Has anyone shipped household goods or other bulk items abroad from Thailand via ocean freight (LCL) recently or since Covid lockdowns?

Isaanman

I have been searching the Internet and Thailand expat forums to find a reasonably priced international shipper to send 150+ cubic feet of household goods from Thailand to the U.S.A. this January before my retirement visa extension expires. Only a few shipping companies have even bothered replying to my inquiries, including the one I have already used on three different occasions! Do shipping companies not want our business??? Everyone is talking about the surge in ocean freight prices because of Covid (rising fuel costs, shortages of port employees [vaccine mandates], long waits by cargo vessels off offshore, etc.); but, I cannot find any actual data that confirms this specifically for these two countries of origin and destination, nor can I get a real quote to begin working with. I imagine there could be a good bit of bureaucratic/customs backlog on both sides fo the ocean also. Has anyone shipped anything from Thailand back to the U.S. this way in recent months or in the past year who is willing to tell about your experience and/or pass on any possible contacts or other pertinent info? Thanks.

I arranged to have a custom built desk shipped from Udon Thani to Edmonton Alberta with Eagle Movers.

Good English speaking reception on the phone and in the e-mail enquires

They came with a truck to my door, helped me dismantle the desk, thoroughly wrapped it and sent it Bangkok and then onwards.

Price for 1 cubic meter was close to 63,000 baht. One company quoted me double that.

Shipping prices right now are off the chart and delivery times are basically, "it'll get there when it gets there" 

I was quoted 7 weeks for delivery from Udon to Edmonton, but with the recent flooding in BC our west coast port is paralyzed 

Eagle Movers (Thailand) Co., Ltd. The Ninth Tower, 33/4, Rama 9 Road, Huai Khwang, 10310 Bangkok, Thailand. Phone: +66 (0) 2118 0378 Fax: +66(0) 2118 0301

Edited by kwonitoy
  • Like 1

So I did this several years ago, so don't know how covid has affected things.

150 cubic feet is about 4.5 cubic meters which tends to be shipping companies minium.

We shipped our stuff from Isaan to South Dakota, all told about 6-7 weeks.

Don't know where you are sipping stuff to, but unless it's a few miles from the port always get the steamship line to ship it to the nearest port of entry as a bonded shipment. Trucking will significantly increase the cost.

We used Asian Tigers, great service packing and delivery on the other end.

https://www.asiantigersgroup.com/thailand/?gclid=CjwKCAiAnO2MBhApEiwA8q0HYcVcx6QlCziPC_HqehcIeowtZuSOg9cClO76c5QRiuTkrImXKFjtFBoCUtUQAvD_BwE

I'll IM you the contact that we used, but can't be sure he is still there

2 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I arranged to have a custom built desk shipped from Udon Thani to Edmonton Alberta with Eagle Movers.

Good English speaking reception on the phone and in the e-mail enquires

They came with a truck to my door, helped me dismantle the desk, thoroughly wrapped it and sent it Bangkok and then onwards.

Price for 1 cubic meter was close to 63,000 baht. One company quoted me double that.

Shipping prices right now are off the chart and delivery times are basically, "it'll get there when it gets there" 

I was quoted 7 weeks for delivery from Udon to Edmonton, but with the recent flooding in BC our west coast port is paralyzed 

Eagle Movers (Thailand) Co., Ltd. The Ninth Tower, 33/4, Rama 9 Road, Huai Khwang, 10310 Bangkok, Thailand. Phone: +66 (0) 2118 0378 Fax: +66(0) 2118 0301

Should have mentioned that this pickup was done Oct 13, 2021. One week before I flew out of Thailand. Not looking for the shipment yet

On 11/23/2021 at 2:25 AM, kwonitoy said:

Yikes! As GinBoy2 correctly noted, 150 CFT is over 4 cubic meters. I am thinking that your ฿63k price was likely this high (soaring covid prices notwithstanding), because it was only 1 cubic meter. I have done this 3x already and know that the volume on ocean freight shipments is far more the determining factor of the price than the weight. On a pallet the same sized used for your desk (maybe 3' high?), I have been able to stack my pallet 7 feet high without raising the cost too terribly much. Throw in even a small 2nd pallet, and it gets much more expensive, as it takes up more room in the container. Nevertheless, as you experienced, Kwonitoy, the current shipping prices obviously appear to be much more expensive than normal--certainly more expensive than 3 years ago. I received a quote online on a quote calculator the other day that asked fairly specific questions (volume, weight, value of goods, method shipped (in my case: two 40" x 48" pallets), etc. The quote came back at around $3,300--from a BKK warehouse to my US residence on the east coast. That was not as bad as I thought it might be (like ฿63k sounds!); but, I still would need to get all of my goods up from the deep South to BKK. I am waiting for Asian Tigers to get back with me. Thanks for your input. 

• Like 1