Key Visa - New UK passport application

On 11/18/2021 at 8:35 PM, theoldgit said:

It's been many years since the UK Embassy here were involved in the renewal of passports, I last renewed mine in 2013 and that was done via Hong Kong. 

In March 2014 overseas passports were removed from the FCO and put under the Passport Office, without a great deal of forethought.

I applied to renew in April 2014 and after about 10 weeks had to call on the embassy to sort it out, got it 3 days before I would have been looking to an ETD.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:58 PM, OJAS said:

I strongly suspect that the responsibility for this unsatisfactory state of affairs more likely lies with those incompetent clowns called HMPO in the UK rather than with Key Visa. Constantly blaming the COVID pandemic for delays in issuing new passports, as they have been doing for the past 18 months or so, is IMHO now becoming an increasingly pathetic and tiresome excuse.

Took 3 weeks to get mine back, 5 weeks for wife  about 2 months ago but did use VFS GLOBAL in Chiang Mai.

HMPO were very helpful regarding a potential problem with wife's passport.

I did my UK passport renewal myself.  Office is in "Trendy Building"  Soi off Sukhumvit West of BR Embassy.  Greatest difficulty was  getting in the lift to the right floor in Trendy.  Who-ever it is doing the renewals has everything you need on that floor, (photos, copies, etc.)  Easy and stress free, and collectedd new passport a few weeks later.  i cannot remember the exact time scale.  When I collected new Passport I was given letter to show to immigration, asking fro my retirement via to be transferred to new passport..  Took 2 trips to Bangkok.

This was in pre Covid times.  Now it seems that Covid i being used as an excuse (particularly in UK)  for Gov. officials to not do their job.  Then Trendy was packed with Thais trying for UK visa; should not be such a  problem now.

Good luck with your application.  I believe that I first went to BR Embassy, nd was referred to this place in Trendy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Both, if you apply yourself then you submit the application to VFS in Asoke, if you use an agent then they deliver the application to VFS and also collect the new passport.

The current delays advised by HMPO are applicable in both cases.

The only real benefit of using an agent is saving the trip to Bangkok, for those up country that can be cost effective. 

OP - thanks for your comments.
I live near Khon Kaen and would use public transport to get to Bangkok so that's a definite no no, hence the use of an agent.
My passport expires in late April 2022, my retirement visa in December this year ( have been advised that I would be covered by 3  months extension ),
A warning perhaps for the future, have at least one year left available in ones passport  to apply for a new one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin said:

I did my UK passport renewal myself.  Office is in "Trendy Building"  Soi off Sukhumvit West of BR Embassy.  Greatest difficulty was  getting in the lift to the right floor in Trendy.  Who-ever it is doing the renewals has everything you need on that floor, (photos, copies, etc.)  Easy and stress free, and collectedd new passport a few weeks later.  i cannot remember the exact time scale.  When I collected new Passport I was given letter to show to immigration, asking fro my retirement via to be transferred to new passport..  Took 2 trips to Bangkok.

This was in pre Covid times.  Now it seems that Covid i being used as an excuse (particularly in UK)  for Gov. officials to not do their job.  Then Trendy was packed with Thais trying for UK visa; should not be such a  problem now.

Good luck with your application.  I believe that I first went to BR Embassy, nd was referred to this place in Trendy

Thanks Robin for your comments, I live near Khon Kaen so an agent is the safest way, also I would have to use public transport.   First time in all the years I have spent here.   

At one time, for business purposes I had 2 UK passports, one for a current journey the other one getting visas ready for next trip.

• Like 1

Looked it up and found this.

Living in Khon Kaen province, sounds well worth it.

Thanks.

"All I did was to provide two photographs and pay the all-inclusive fee of THB 12,000. This fee covers all the charges for Key Visa, British HMPO and two trips to Bangkok for Key Visa staff to submit the application and then collect the new passport. "

By David P.  5 months ago

...a service fee of just 5000 baht (this is in addition to your passport renewal fee)

When your new passport is ready we will send it to you via EMS for just an additional 100 baht.

https://www.keyvisathailand.com/services/renewing-uk-passport-thailand/

I have recently used them for passport renewal, they speak good English they even filled out the forms for me all I had to do was sign them and supply the photos which I got done across the road in Big C photo shop.

Cheaper and way less hassle than renewing one self, all I had to do was pick it up from their offce with the relevant paper asking immigrarion to transfer any stamps into the new passport.  

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 1:17 PM, Rimmer said:

I have recently used them for passport renewal, they speak good English they even filled out the forms for me all I had to do was sign them and supply the photos which I got done across the road in Big C photo shop.

Cheaper and way less hassle than renewing one self, all I had to do was pick it up from their offce with the relevant paper asking immigrarion to transfer any stamps into the new passport.  

Nothing is cheaper than doing it yourself.

The savings are in the paperwork and traveling hassles.

I used them recently for a renewal of my daughters passport. They will tell you everything that you need. Payment upfront. Send all the documents by recorded delivery. It took about 8 weeks due to this COVID business. Reliable and safe from my standpoint.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2021 at 3:19 PM, Steps said:

I used them recently for a renewal of my daughters passport. They will tell you everything that you need. Payment upfront. Send all the documents by recorded delivery. It took about 8 weeks due to this COVID business. Reliable and safe from my standpoint.

OP - Thanks for your comments,

On 11/18/2021 at 7:48 PM, bojo said:

OK, thanks for input...........good to know..................very surprised tho.........................

If you are a UK citizen with a million or two in the bank you will be treated very well here in Thailand at the embassy.

OTOH if you are just a normal expat, retired or married to a Thai, the embassy can't or don't want, to do much for you.

I can remember the embassy some 20 years ago and how helpful and friendly they were.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:52 AM, Robin said:

Do you live in Bangkok? For us living upcountry it is a bit more difficult.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But only if you forget about the travel costs and finally getting back into Thailand.

Well I was being sarcastic Bill as i'm sure you know.

I live Sukhothai 5000 baht paid to Keyvisa was cheaper and more convenient than going to Bkk and doing it myself.  

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:51 PM, theoldgit said:

Some people apply online and use a UK address, and get the resident of that address to post the passport here, whilst doing so is not legal, some claim it does work, but it is risky. 

Only risky if mail is lost,plus passport is cheaper too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I was being sarcastic Bill as i'm sure you know.

I live Sukhothai 5000 baht paid to Keyvisa was cheaper and more convenient than going to Bkk and doing it myself.  

Some people on the vaccination threads are happy to fly to the US to get their "free" jabs.

I will follow this thread about Keyvisa though my passport expires in June 2024.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:49 PM, Rinrada said:

.Visited Victoria PP Office on Monday with pre booked appointment at 11.00 am ..got new one same day at 5 PM.

Sadly this same-day service at Victoria (and other UK passport offices) no longer appears to be available:-

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Even the so-called "Online Premium service" takes at least 2 days from start to finish, it would seem.

• Like 1