Tourist visa

BarnicaleBob

I have an American friend that is trying to get a tourist visa for Thailand.  She went on-line to the Thai Embassy and tried to fill out an application but it asked for all sorts of things that seemed a lot too much, such as police background report, medical release, where she is going to stay and other things.  What happened to visa on arrival with just prof of insurance, a covid vaccination card and a covid test within the past 3 days? 

Bob. You may be better asking for this to be moved to the Visa Forum but to answer your questions.

Tourist Visa is now an on line process in many countries. I don't think medical and police checks are needed for a normal 60 day tourist visa (TR) Check that your friend has not clicked on the wrong type of visa (STV or other)

You can still get 30 days on arrival, it is visa exempt not visa on arrival. This can be extended by 30 days at immigration. Thailand Pass, insurance, quarantine and all the rest of the current palaver still apply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

What happened to visa on arrival

Your friend as an American is eleigible to enter as "Visa exempt" . She does not need to apply for a tourist visa but must complete the requirements of the Thailand Pass system.

36 minutes ago, tonray said:

Your friend as an American is eleigible to enter as "Visa exempt" . She does not need to apply for a tourist visa but must complete the requirements of the Thailand Pass system.

Ill be doing this friday when I arrive as I have been doing yearly since 2008--never ever got a visa before flying

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

OP, your friend didn't apply for a Tourist E-Visa in the US (via Embassy in DC) as there is no requirement for a medical certificate or criminal background check for a Tourist Visa.  She applied for a different visa (perhaps a long-stay visa which does require both?).  

I do trust that your friend is aware that the ThailandPass approval is also needed and totally separate (and that requires application, proof of vaccination, the $50,000 covid health insurance, etc.).

And, yes, as noted by tonray, she can still just come in without any visa and get an exemption for 30 days (which she can extend here for another 30 days).