The wait is over: One million doses of Moderna vaccine donated by US arrive in Thailand

webfact

screenshot_15850.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that the wait for Moderna was over.

They said that the US embassy page announced yesterday that a one million dose donation to the Thai government had arrived in the country.

The embassy used the hashtag #FriendsPartnersAllies to celebrate the arrival of the vaccine that many feel offers some of the best protection.

The Thai media said that this donation followed one of Pfizer earlier amounting to 1,503,450 doses bringing the total donated by the US to over 2.5 million doses. 

Meanwhile some posters on ASEAN NOW have been reporting that they have been able to get a Moderna jab already though the majority who have booked the "paid for vaccine" are still waiting to be notified. 

Daily News gave no indication if the donation of Moderna that arrived yesterday carried any stipulations as to its use. 

Visa-compliant insurance plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-23

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Pictures worth a thousand words.

Compare the photograph of the Prime Minister thanking the Chinese Ambassador for 1.5 million doses of vaccine in the Ivory Room at Government House on 12 November.  Just 11 days ago. 

Compare to the picture from the US Embassy with the US acting ambassador being thanked at what looks like a custom shed by a customs officer for the delivery of the 1 million Moderna. No thanks from the PM, no reception at Government House. Just the memory of when the Thai government spat on the US' offer from Tammy Duckworth for 1 million Pfizer doses.

Chinese vaccines arrive.jpg

American Vaccines arrive.jpg

Southeast Asia has become a hotbed of strategic rivalry between China and the United States. China is asserting its influence in the region through economic statecraft and far-reaching efforts to secure its sovereignty claims in the South China Sea, while the United States has promoted a Free and Open Indo-Pacific strategy that explicitly challenges China’s expanding influence—warning other countries that Beijing is practicing predatory economics and advancing governance concepts associated with rising authoritarianism in the region.

https://www.brookings.edu/book/rivalry-and-response/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

how about getting a moderna booster. its half a dose. anyone else need a booster we can split a full moderna dose.  i will get jabbed first and you can use same needle and have remaining dose for you. ok  ?

Ever thought of a stand-up career? You're a natural

Well and good but where is the rest of the orders that have been paid for and where is the other half of the first order. Is this a case of America grabbing this million doses from Moderna and donating them to look good which will now put the paid for orders behind again. If the Thai government gives this lot of vaccines to the people that paid for it will they also refund the money that they got for it. 555555555555555

• Like 1

The 27 double doses of Moderna I ordered and paid for were replaced by other available vaccines long ago.

The hospital refuses to return the money or even tell me when those vaccines will arrive, and has so far said that we cannot use them for boosters if we have had other vaccines...

So, as much as I want to rearrange some furniture in that hospital, if I have to take 27 Hill Tribe people in to get Moderna vaccines at my expense, that's what I will do.

Scammers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, DLock said:

The 27 double doses of Moderna I ordered and paid for were replaced by other available vaccines long ago.

The hospital refuses to return the money or even tell me when those vaccines will arrive, and has so far said that we cannot use them for boosters if we have had other vaccines...

So, as much as I want to rearrange some furniture in that hospital, if I have to take 27 Hill Tribe people in to get Moderna vaccines at my expense, that's what I will do.

Scammers.

This is from THG and is a reply to a couple of questions I asked:

"You can wait for your queue and we will send you a notification to do the processes. At that point, you can transfer one shot to anyone and keep the other shot for yourself."

This is what the wife and myself are doing once we get notification but with queue numbers at 145*** it is going to be a while!

I have had Pfizer thanks to expatvac and the wife has bought from a different hospital with a much smaller queue number. Hopefully end of this week or next week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, digbeth said:

The people who paid for their Moderna are still not getting theirs, 

Right. Wife pre-paid for Moderna. Still hasn't gotten it. She called the hospital through which we paid for it a few days ago and was given the typical Thai runaround of "go check the website" and the site was unclear and gave no helpful information.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Donated or dumped cos Americans dont want it

Every American that wanted a vaccine got a vaccine. Very few, if any at all, had the Chinese version forced on them. There were excess doses that either would expire or could be used elsewhere. Why Thailand is beyond me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Thailand has already decided to ally with China over the US. That's a given. But I have two questions: 1) why does Thailand continue to insult the US as in the treatment of the two donations in these two photos (as well as refusing the Tammy Duckworth 1 million Pfizer donation)? 2) why does the US continue to allow Thailand to insult them and kick sand in their face like this?

** Thai Government not Thailand.

Based on the fact that purchases via private hospitals required use of the GPO channel (or so we were told by the regime) my guess is that all 1.0 mm of these donated vaccines will go to the TRC, and the 1.4 mm Zulleg/GPO delivery will go to private hospitals.

from an article on the attempted Poland Moderna donation to Thammasat kerfuffle from a few weeks ago:

According to the ministry, the donated vaccine could not be sold and the hospital did not secure market authorisation from the Moderna producer. For these reasons, the ministry said it could not release the status confirmation letter for the hospital.

My Moderna PoS is up to queue number 16,000, adding 3,000 every two days.