Thailand, Bhutan expand bilateral cooperation

webfact

91dbb425356b560e7b639f17010def57_small.jpg

By Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Prime Minister of Thailand today welcomed the incoming Ambassador of Bhutan upon his assumption of duty in Thailand. Both officials have expressed the willingness to further expand bilateral cooperation towards development in areas such as the economy, tourism, and academics.

The Ambassador of Bhutan to Thailand Kinzang Dorji today paid a courtesy call on Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, as he assumed diplomatic mission in the kingdom.

Officially welcoming the new Bhutanese Ambassador, the Thai Prime Minister emphasized the close relations shared by both countries in every aspect. He pledged to support the bilateral works between both countries and expressed his appreciation for the public health cooperation between Thailand and Bhutan, which includes a vaccine exchange arrangement, and the facilitation of Thai nationals’ repatriation from Bhutan during the pandemic.

On this occasion, the Ambassador of Bhutan has praised Thailand’s effective COVID-19 response that enables the country to reopen for international visitors, as well as other services to facilitate international arrivals.

Both sides have discussed further cooperation on the economy, academics, and other areas such as the exchange of agricultural exports, human resources development in terms of scholarships and training, public health development, and community development campaigns based on the Sufficiency Economy Philosophy.

The Ambassador of Bhutan said Bhutan is willing to support Thailand’s chairmanship of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC), in order to achieve sustainable development through socio-economic advancements and improved regional connectivity.

nnt.jpg

11 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Had to do a double-take on Mr Stripey on the left there - looked like he

had some kind of pseudo-snout....'sniffing out a winning deal'.

Ambassador is wearing typical national clothes, but I'm surprised that he is not wearing a colored sash denoting official status in such a formal setting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, placnx said:

Ambassador is wearing typical national clothes, but I'm surprised that he is not wearing a colored sash denoting official status in such a formal setting.

I mean the trick of photography with the head of the guy behind his face -it looks like a snout...just more meandering rambles on TV, oh sorry AseanNow.

17 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

No discussion on Bhutan's 300,000 AZ loan to Thailand and its return by the end of 2021 as per the agreement several months back ? 

As Bhutan had vaccinated 90% of its population by July this year, they probably don't need it back. Besides it not the sort of topic that is discussed during an initial diplomatic courtesy call is it.

UNICEF press release - Bhutan

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

As Bhutan had vaccinated 90% of its population by July this year, they probably don't need it back. Besides it not the sort of topic that is discussed during an initial diplomatic courtesy call is it.

I'm sure the loan deal makers here were aware of Bhutan's high vaccinated percentage at the time, thus turn a loan into a donation possibly ? a loan's a loan.....return it, and it should be discussed out of courtesy on this side.....

Edited by CANSIAM

On 11/18/2021 at 3:44 AM, CANSIAM said:

No discussion on Bhutan's 300,000 AZ loan to Thailand and its return by the end of 2021 as per the agreement several months back ? 

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

3 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

I'm sure the loan deal makers here were aware of Bhutan's high vaccinated percentage at the time, thus turn a loan into a donation possibly ? a loan's a loan.....return it, and it should be discussed out of courtesy on this side.....

I am not suggesting that the loan should not be discussed. I'm simply pointing out that this topic would not be raised during an initial courtesy call. Diplomacy has its protocols and there's a time and place for everything.

• Like 1