You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Registered post will cease to exist in Thailand from the New Year

webfact

9pm.jpg

Daily News reported that an announcement in the Government Gazette yesterday by the Thai Post Office indicated that the registered post service would be discontinued from January 1st next year.

The service began nearly 49 years ago on February 1st 1973.

But with technological advances taking over the number of customers for the service has dwindled over the years resulting in its discontinuation from New Year. 

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-19

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

7 minutes ago, bdenner said:

I use EMS on the odd occasion the online option craps out.

34 Baht in no way is expensive! And beats the hell out of a 220 km round trip.

Registered mail and EMS are two different animals.

To be fair, I said it was probably going to become more expensive. It currently costs me 18 baht to send my 90 day report by registered mail. If EMS costs 34 baht, that's an 89% increase in the mailing costs. :wai:

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, ezzra said:

This is bad news to anyone who sends items of value or importance as the post office now can take your money for a service they do not guarantee any longer and can always says Bad luck buddy, it got lost... i just don't see how is this an improvement in their service, more like a cop out from responsibilities...

It is not meant as an "improvement to their service", it is an acknowledgement that they no longer want to compete with those making money in the private sector. Too bad consumer, good news corporations.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, smedly said:

There was enough stuff going missing without this 

This is a step backwards for sure, how can any postal service function without registered mail - they may as well close up shop

Right, because obviously there are no private corporations offering this service.

38 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, that was the first thing you thought about, when living in Thailand. That you might have to pay 20 baht more for an EMS every 90 days. Horrible! I can feel your pain!

I do not use the mail in option and as I did not know if they were talking about the sytem that others use for mailing in so I asked the question.  It appears from the answers that there is an alternative called EMS.   I am not aware of the costs therefore my question had nothing to do with me saving money.   

Edited by fangless

1 hour ago, fangless said:

It appears from the answers that there is an alternative called EMS.

You did not know that they have EMS? That´s strange as it has been available worldwide for over two decades, I think.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

This is bad news to anyone who sends items of value or importance as the post office now can take your money for a service they do not guarantee any longer and can always says Bad luck buddy, it got lost... i just don't see how is this an improvement in their service, more like a cop out from responsibilities...

There are still be services like ems

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rabas said:

The Thai article talks about "certified" mail, or 'rap rawg'.  Registered mail is 'long thabien'. Registered and certified mail are generally considered different services.  Certainly, registered mail is not under used.

Registered mail is also 'rap rong'. 'long tabien' is also certified mail. 

So in Thailand, they are interchangeable. To get the signature, you must use additional words. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You did not know that they have EMS? That´s strange as it has been available worldwide for over two decades, I think.

Why should I know about them.  I have never had a need to send a letter in Thailand in over twenty years!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3