Has the rules changed? Yellow tabien baan? driverc licence renew, i was refused today :(

Omega7

3 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

One time I was stopped at a police check point and was asked to show my DL. I  didn't have it with me so I showed him my Medicare Card and he said thank you sir and let me pass, Amazing!!!

Refreshing, and just another reason why we never ceased to be 'amazed' as you put it to life in the Kingdom....I love tales like this, nice to be pinched..........................

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Just checked my 2 year licence.

It runs out in February 2022 and has my passport number on it - rather than pink ID card number.

Does it make any difference what number is on it when it comes to renewal?

RAZZ

No. Mine had passport before I got Yellow Book

Now has Thai ID number

Keeps all Thai Gov't matters under the same number - hospital, DL, etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boriga said:

I would suggest you visit another DLT  office. I renewed min in March and wife (farang) recently, 2 weeks ago, using Yellow Tabien. My Tabien Baan and TM 30 were not in the same province as that DLT. You can do it anywhere, any DLT 

That's not always true. I tried to renew in Angthong, they told I have to do it in Bangkok, as foreigner have to do it at the place where they registered with address. Even in Bangkok where more than 1 DLT exists, I want do it first at Chaling.... and they told my district for renew is Rama 2!
OK at Rama 2 no problem and it's easy to reach (easier than Morchit. Maybe this would work as this I think is the main for Bangkok. and I use it for car registration and other things).

On 11/23/2021 at 4:32 AM, Omega7 said:

THE PINK CARD.... the most funny

the women insisted that if i have pink card and do the renewal with that, then i only be able to drive inside the PROVINCE... my wife asked back 3 times to repeat this...

are they going crazy?

Correct,I renewed my dl in June 2021 with Yellow book and pink id card.On the backside of my renewed dl is the remark I can drive only in my provence.Problem is nobody knows how to change my dl to a regular dl or they just lazy to do it

1. Call Fat Boys (agent to get driving license), if they can help try calling an immigration agent and see if they can get your address report, lastly, the US Embassy does it the way you said, you just attest to your address and they notarize it, that’s what I used.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:43 AM, fdsa said:

they will check it if you get into a road accident, even if you are a great driver youself there are still other people on the road.

And also null and void any insurance policy should an accident arise.!!

In Pakchong I have always renewed my license using passport and confirmation of address from my local amphoe (free).  This year I decided to bite the bullet and get a yellow book/pink ID.  I went to renew my license a month ago and was told that I still needed an address confirmation and that if I wanted to change from using my passport number to pink ID number (as License ID) I would need to start again, i.e the full test. 

On a side note.  Went into my Bangkok Bank branch recently to open a FX account and was told I needed an address confirmation from Immigration.  I whipped out my Pink ID and yellow book which made no difference.  Still needed address confirmation.  I get the account eventually but only after the manager personally vouched for me.  Struggling to see any real benefits.

• Like 1

This is just one more reason why I now use an agent after living here and doing everything myself for more than thirty years.  Not having to deal with the bureaucracy is well worth the small price paid to the agent. I now only go to immigration one time each year for a scheduled appointment that lasts about 10 to fifteen minutes.

1 hour ago, seedy said:

No. Mine had passport before I got Yellow Book

Now has Thai ID number

Keeps all Thai Gov't matters under the same number - hospital, DL, etc

Not all. Chonburi used to do the Thai ID but they will only do passport now for a foreigner.

I notice on my yellow vaccination certificate you now have a Citizen ID number as well as passport number. 

Does this mean I can use the 13 number ID? 

I don't have pink card/yellow book as always used Passport, for hospital Reg, DL, banking etc

Just done my 3rd 5 year DL and if you are married to a Thai I get a proof of residence letter from local Amphur. 

This time our district rules have changed and as well as wife being present, I needed 2 witnesses and a book case full of photocopies etc, for the interview, but it was free.... 

Edited by phutoie2
Grammar

On 11/23/2021 at 10:06 AM, seajae said:

I had to do the same thing last year, they want a certificate probably because they make you pay for it when it is supposed to be free, 500 baht was what I was asked for with no receipt at immigration, yellow book should be enough but graft is better for govt workers. Immigration do it on the spot so it is reasonably easy to get or at least it was at our immigration office as long as you paid them to do it

From what I understand, the certificate is indeed free … if you are willing to wait for it. If you prefer “expedited” service, ah then the 500 baht (which is what I opted to do here in Chiang Mai).

Omega 7,

I had huge problems renewing my DL. In my area, previously you got a letter from immigration - certificate of residence - and DLT gave a short colour test and a new license. My amphur told me get a tabian baan and a pink ID. I did and DLT refused. The registrar got on the phone and eventually DLT agreed to renew.

The problem is that it can be different in every area, but they told me I could renew my DL in any area legally. Check the various posts on this issue, and find an office you can travel to and get a new DL.

In my area people are using agents in Pattaya (different DLT office) to arrange for renewal.

At my embassy they offered an affirmation of address to get round this problem but there was no guarantee that this would work. If you want to try this you would have to speak to your Nonthaburi office.

To solve your problem, renew at a nearby office or go to agents.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:25 PM, billd766 said:

I just looked at mine and it expired in March 2021.

You have 12 months grace to renew it normally, after that you have to start doing extra tests. Mine expired Dec last year, tried to renew it earlier this year but Ubon office told me to go away, come back later “when COVID finish”. Finally renewed it in September with no problems.

And the Ubon office asked for a yellow tabien baan, which I don’t have. No problem, the lady rang up the local Tourist Police who came down to the DLT, took photos of my passport, went back to their office to print off the letters then delivered back to me while I did my medical certificate. I guess the Tourist Police in Ubon don’t have much else to do ?

Sure, there was a “service fee” but no more than what it cost me for a Stat Dec at the Australian embassy in Bangkok last time I renewed.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:06 AM, seajae said:

I had to do the same thing last year, they want a certificate probably because they make you pay for it when it is supposed to be free, 500 baht was what I was asked for with no receipt at immigration, yellow book should be enough but graft is better for govt workers. Immigration do it on the spot so it is reasonably easy to get or at least it was at our immigration office as long as you paid them to do it

THE RECEIPT is your cert of R.......

On 11/23/2021 at 2:34 PM, Omega7 said:

I called my embassy, they said they dont isue official address certificate,  but i can write it myself and they stamp it and certify my signature...lol

will that be accepted?  is there an official form for this i should fill?   (maybe transport department only check stamp and will be good?)

(is it need to certify with the thai foreign ministry too after my embassy stamp it??)

Be careful with embassy stamps, e.g. they charge to stamp documents.

I renewed my Thai drivers and riders licence in June 2018 for 5 years, at that time, no immigration address certificate was required, albeit it, it was required the time before that in 2015 when I applied for my 1st one when I retired here, I also had to provide them with a doctors certificate that I was fit to drive, didn't even get out of the car, wife walked in and came out 2 minutes later, cost was 30 baht I think, she just showed the doctor my overseas licence.....lol

In 2018 all I showed was my pink card, previous licences, did the eye test and sat listening to the video in Thai, paid and left with both licenses.

Could be that the rules have changed, or the staff are confused, this does happen often in both cases. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 10:37 AM, Omega7 said:

Alos is there anyway that i can try renew my drivers licence in other office??? i mean i have a yellow tabien bahn with a Nonthaburi address, can i try renew my licence in Bangkok or Hua hin ?  or i can only renew in nonthaburi??

You can renew at any DLT office. I usually renew at Nonthaburi (Tivanon Road) but a couple of months ago I renewed at Cha-am. Much quieter and easy.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 2:34 PM, GrandPapillon said:

just do the easy route, don't renew, when was the last time police checked your DL? exactly ????

my DL expired 10 years ago, and still working fine ????

So in essence your advice is to break Thai law?

Everything/anything is legal until you're caught.

Nationals are not deported for infractions but aliens can be. That changes the game IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Certifying residency by Immigration has always been a DLT requirement. With 90 day reporting and yearly extensions Immigration are best placed to certify residency

This is the problem with the inconsistency with which regulations are understood and enforced. 

What you say is not true for everyone, while it may be true in your experience. 

I’ve been driving here for over 20 years (numerous driving licences) always renewed at DLT Area 3 Bangkok (Nr Sukhumvit 99).

Before I acquired my Yellow Tabien Baan housebook and Pink ID, which I used for my more recent licence renewal a couple of years ago I always used an Embassy Issued Affirmation of Residence letter. 

I have never had to rely on the Immigration Issued Certificate or Residency, in fact I’ve never been able to get one as I have never carried out a 90 day report. Yet, at other Immigration offices (Chiang Mai for example) it is reported that people can get the Certificate of Residence from Immigration without having submitted a 90 day report. 

This forum highlights perfectly how differently the requirements are interpreted by each individual DLT and immigration office. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

So in essence your advice is to break Thai law?

Everything/anything is legal until you're caught.

Nationals are not deported for infractions but aliens can be. That changes the game IMO.

you are over-reacting, you don't get deported for an expired or missing DL

and you will always break the law, one way or another, so calm down and relax, they are not coming after you

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

One time I was stopped at a police check point and was asked to show my DL. I  didn't have it with me so I showed him my Medicare Card and he said thank you sir and let me pass, Amazing!!!

not bad, should try that one next time ????

You could also use your "Embassy" registration card, it has a few official logos and "diplomatic" stamps, and you can even get an official salute from the coper when he lets you go ????

On 11/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, Omega7 said:

got refused, saying i must have an address certificate

Interesting to read so many variations and inconsistences in Thailand - typical! 

This was what I had to accomplish to get my Thai driving license renewed prior to relocating to Cambodia where a Thai Driving License is valid (as with other ASEAN ones).

First, went to DLT office in Chumphae, Khon Kaen Province to collect letter from DLT requesting Immigration to provide my "proof of address" certificate (free of charge)

Second, drove to Khon Kaen Immigration and presented the DLT letter, waited a short time and collected the certificate (free of charge)

Third, returned to the DLT office and presented the certificate with my passport, my pick-up's blue book and old license.

Fourth, asked to take the 3 tests for colour blindness, reaction and perception. (all passed) 

Fifth, returned to main DLT office where my photo was taken for insertion on new license. 

Finally, paid a fee of 100 baht and received my new 5 year driving license valid to my 80th birthday in 2024. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Fourth, asked to take the 3 tests for colour blindness, reaction and perception. (all passed) 

I think I missed 2 out of 3, and still got my DL. I had to re-take "perception" like 3 times before I got accepted. Got to say, the staff at DL office were wonderful and helpful to make sure I could get it ????

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jorgendk said:

When I got my first driving licens 5 years ago, I was told I had to get certificate of residency from immigration, but was also told to go and get the yellow house book as soon as I could, because it would make it easy next time, because then I would not need the certificate any more.
When I 2 years after, went to renew, I only had to show the yellow book. (This is at Mukdahan)

Same at Surin, renewed 3 times with the yellow book.

• Like 2