Registered post will cease to exist in Thailand from the New Year

webfact

4 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I guess I better get my passport renewal done quickly.

The USA embassy will only accept passport documents via Thai registered mail or DHL.

I tried to send my election ballot home via DHL in 2020 and it was a complete fail in several ways.

I wonder how you send in your old passport to the embassy for renewal when you go to the post office and use EMS, because if you use EMS you need to show your passport, which presumably is already sealed in your package.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I wonder how you send in your old passport to the embassy for renewal when you go to the post office and use EMS, because if you use EMS you need to show your passport, which presumably is already sealed in your package.

Good question. I haven't tried it yet. A Brit neighbor did and had no problem. I'll ask.

Is EMS the same as registered post?

Maybe a good copy of the passport page will do, along with a yellow book and Thai driver license.

12 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Good question. I haven't tried it yet. A Brit neighbor did and had no problem. I'll ask.

Is EMS the same as registered post?

Maybe a good copy of the passport page will do, along with a yellow book and Thai driver license.

Brits don't need to send their passport back when renewing it. They keep it for ID purposes.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Brits don't need to send their passport back when renewing it. They keep it for ID purposes.

OK, if you say so.

My neighbor sent his in and the old one was returned with the corner notched. He's also a French citizen so maybe it was his French  Passport.

As far as I know old passports are marked some way so they can't be used again. It would seem an oversight not to do that.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, John Drake said:

You won't be sending EMS packages for a long time if that is a British passport!