My approved Thai visa has the incorrect surname on it? HELP

Hey,

I had my tourist visa approved but my surname on the visa is my partners surname not mine. I don't understand why they approved it as my passport details clearly have my surname. Not sure if it was our mistake or theirs. I just wanted some advice on what to do. I can never get through on the phone to them. Do I risk it or keep trying to get through to them or apply again?

Don't risk it, it is very unlikely that it will be accepted - especially by the airline. Thai embassies - especially London are notoriously difficult to call at the moment.  Personally and rather bizarrely, I've had the best results messaging them on their Facebook page - most have one.

Edited by KhaoYai

I had a similar problem many years ago on my first visa to visit Australia. They'd mis-spelt my first name, and I was tempted to just leave it but somebody pointed out that Perth is an awfully long way to travel from the UK just to be turned away because my passport said John and the visa said Jon (or whatever). So I went through all the expense and rigmarole of returning it and asking them to issue another visa, and I was very glad that I'd done so when I arrived in Aussieland, it really was a long way, lol. You really do need the details to match perfectly, especially these days.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem when I applied for a COE in Sept. 2021.  They reversed my family and given name inexplicably.  I called the Thai embassy in my country and they told me they would reject my application as it would not pass airline or immigration inspection, and I should resubmit.  The second time was fine.  No issues. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bbko said:

What Embassy issued the visa?  I know the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles doesn't answer phone calls but will respond to e-mails.

Do you know if Bernard still works there? He used to man the window, now somewhere in back I think.

I have a similar problem, where my surname is written before my given name on my e-visa.

My gut feeling is that it wouldn't be a problem, as both names are correct, just the wrong way round.

Do you think I should contact the issuing embassy (London) or risk leaving it?

Many thanks

On 11/18/2021 at 10:21 PM, KhaoYai said:

especially by the airline.

One time when me and my Thai girlfriend was flying back to Thailand with Qatar airlines we passed the AirLine pass port checkup just to notice after we had passed we accidentally had swapped passports, I had hers, she had mine. They didn't complain or ask.

On 11/20/2021 at 2:51 PM, brotherother said:

I have a similar problem, where my surname is written before my given name on my e-visa.

My gut feeling is that it wouldn't be a problem, as both names are correct, just the wrong way round.

Many thanks

I just entered Thailand with a visa that had my last name first, and my given names second. No issues at all from either the airline or immigration in Phuket. 

I just received my 60 day TR visa from the London embassy (2 days to get approved). My surname is also written first and then my given name after.

I was going to start a thread to ask if this is normal or if I needed to contact them to get it corrected, but then I came across this topic.

Anyone else had thier names reversed on their entry visa's?

On 11/20/2021 at 2:51 PM, brotherother said:

Many thanks

Surnames and Christian names are often reversed on official documents

5 hours ago, mikesalaugh said:

Anyone else had thier names reversed on their entry visa's?

I think family name, given name and middle name is the standard way it done on the emailed stickerless visas.

Even my passport has my name's that way.

• Thanks 1