Has the rules changed? Yellow tabien baan? driverc licence renew, i was refused today :(

Omega7

On 11/23/2021 at 10:32 AM, Omega7 said:

if i have pink card and do the renewal with that, then i only be able to drive inside the PROVINCE

A very similar thing happened me yesterday in Bangkok. My wife was told over the phone that I needed a residence letter from my embassy or immigration or the district office.  We got the one from the district office, free and much easier to get to than immigration and they give it to you immediately.

When we got to the DLT they said that if I used that letter, I would be issued with a licence that is only valid in Bangkok.

For anyone applying for the letter at Bangkok immigration, note that you have to go to the 90 day building at Muang Thong Thani, not Chaengwattana.  As we found out when we got to Chaengwattana.  I also did not receive a receipt.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

or until you have an accident which invalidates any insurance you may have, injuring or killing someone in an accident will be very expensive.

even with a valid DL, if you kill someone in an accident, you will be sued for more than the insurance can cover

and the police can still prosecute you for reckless driving, despite your valid DL

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

even with a valid DL, if you kill someone in an accident, you will be sued for more than the insurance can cover

and the police can still prosecute you for reckless driving, despite your valid DL

I don't just rely on the government road tax/insurance cover, I also have a private car insurance cover, as for prosecution one would have to be guilty first. When my car was hit by a Mercedes transport van the police had us both in the station, the insurance company from both sides were called in and our licenses checked, the Thai driver was prosecuted (he had fallen asleep at the wheel) and my damages were repaired, luckily nobody was injured despite severe damage to my car, my wife and I got out by crawling through the window.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

you are over-reacting, you don't get deported for an expired or missing DL

and you will always break the law, one way or another, so calm down and relax, they are not coming after you.

I've been here long enough to know that as foreigners we are at the mercy and judgment of the local authorities. I have no faith in their rationality in any given situation. Our right to stay here legally is totally in their hands so anything that brings my presence to their attention is best avoided.

We have a philosophical difference of opinion. If a law is reasonable and not burdensome or harmful I obey it for one simple reason. I have a substantial investment in my life here and must have a good reason to jeopardize that.

You prefer to assume laws don't have to apply to you and follow them when it suits you. This seems imprudent to my thinking. In any event it seems a moral hazard to advise others to disregard any law in a foreign country, which is exactly what you did and what I reacted to. The driving license was not the issue.

As long as we both sleep well at night then all is good. 

• Like 1

the DL is the issue, we are not talking VISA overstay or criminal activities,

not all laws are the same,

and I am sure you ignore a few ones when it's convenient and you can get away with it, like everyone else in the world ????

jesus ????

Edited by GrandPapillon

8 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Correct,I renewed my dl in June 2021 with Yellow book and pink id card.On the backside of my renewed dl is the remark I can drive only in my provence.Problem is nobody knows how to change my dl to a regular dl or they just lazy to do it

really?  can you post a photo of the back of your license?  i thought the women is crazy...

anyway yesterday i went back, got everything ready in less than 30 minutes.

and  they added my passport number on the license (not the pink card) even though the pink card was used as address proof

also i dont see any thing on the back mentioning driving only in Nonthaburi province....

and got it for 5 years  (never got 2 years) 

19 hours ago, Omega7 said:

really?  can you post a photo of the back of your license?  i thought the women is crazy...

anyway yesterday i went back, got everything ready in less than 30 minutes.

and  they added my passport number on the license (not the pink card) even though the pink card was used as address proof

also i dont see any thing on the back mentioning driving only in Nonthaburi province....

and got it for 5 years  (never got 2 years) 

IMG_20211126_125940.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 2:34 PM, GrandPapillon said:

just do the easy route, don't renew, when was the last time police checked your DL? exactly ????

my DL expired 10 years ago, and still working fine ????

So you are driving uninsured how selfish is that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

IMG_20211126_125940.jpg

wow, thank you, its really amazing...  Is there any explanation behind this?  if somebody has a license why on earth have to restrict it to use only inside the province, its puzzles me, what were they thinking when came up with this...  anyway im happy they didn't add this on my license.

3 hours ago, Omega7 said:

wow, thank you, its really amazing...  Is there any explanation behind this?  if somebody has a license why on earth have to restrict it to use only inside the province, its puzzles me, what were they thinking when came up with this...  anyway im happy they didn't add this on my license.

Because of the pink id card,those pink cards are actually for foreign worker (Laos,Cambodie etc.)

• Like 1