Has the rules changed? Yellow tabien baan? driverc licence renew, i was refused today :(

Omega7

Hi all, 

in the past 10 years I have renewed my thai drivers license twice using my yellow tabien baan as an address certificate.  

today i went to nonthaburi transport department and got refused, saying i must have an address certificate from immigration or from embassy  

has the rules changed?  or since when they not accept yellow tabien banh?

Also anybody can help me what now?  my embassy not issue address certificate :((  and immigration say i must have a 1 year extension if im to get one.

is there any other way??  is every immigration require a 1 year extension to issue adress certificate?

anybody any idea how i can renew my license now?  i have only until 31 december and i drive daily, would really use some help here

thank you so much

• Like 1

Motor forum better advice. 

Not sure about Nonthaburi.

In Bangkok you require residence certificate or embassy confirmation of address.

RC is obtained at MTT cost is 200baht. Is posted to you and can take up to 2 weeks (usually one week).

You will need to show previous 90 day report. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

It seems your local DLT office has changed their requirements.

For the certificate of residency from immigration the requirements can vary from office to office. Bangkok immigration want you to be doing 90 day reports.

Moved the Thailand Motor forum.

• Like 2

I called my embassy, they said they dont isue official address certificate,  but i can write it myself and they stamp it and certify my signature...lol

will that be accepted?  is there an official form for this i should fill?   (maybe transport department only check stamp and will be good?)

(is it need to certify with the thai foreign ministry too after my embassy stamp it??)

My Car DL expires in next 6 months so need to renew soon. Previously I have used letter from embassy. I'm on Non-O extension but will not stay for more than 90 days next trip (so cannot get letter from Immigration). I do have yellow book and pink card. Does anyone know if Land Transport at Morchit will accept this?

Alos is there anyway that i can try renew my drivers licence in other office??? i mean i have a yellow tabien bahn with a Nonthaburi address, can i try renew my licence in Bangkok or Hua hin ?  or i can only renew in nonthaburi??

12 minutes ago, Omega7 said:

I called my embassy, they said they dont isue official address certificate,  but i can write it myself and they stamp it and certify my signature...lol

will that be accepted?  is there an official form for this i should fill?   (maybe transport department only check stamp and will be good?)

(is it need to certify with the thai foreign ministry too after my embassy stamp it??)

What country ?

14 minutes ago, Omega7 said:

For USA this is a blank Affidavit: You fill out...do not sign until in presence of office at window...basically you are just stating your address in Thailand and they are certifying that you swore to them this is your address. 1500 baht at embassy

blank-affidavit.pdf

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Omega7 said:

THE PINK CARD.... the most funny

the women insisted that if i have pink card and do the renewal with that, then i only be able to drive inside the PROVINCE... my wife asked back 3 times to repeat this...

are they going crazy?

If the alien's pink ID card is used for primary ID on a Thai DL, then the driver should carry their passport with them when driving out of province and be prepared to show that if/when requested.

To avoid this bureaucratic speed bump, it's always recommended to use your passport as your primary ID for a Thai DL or renewal thereof. Then you can leave your passport at home or just carry a copy when out and about.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Sure about that? 

Probably all problems solved ---maybe a tad wishful, can't alter that neighbor playing his stereo too loud.

But Driving license--- yes done mine about 3 months ago---while friends all had to rush of and get P.O.R 

Its the same as having the Thai ID card--- I withdraw from Banks money just with that, etc etc--your 13 digit number is in their (Gov) computers.

Done my Vax jabs---its nice not having to carry the Passport around.

There has been numerous posts on it here

But being Thailand I couldn't say -Hand heart, because different areas different rules--but thats how its supposed to work.

Only time I used my Passport of late has been hotel---they accept card but want to see Visa for I.O

• Like 1

Don't think any rules have changed.

This is from the dlt website for what has always been required:

ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY

It seems you were lucky in the past that they accepted something other than what the dlt officially require, that seems to be no longer the case.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 2

Every time I have had to provide proof of Address I get one from the local Police Station Burriram. They have a saved word document and simply change the Name and Address. Two Passport Photos. Free but of course a bit of tea money for their trouble 100bht. The Luv Machine takes the House Book but by memory she has never showed it. Only needed Passport all done in 5 minutes.

Edited by Thaifish
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

It seems you were lucky in the past that they accepted something other than what the dlt officially require, that seems to be no longer the case.

CNX accepts Yellow Book for everything, DL, transfer, etc

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

being Thailand I couldn't say -Hand heart, because different areas different rules--but thats how its supposed to work

I contacted BSR bikes...They do car/bike  license assistance.

I obtained my license at Mo Chit.

Here is there reply from them...

"Hi Jack. You can either contact your embassy to see if they provide them (most do) or visit Thai Immigration" 

I'm not sure about pink card and house book etc will work everywhere in Bangkok. 

I note that poster earlier in thread confirmed he was able to renew without RC or Embassy address confirmation.

2 hours ago, Omega7 said:

already called Thesabahn, going to get my thai pink ID card at 1 pm, after that back to the transportation office..lets see if i can pull it off 1 afternoon ????

Just make sure the pink alien ID card is only used to verify your residential address that will be printed on the obverse of the Thai DL, and you have your current passport as the primary ID number on the face of your Thai DL.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Just make sure the pink alien ID card is only used to verify your residential address that will be printed on the obverse of the Thai DL, and you have your current passport as the primary ID number on the face of your Thai DL.

Why ? I use my Thai ID for everything.

Edited by seedy

7 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

just do the easy route, don't renew, when was the last time police checked your DL? exactly ????

they will check it if you get into a road accident, even if you are a great driver youself there are still other people on the road.

• Like 1