Where can I buy the Toyota GR Yaris?

macgt3

Yes, I realize Thailand got 100-some of them imported and that all were sold out. However, I also know that Toyota extended production to 2023 (possibly beyond). 

Long story short, I'm American living in Thailand and I'd like to buy a new GR Yaris here before it goes out of production. Short of buying one used, what are my options? - All I'm looking for is to secure an allocation. I don't mind waiting 1-2 years for it to arrive.

Toyota of Thailand has been extremely uncooperative. My Thai wife and I called Toyota of Thailand for months and they simply refused to help us with acquiring this car. We called multiple dealerships, as well, with pretty much the same outcome. I wanted this car ever since it debuted, but it's been a nightmare trying to secure one. Like with anything in life, it's all about connections. And sadly, I don't have any here lol. The Thai Toyota website with the GR Yaris info doesn't lead anywhere either (https://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/gryaris). I'm losing all hope ???? . Yeah, I know, first world problems (I'm a huge sucker for these homologation specials).

Taking into account Thailand's ridiculous import tax laws, I'm wondering if the cost of importing one from the UK would come out to roughly the same amount??? - They are much easier to find in the UK and much cheaper too. Curious if adding Thai import tax would equate to a similar price. 

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

18 minutes ago, macgt3 said:

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would say first you have to be staying in Thailand.

If Toyota Thailand are not going to sell it you will have to use an agent.

To import from UK forget it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BE88 said:

6ea3edbb1fbcc2348cd1f2d7a3767ee5214830a4

Why you fell in love with this non-aesthetic car and very expensive 2.690.000, in my humble opinion ?

Because to me it’s the best looking hot hatch ever made. It’s also a true homologation special. Find me a faster, more rewarding AWD hot hatch with a manual transmission in this price range. You can’t. The only new car in existence that comes close is the Golf R, which is not only more expensive, but also heavier and nowhere near as nimble. 

98F076A3-FAD6-48F7-BB7B-C5922E266724.jpeg

Edited by macgt3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, macgt3 said:

My Thai wife and I called Toyota of Thailand for months and they simply refused to help us with acquiring this car. We called multiple dealerships, as well, with pretty much the same outcome. I wanted this car ever since it debuted, but it's been a nightmare trying to secure one. Like with anything in life, it's all about connections. And sadly, I don't have any here lol.

Forget all the phone calls, make actual visits to the dealerships and ask.  If they still can't help, let them know you're willing to tip them a decent finders fee if they can get you one.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

A few months ago there's a couple of dealer who had ordered extra some sitting in their lot, didn't know if they let it go for over the selling price though. After this 'winter' season is over some of the existing owner would probably be selling theirs to move on to something else too, if you can wait that long.

get in touch with grey market dealers who have existing relationship with shippers/dealers from the UK, they already know what to do, they only need their guy in the UK to get a hold of unregistered or low mileage example, as Thailand is no longer allowing imports of 2nd hand vehicle. They should be able to get in under Toyota's Thailand list price, as they don't have warranty to worry about. note: UK cars will have their indicator/wiper stalks on what's considered the 'wrong' side here that may affect the values a little

• Thanks 1

I was watching a video of a UK Japanese car show featuring cars from the 70's 80's and 90's. Having lived in Thailand during this period I was amazed to see cars that I had never knew existed. I did some research on the current Toyota Corolla range. First surprise was that it is available in hatchback, estate and two saloon versions. The saloon available in Thailand is the Prestige but there is another completely different version called the Sport which is larger and is designed to fit in to the C+ market as larger than the standard Corolla but smaller than the Camry. Corollas are available in 9 different petrol engines ranging from a 1.2 liter turbocharged to a 2 liter as used in the Camry. Plus a 85% ethanol engine and a Hybrid system as used in the Prius.

Toyota Yaris as sold in Asean markets are based on the XP 150 released in 2013. All other markets use the XP 250 designed in 2020. Thailand also produced the 3 liter V6 petrol Fortuner for the SA market. Why did they never sell them locally?

To the OP the Yaris GR is also available in the Malaysian market. Perhaps after the borders open you could bring it in under a temporary import. Toyota GR Yaris launched in Malaysia – WRC special with 261 PS 1.6L turbo, AWD, 6-speed manual, RM299k

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stratocaster said:

To the OP the Yaris GR is also available in the Malaysian market. Perhaps after the borders open you could bring it in under a temporary import. Toyota GR Yaris launched in Malaysia – WRC special with 261 PS 1.6L turbo, AWD, 6-speed manual, RM299k

OP should contact an importer - bring in a brand new one. Full import, taxes paid, license plate.

Then no temp BS

13 hours ago, macgt3 said:

Because to me it’s the best looking hot hatch ever made. It’s also a true homologation special. Find me a faster, more rewarding AWD hot hatch with a manual transmission in this price range. You can’t. The only new car in existence that comes close is the Golf R, which is not only more expensive, but also heavier and nowhere near as nimble. 

98F076A3-FAD6-48F7-BB7B-C5922E266724.jpeg

I understand that for you it is the most beautiful because all tastes are different, otherwise they would make a single car and we would all be happy.

Personally I only like the cars designed by Italian designers, for the Japanese cars, little more best only Mazda over the depressing japan car uniform, the premium for the best monster design Japan is Juke, some like it, but they are not many given the complete failure of sales.

13 hours ago, seedy said:

OP should contact an importer - bring in a brand new one. Full import, taxes paid, license plate.

Then no temp BS

This is exactly the way I was leaning. Do you know of any reputable ones here? - I know there’s Spyder Auto Import. Any others?

5 hours ago, macgt3 said:

This is exactly the way I was leaning. Do you know of any reputable ones here? - I know there’s Spyder Auto Import. Any others?

Sorry - I have never done it so no first hand experience.

If you are close to BKK - or willing to visit - maybe take a trip there, book a room, and go visit some of the ones who import 'Grey Market' cars.

I believe - if they are new - that it can be done. But as I said no experience.

The law changed to stop second hand imports, but you see Mustangs here, as well as Camaros and Vettes. Someone must be doing it.

4 hours ago, LarrySR said:

I suggest you take a look at the new generation, Toyota GR86 & Subaru BRZ instead of the GR Yaris.

564000003367802.JPEG

I already have. Not my cup of tea. Nowhere near the pedigree, feel, and speciality of the GR Yaris. Most powerful 3-cyl engine in the world, loads of carbon and lightweight parts, astonishing AWD with 50-50 to 70-30 split, built mostly by hand in Motomachi plant… the list goes on. Don’t get me wrong, the GR86 is a good car for the price, but it is not in the same league and will never age as well as the GR Yaris will. 

The GR Yaris is an instant classic that’s already selling for double the price in some parts of the world. Mexico sold out of them in less than 24 hours. It’s truly the most unique and special Toyota ever built. IMO, much more special than the likes of MKIV Supra, etc.

A homologation unicorn. Those come once in a lifetime. The last homologation model that you could write home about was the e30 M3 and that was 35 years ago.

I know this market well. The GR Yaris is a car that will be worth 10+ million Baht 5-10 years from now. I can promise you that. 

Edited by macgt3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LarrySR said:

I suggest you take a look at the new generation, Toyota GR86 & Subaru BRZ instead of the GR Yaris.

Could not sell me a Subaru - no matter what badge is on the hood

Edited by seedy

20 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I see some of the people replying here apparently are not familiar with the new GR Yaris (homologation) model.  I can understand your passion in seeking one.  Many great videos and reviews on YouTube.  GR Racing Yaris' just finished first and second in the World Rally Championship.  Gazoo Racing (GR) is competing in many major series including winning Lemans 24 hours 4 times.  I wish I could offer some tips, but I do encourage you. Impressed by Gazoo Racing and Toyota, I have a new Hilux GR Sport, I ordered a month ago, en-route to the dealer from the factory today. Clearly just an appearance package, but a well equipped vehicle just the same.  I hope you manage to locate and buy the GR Yaris and keep us informed if you do.

Thanks for your input. I’m a huge fan of the Hilux chassis. I wish we had them in the US because I would be all over it. In fact, when the time is right, I also plan on purchasing one here in Thailand. Toyota is going back to its roots with the Gazoo Racing offerings and I aplaude them for it in the context of everything “old school” being phased out. The fact that the GR86, GR Yaris, and the all-but-confirmed GR Corolla and GR Supra will all offer a manual transmission is a blessing in the skies to us purists. 

Edited by macgt3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...