirelli - which I use on my bikes - is a subsidiary of ChemChina. Their tires are great. They make F1 tires - so Chinese tires are junk ? 555

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, seedy said:

Then your knowledge of tires, for cars - truck - bikes is sorely lacking.

But many believe the advertising hype, and pay for said hype when buying tires.

Michelins are made in Thailand, as are Bridgestone, and on and on and on

Pirelli - which I use on my bikes - is a subsidiary of ChemChina. Their tires are great. They make F1 tires - so Chinese tires are junk ? 555

Lots of things made in China are of good quality, but the design, quality control and manufacturing processes weren't designed in China. Most non-chinese companies producing things in China, maintain design and quality of their products and have non-chinese management overseeing all of critical processes and the factories are designed, to ensure a quality product.

A chinese company manufacturing chinese designed tires, especially one that has been in business only 7 years - no thanks.  Yes, I will buy tires manufactured in Thailand with a foreign name that has a good international reputation of quality, like Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop, etc.

One issue in manufacturing in China is that foreign companies have to share their knowledge and technology with China. This leads to Chinese upstart companies basically copying non-chinese company products. Then the chinese make a similar products or make new designs, which may not work well. 

Not all Chinese companies make <deleted>. As you said you've found a satisfactory bike tire made by a Chinese company. This thread is about truck tires not bike tires.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Where would you like your tyres to be produced and how old does the manufacturer have to be?   Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Continental and Yokohama are produced in China, are they off your list?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where would you like your tyres to be produced and how old does the manufacturer have to be?   

Thailand, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, USA. Any international brand name in the tire business more than 20 years.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Banana7 said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where would you like your tyres to be produced and how old does the manufacturer have to be?   

Thailand, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, USA. Any international brand name in the tire business more than 20 years.

Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Continental and Yokohama are produced in China, so they're off your list?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Continental and Yokohama are produced in China, so they're off your list?

So buy something Thai like Deestone?

I don't need tyres, thanks, I was responding to a poster who wouldn't have anything produced in China!