Has the rules changed? Yellow tabien baan? driverc licence renew, i was refused today :(

Omega7

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It only "works fine" until it's checked!   

I was checked, they tell me "it's expired", and then I tell them, "yeah I will renew asap, here is 100 for your time to check, thank you" ????

still cheaper than the time wasted at the DoT with all their silly requirements that keep changing every year.

The whole country is an administrative mess, it's tedious. I thought European countries were messy with all the paperwork, but far less annoying than Thailand now. It used to be the other way around.

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ok, that's great!   Thanks to GrandPapillon for letting us into the RTP's policy on foreigners driving with invalid licences.   I don't reckon anyone should rely on it, though.

you can take your chance, no problem ????

of course this is assuming that you have a "REAL" driving license from your home country and you know how to drive

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Omega7 said:

today i went to nonthaburi transport department and got refused, saying i must have an address certificate from immigration or from embassy  

Exactly what happened to me when I went to Chonburi in Aug 2020, although they had previously accepted yellow book/pink card. I know someone who had renewed his at Chonburi not long before me and he had done it on yellow book.

I thought someone may have been transferred from the Pattaya office, but could be a creeping disease.

ts not the police i worry about, they doesnt mind you have one or not

what peoples always forget that you need a valid licance in case of an insurance case, or accident. if you run into a Benz and the insurance refuse to pay becouse you not have a valid licence then you are <deleted>, possible prison too

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In this example.... I would be interested to ‘speak’ with someone more senior and ask why the ‘ultimate’ proof of address is not accepted as a proof of address.... its just moronic. 

It was the manager that my wife spoke to and was told it was a change in policy. Why I thought she may have come from Pattaya being the same province. 

As far as I am aware Pattaya has never accepted the yellow book.

My yellow book is 12 years old and although I have been at that address for the duration it has to be accepted that may not have been the case.

43 minutes ago, Omega7 said:

i rushed back to the transport office of nonthaburi...  the checked all my papers again, and refused again, saying i need to bring a copy of my old passport which is on my old drivers licence...    really <deleted> this office today, in the past (2x) never had any problem renewing here... seems the sentiment has changed here towards foreigners ????

no, you think? they seem to be inventing new problems for us every time they find a new opportunity for it ????

3 minutes ago, seedy said:

You think - if you are driving - and have an accident, the insurance company will not check before paying out ?

Living in a Dream World that is.

they ask if you have a driving license, and I have one from another country, which is permitted on my insurance contract. Now they can find other reasons for not paying, they always do, like what is your visa status? ????

actually I did have a few minor accidents with both my cars, nothing serious, and I don't think they ever ask for my DL. It was full coverage. Not saying that other insurance company wouldn't ask for one.

36 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

they ask if you have a driving license, and I have one from another country, which is permitted on my insurance contract. Now they can find other reasons for not paying, they always do, like what is your visa status? ????

actually I did have a few minor accidents with both my cars, nothing serious, and I don't think they ever ask for my DL. It was full coverage. Not saying that other insurance company wouldn't ask for one.

Involved in accident, police come, file a report.

Insurance companies get a copy - yours will state no valid DL

Law states after 90 days - I believe - a Thai license is required.

Personally don't give a monkeys what others do. U want to risk it, I will sit back and read about it. Go Fund Me page or some such. And laugh

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Omega7 said:

i rushed back to the transport office of nonthaburi...  the checked all my papers again, and refused again, saying i need to bring a copy of my old passport which is on my old drivers licence...    really <deleted> this office today, in the past (2x) never had any problem renewing here... seems the sentiment has changed here towards foreigners ????

I had the old passport run around at DLT Morchit a few years ago. My old passport was 6,000 Miles away but thankfully after much discussion they accepted a email copy from my laptop. Keep those old passports to hand lads and ladies!

Edited by soi3eddie

1 minute ago, seedy said:

Gotta laugh - one or two hours every 5 years.

Oh - What a Burden !!! 555

more like a full day when some "last minute" requirements are added ????

and then you forget the annual "visa" renewal thing, can take 1 day to 2 days to prepare and process, and more when they add "last minute" requirements

surely, there is better way to use your time, no other countries are like that with their "established" expats

Even Thais settling in Western Europe don't have to go through that kind of mess once they are "settled", maybe only once every 5 years or 10 years

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 2:34 PM, GrandPapillon said:

just do the easy route, don't renew, when was the last time police checked your DL? exactly ????

my DL expired 10 years ago, and still working fine ????

One time I was stopped at a police check point and was asked to show my DL. I  didn't have it with me so I showed him my Medicare Card and he said thank you sir and let me pass, Amazing!!!

• Haha 2