Xmas

overherebc

1 hour ago, tonray said:

The whole thing is asburd. Putting up plastic Xmas trees for a society that does not even believe (or understand) anything about Christmas. (BTW you can now order a real imported tree from Canada at Tops market for 7000 baht)....ahhh the spirit of shopping here once again.

Little or nothing to do with Christmas ..just a commercial opportunity and kids with no understanding enjoy it  ..get parents into the malls ...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, camble said:

The sign on the tree at Terminal 21 says "2022 Magic Christmas". They don't realize Christmas and New Years are different. 

IMG_20211101_141559.thumb.jpg.4e6e426be68d148777f54297d58ddc1e.jpg

Nope, they are a year ahead of the rest of us.   They are, obviously and optimistically, betting on the date for the return of tourists. 

3 hours ago, tonray said:

The whole thing is asburd. Putting up plastic Xmas trees for a society that does not even believe (or understand) anything about Christmas. (BTW you can now order a real imported tree from Canada at Tops market for 7000 baht)....ahhh the spirit of shopping here once again.

... yep, just an additional opportunity to throw around some money.

Seems to work fine and not just hereabouts ... think of Halloween, nobody in at least any German speaking country I'm aware of would give The Slightest for that one like maybe two decades ago, now: chachinga ...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Seen Xmas trees but no noteable music as yet !

You reminded me , outside Lotus today they were erecting father xmas right outside the door , still in November but what do they know. I think last year every time I went to Lotus around this time I would politly say  " Get pheked Santa ". Ho ho ho , up yours Santa .

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There are over 700,000 Christians in Thailand and one village, Tha Rae Village, some 20 miles north of Sakon Nakhon. is almost entirely Christian and quite well known, locally for their festivals.

I am atheist, but my Buddhist wife always wants us to do something for Christmas, so I just go with the flow of this confusing juxtaposition.

Didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities, just being my normal grumpy Grinch-like self in the morning. Carry on..ho ho ho

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:45 PM, tonray said:

Christmas trees have sod all to do with the birth of the Christ. More likely to do with the pagan festivals that the Christians usurped.

I doubt that most in many countries celebrate it for the birth of the saviour, as IMO the only god most worship now is money and greed.