Which type of Covid extension after cancelling volunteer visa?

I'm trying to work out which 'type' of visa my covid extension would be under the following cirumstance:

1. Entered Thailand in 2020 on a 30-day arrival stamp (British)

2. After covid extensions, got a 15-month volunteer visa (Non-O) in late 2020.

3. Now looking to cancel the volunteer visa pre-expiration and move to covid extension.

Would that make my covid extension based on the original arrival (tourist) or the volunteer visa (Non-O)?

The reason I ask is that the Elite visa people have told me that I can't get an Elite visa affixed in Thailand if moving from a Non-O volunteer visa. So I'm trying to work out if the covid extension would still be classed as a Non-O extension, or a tourist extension.

I have tried to get to the bottom of it with the Elite team, but communication is not as clear as it could perhaps be.

Thanks

Even if you cancel your current extension based on volunteering, your entry will still be considered a non-immigrant visa entry since you applied for a non-immigrant visa at immigration. You'd need to leave the country to change that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Im in a similar situation. Non-o volunteer now expired, currently on a covid extension. Is it possible to move on to a marriage based non-o extension without any major hassle?

You can apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage near the end of your current 60 day covid 19 extension since you have a non immigrant visa entry.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply. Or proof of 40k baht income.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, edd999 said:

A little off the topic .. but are Covid extension still available for 60 days to the end of January?

Currently (maybe next week they decide to extend this option, but nobody knows for certain) you can apply for them until the 26th November.

If you currently have an extension until around then, then it would take you to the end of January.

11 minutes ago, edd999 said:

Current Covid extension to 25 November

Obtain another covid extension asap. Immigration may be busy nearing Nov 26. Your extension will be dated from Nov 25.

Your timing is perfect. 

The covid extensions almost certainly will continue.

That means you could (possibly) obtain another covid extension late January. 

Edited by DrJack54

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this one up again.

Would anyone happen to have experience with moving to a covid extension after the expiration of a 'dubious' volunteer visa?

With my volunteer visa due to expire I understood that I still needed to 'cancel' it before I could move to the covid extension. But the cancelling is going to be rather complicated it seems.

Could I just let it naturally expire and move to the covid extension without doing anything further?

17 minutes ago, whizzergo said:

With my volunteer visa due to expire I understood that I still needed to 'cancel' it before I could move to the covid extension. But the cancelling is going to be rather complicated it seems.

Could I just let it naturally expire and move to the covid extension without doing anything further?

It depends upon where you apply for the 60 day covid 19 extension. I have seen one report of a office doing it without the current extension being cancelled.

You might try applying on the last day of your extension. But if denied you would be on a overstay. Sone offices might do it with one day of overstay after paying the 500 baht fine.

51 minutes ago, whizzergo said:

Would anyone happen to have experience with moving to a covid extension after the expiration of a 'dubious' volunteer visa?

Firstly you don't let a permission of stay expire. 

Personally I would forget about cancelling it. 

Don't be nervous about talking with your immigration office.

Despite what someone might tell you the admitted until date stamp in your passport is valid. 

I would go to immigration and ask if covid extension is possible.

I might even consider buying a throw away outbound flight month or so ahead of going to immigration and suggest you need a covid extension.

Worst result is answer from them "NO" and leave and consider next option. 

Added side story. Recently was at CW and met guy who was on overstay (3 days).

That was a Tuesday and he had flight out on the Friday.

Entered visa exempt. (Realize your situation involves agent volunteering)..

So anyway I had my car and as my business was done took him to MTT. (yes he attended CW by mistake) . 

End result he paid 3 day overstay and obtained covid extension even though he only needed 3 more days.

Many would say crazy and I should have just advised do 7 day overstay.

That's not the point of long story.

Sometimes immigration can be very helpful and suggest best result. 

Actually the imm officer was very helpful. 

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

Certain extensions have to be canceled to change to another reason for the extension. 

He has an extension to a non O.

Why does he need to cancel it.

If he had an extension to non O retirement for example...

Why cancel it.

Why can't he apply for a covid extension shortly prior to the extension he currently has expiring.

In any event my suggestion in the main was that he approach immigration and ask. 

Can't hurt. 

You state certain extensions have to be cancelled. True.

Is this one of them? 

Edited by DrJack54

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He has an extension to a non O.

Why does he need to cancel it.

A non-o visa can be issued for many reasons.

His was for volunteer work and his extension is based upon volunteer work that is tied to working with a organization. About the same as a non-b visa and a extension of the entry from it based upon working that has to be cancelled.

When changing from a extension based upon marriage to retirement many immigration offices want the wife to be present. to approve the change.

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In any event my suggestion in the main was that he approach immigration and ask. 

Can't hurt. 

Yes, it would probably be a good idea to go with enough time left so that he can approach an agent, should he need to.

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Worst result is answer from them "NO" and leave and consider next option.

Is this really the worst possible outcome?  No cancelling the visa immediately and giving seven days to leave?  No chance of arrest or deportation?  If the vol-visa has become "visa non grata", why not some sort of consequences?

They can obviously recognise the visa.  Do they simply tolerate the visa but maybe refuse to extend?  Is there attitude "we know it's a dubious visa extension, we aren't going to do anything about it, but we aren't going to extend it"?

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A non-o visa can be issued for many reasons.

His was for volunteer work and his extension is based upon volunteer work that is tied to working with a organization. About the same as a non-b visa and a extension of the entry from it based upon working that has to be cancelled.

Not for one moment suggesting thats not the case. 

I'm very naive on work permits etc.

Fact is my point was that he should approach and discuss with immigration.

Your posts on changing from non B very clear. Don't feel that's so definitive for extension volunteering.

Thinking previous suggestion to wait till day of expiry makes lot of sense.

Again ...why not go to immigration for advice.

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Is this really the worst possible outcome?  No cancelling the visa immediately and giving seven days to leave?  No chance of arrest or deportation?  If the vol-visa has become "visa non grata", why not some sort of consequences?

There are 2 threads currently running regarding this. Pretty much started (imo) by a rumour.

I'm most cases AseanNow can give definitive advice. Especially with guys such as ubonjoe.

For me personally these couple of threads sound like a beat up.

As stated ...go to immigration and ask. Then worry about next step.

BTW the 7 day get out of Dodge rejection comes when you make an application.

In those situations often it's a planned rejection due to for example necessary short overstay. I'm not suggesting he applies for covid extension but rather discuss with io.

He could use/employ agent to to check out options. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 5:36 PM, whizzergo said:

Could you provide a bit more information?

1. Did your volunteering nominally take place in a town up north beginning with the letter K?
2. Is your current address in Bangkok?
3. Is the agency you used also based in the BMA?
4. How many days do you have left on your extension? - [typing this on November 30th]

On 11/26/2021 at 5:58 PM, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon where you apply for the 60 day covid 19 extension. I have seen one report of a office doing it without the current extension being cancelled.

You might try applying on the last day of your extension. But if denied you would be on a overstay. Sone offices might do it with one day of overstay after paying the 500 baht fine.

Joe, do you mind saying which office was apparently doing it without the current extension being cancelled? Or linking to the topic.

Thanks in advance

On 11/26/2021 at 6:43 PM, ubonjoe said:
On 11/26/2021 at 6:26 PM, DrJack54 said:

Personally I would forget about cancelling it. 

Why?

Certain extensions have to be canceled to change to another reason for the extension. 

Dr Jack, unless he is comfortable with risking the consequences of a 1-day overstay, he needs to cancel his non-O extension before he can apply for a Covid extension stamp.

By consequences I don't mean a paltry 500 Baht. Rather, being on overstay automatically takes away other extension options that may potentially be of value to him.

21 minutes ago, Marcous said:

I asked 2 different officers in Chiang Mai IO and they both said I definately DO need to cancel it to get Covid extension there.

The following words are from previous post in this thread from ubonjoe....

"You might try applying on the last day of your extension. But if denied you would be on a overstay. Sone offices might do it with one day of overstay after paying the 500 baht fine"....

So the io that you spoke with didn't mention this possibility.

Pity as it would be simple option..

Still suggest that OP (or agent) go speak with his  immigration office for best option.

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What is stopping you from cancelling your volunteer visa ?

Probably getting the required letter to cancel it from the organization that sponsored his extension of stay (it is not visa).