Numb Fingertips After Drinking

vegas

When I was a heavy drinker (some would say I still am) I used to experience numb pinkie and 3rd fingertips the morning after a heavy night. Sometimes it would disappear immediately after getting out of bed, other times it would linger for hours. Last week I went out on a huge night of beer and shots and again woke up with these symptoms, except this time it took until well after lunch to fade.

Anybody know what this is or had similar experiences?

When I was a heavy drinker (some would say I still am) I used to experience numb pinkie and 3rd fingertips the morning after a heavy night. Sometimes it would disappear immediately after getting out of bed, other times it would linger for hours. Last week I went out on a huge night of beer and shots and again woke up with these symptoms, except this time it took until well after lunch to fade.

Anybody know what this is or had similar experiences?

i travelled with an ozzy mate for a few months last year. he drank way too much or more than I did and always spoke of his fingers and thumbs going numb/ tingly. he spoke to his doc who placed him into re-ab........he's fine now. :D

could also be down to bad flow of blood so get some exersize!!! :o

Only happens when I'm pissed. Thinking about it, I do sleep on my side and barely move during the night so I probably cut off the circulation for several hours.

If you're really concerned, have a diabetes check. If you've also got other numb sensations on the same side of the body, read about stroke. Otherwise think about life without getting pissed so often. Tim

Only happens when I'm pissed. Thinking about it, I do sleep on my side and barely move during the night so I probably cut off the circulation for several hours.

If you're really concerned, have a diabetes check. If you've also got other numb sensations on the same side of the body, read about stroke. Otherwise think about life without getting pissed so often. Tim

I think nerve entrapment in the wrists (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome). You may get this at any time, espescially during sleep or upon waking, and you've just associated it with drinking binges. I suffer this condition and I drink but because I've had the tests I can rule out drink. A simple test at the hospital can give you peace of mind. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is not always cureable, as in my case, but the test should prove conclusive as to what's causing your problem. Good luck.

I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Happened a lot to me too.

I always assumed it was drink related because it only ever happened after a very heavy drinking session.

worrying about it seemed to make it worse.

I don't drink anymore.

no more pins and needles.

• 4 months later...

I used to get numbness in the tips of my toes. They call it peripheral neuropathy......nerve death at the extremities. I believe it's caused by a vitamin b deficiency caused by huge excess of alcohol. It would last a long time as nerves there only regenerate at 1mm a month I am told.

You know when you see a really really bad non stop skid row type alcoholic and they are lame? It's caused by the peripheral neuropathy travelling up from just their toes to their feet and then the ankles. This takes months and years. When it hits the ankles is when they go lame. Pretty gross eh?

Maybe not what you have, just a warning really.

Edited by sleepyjohn

sleepyjohn is correct, excessive alcohol use can indeed cause neuropathy. This is a piotentially serious sign that should not be ignored.

Cut down on how much you drink; if you can't control how much you drink once you start, then stop altogether

Take a high potency B complex supplement

if despite these 2 measures it persists, get a physical check-up to exclude diabetes

could be this in the legs as well? i get pins in my right leg on the right side of my calf muscle. but i dont really get any exercise. sat 10 hours a day in front of my PC!!!

do drink a bit and both my parents are diabetic. allthough i know for a fact at the moment im not diabetic!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely, what you are experienceing is "cubital tunnel syndrom", ie. compression of the ulnar nerve at the cubital tunnel, ie. in the area of the elbow. Ever hit your funny bone? Same nerve. This is not the same as carpal tunnel, which is at the wrist. You can probably look up the distribution of the ulnar nerve on the internet. Try Google images, "ulnar nerve distribution".

Some people find that sleeping with their elbows bent can cause this.

Yes, vitamin deficiency related to alcohol use can also make nerves more susceptible to injury. And being drunk could make you sleep with less awareness of discomfort.

Good luck, take it easy!

:o

numb pinkie and 3rd fingertips
Experiencing the exact same thing, GP ruled our carpel tunnel and diabetes (usually affects both sides, I only have it in the left hand),

Said it's either some type of neuropathy or possibly a pinched nerve near the neck.

Had it for a year now, 24/7, as long as it doesn't spread I'll just have to live with it, bigger ailments to worry about down the road I'm sure. :o

Edited by cobra

Most likely, what you are experienceing is "cubital tunnel syndrom", ie. compression of the ulnar nerve at the cubital tunnel, ie. in the area of the elbow. Ever hit your funny bone? Same nerve. This is not the same as carpal tunnel, which is at the wrist. You can probably look up the distribution of the ulnar nerve on the internet. Try Google images, "ulnar nerve distribution".

Some people find that sleeping with their elbows bent can cause this.

Yes, vitamin deficiency related to alcohol use can also make nerves more susceptible to injury. And being drunk could make you sleep with less awareness of discomfort.

Good luck, take it easy!

:o

Ed Zacharry!

I bet he leans on his elbow at the bar.

As a test is it only one half of the ring finger?

Cheers

peripheral neuropathy can also happen in diabetics so you may want to have it checked out again if both parents are diabetic. I've had peripheral neurpathy around my back and abdomen for 10 years, although not sure what from, and its a bitch of a thing with no treatment and no real releif.

Sorry - replying to kopite not OP

Edited by stevenjm

• 1 year later...
could be this in the legs as well? i get pins in my right leg on the right side of my calf muscle. but i dont really get any exercise. sat 10 hours a day in front of my PC!!!

do drink a bit and both my parents are diabetic. allthough i know for a fact at the moment im not diabetic!!!

Kopite,

Did you ever get to the bottom of what was causing that? My calf has started to do it too.

It ain't carpel tunnel syndrome cos that doesn't effect the pinky finger, where most of my pins and needles are.

You're wrong it's precisely that. The nerve has two paths, one affects pinky and tip of third finger, that's the one you are comressing when you sleep too heavily.