Emirates to restart A380 Bangkok operations

202111140038501920_emiratesboeing777-300er-2.jpeg

DUBAI: Emirates has announced that its flagship A380 service will return to Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport from November 28.

The aircraft upgrade will help Emirates to meet strong passenger demand for inbound travel into the popular holiday destination, on the heels of Thailand’s re-opening to international tourists who are vaccinated.

The daily A380 flights will operate as EK372/373, adding much-needed capacity and frequency to its flights to Bangkok, in response to the uptick in travel demand that the airline is witnessing, said Emirates. The iconic Emirates A380 aircraft to serve the route will offer seats in First Class, Business Class and Economy Class.

Full story: https://www.gdnonline.com/Details/1003412

-- GDN Online

32 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Maybe they're gonna consolidate flights and use a full bigger plane?

From the article there is no consolidation, rather an increase in the number of flights

"The daily A380 flights will operate as EK372/373, adding much-needed capacity and frequency to its flights to Bangkok, in response to the uptick in travel demand that the airline is witnessing, said Emirates. The iconic Emirates A380 aircraft to serve the route will offer seats in First Class, Business Class and Economy Class.

The deployment of the double-decker aircraft will complement the existing services, EK384/385, also operating on a daily basis with a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft in a three-class configuration, in addition to its five weekly flights to Bangkok via Phuket, operating as EK378/379, which is set to increase its frequency to daily from December 1."

5 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Should have used a photo of an A380, not a B777...

They're all still parked up in the desert waiting for a change of spark plugs and an Earl change before they hand them over to the CTD's.

43 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

will complement the existing services, EK384/385, also operating on a daily basis with a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft in a three-class configuration

Note that these EK384/385, are tag-flights with HKG.

So DXB-BKK-HKG/HKG-BKK-DXB.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

Meanwhile, Singapore Airlines are scrapping their A380's.  Mixed signals about the recovery of the airline industry.

A380 perhaps isn't the best indicator for recovery of the airline industry. Even Qatar are restoring some A380 - but this is due to problems with A350 that need repairing

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

So Emirates and Qantas are running A380's despite saying they would be scrapping them. Maybe Singapore will change their minds too,

Emirates never said they would scrap them, they just wont take delivery of more after the last few delivered, meanwhile they have over 100+ that will rejoin the fleet shortly and be part of the fleet for the next several years. They are even retrofitting a large part of their a380 with their new premium economy - looks lush..

Edited by asiam110

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Note that these EK384/385, are tag-flights with HKG.

So DXB-BKK-HKG/HKG-BKK-DXB.

Which I have in the past used frequently.  However, I understood Hong Kong still has very restrictive entry requirements and due to continue until the middle of 2022,  so hopefully Emirates have some prior knowledge of the situation.

3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Find this hard to believe, most of the flights with various airlines over the last two years i've been on are at about 40-50% occupancy.

Ahh ... the last 2 years (pandemic catastrophe) is exactly that, the past 2 years, of pre global vaccination drive, and 2 years of intensive SARS virus study.

2 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Only 7 aircraft being retired, fleet of 12 A380's for the time being

Yes, and not my area, but as an 'amateur observer' I remember very old 757's being kept in service for decades, whereas comparatively young 380's are being scrapped?

38 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Yes, and not my area, but as an 'amateur observer' I remember very old 757's being kept in service for decades, whereas comparatively young 380's are being scrapped?

The reason A380's are being scrapped is because they are not economical to operate unless full on most sectors, like the A340 and the B747. Fuel efficient twins are the way to go for all airlines. Emirates will continue to use the A380 for the foreseeable future, most of the other airlines that use the A380 will retire them sooner.

Comparing the B757 to the A380 in this context is hardly relevant 

Edited by ozfarang
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

They're all still parked up in the desert waiting for a change of spark plugs and an Earl change before they hand them over to the CTD's.

I came back from UK last month and first leg to Dubai was a 380 and 2 others landed at the same time, created a bit of chaos.

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

The reason A380's are being scrapped is because they are not economical to operate unless full on most sectors, like the A340 and the B747. Fuel efficient twins are the way to go for all airlines. Emirates will continue to use the A380 for the foreseeable future, most of the other airlines that use the A380 will retire them sooner.

Comparing the B757 to the A380 in this context is hardly relevant 

Sorry - I meant 747, not 757. 

30 year old Jumbo jets used to be common, but now a 10 year old A380 is obsolete.  So the 'recovery' of the airline industry seems to be premature?

14 hours ago, ozfarang said:

"The daily A380 flights will operate as EK372/373, adding much-needed capacity and frequency to its flights to Bangkok, in response to the uptick in travel demand that the airline is witnessing

Covid insurance cover will be helping that uptick.

Pretty great deal for buyers and thanks to whoever highlighted that offer in previous threads....

Are the tickets a max of 9 months return or can it go up to a year with Emirates ?

On 11/14/2021 at 8:54 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

Find this hard to believe, most of the flights with various airlines over the last two years i've been on are at about 40-50% occupancy.

We flew into HKT sandbox a month ago on Emirates and the plane was packed - not a single spare seat. 

• Like 1