Locals in central Thailand in knots over hanging wires

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Furious locals called in the Thai media after constant trouble caused by a mish-mash of unsightly wires. 

Forget the Hanging Gardens of Babylon these were another wonder of the "modern" world - The Hanging Wires of Ang Thong. 

The media reported that PM Prayuth's cabinet was supposed to be tackling the issue.

But only some places in Bangkok, Pattaya and other main cities and main roads had received the multi billion baht spending to make Thailand beautiful again. 

The issue was raised in 2016 when none other than Bill Gates spurred the Thai government into action with some damning holiday snaps from his hotel window. 

But Ang Thong in central Thailand has been largely forgotten.

Now the locals want something done before there is more damage caused by the tangled cables and electrical wires, reported Sanook.

Fires have been a perennial problem there.

Over the years since Big Bill posted there have been countless tales of the Hanging Wires of Thailand, notes ASEAN NOW.

Apart from fires, people have been electrocuted in the street or strangled when passing on motorcycles. 

Sometimes high trucks bring the whole lot crashing down. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-25

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

The cost of putting these underground must be staggering......or is it just a matter of tidying up what is above ground???

The easiest and cheapest is to probably lay new in the ground and recover the overhead scrap for recycling.

This was the way they did it along Sukhumvit road.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

The cost of putting these underground must be staggering......or is it just a matter of tidying up what is above ground???

Long time ago I worked for a software company which developed software for refineries. It seems many refineries have so many pipes that basically nobody knows anymore which of these pipes are (sometimes) used and which not. So if they need a new pipe they don't even try to look if they can reuse and existing pipe. Because nobody wants to be responsible for reusing the wrong pipe.

I guess with Thai electric wires the principle is the same.

• Thanks 1

Remember back in 2005 when BT were restructuring and creating OpenReach, the Market value for BT was less than the actual asset value if the company. In that if you bought it outright you could have nearly doubled your money by selling off all the redundant copper cable that was lying around in exchanges,  ditches and buildings. There's money in those wires.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Long time ago I worked for a software company which developed software for refineries. It seems many refineries have so many pipes that basically nobody knows anymore which of these pipes are (sometimes) used and which not. So if they need a new pipe they don't even try to look if they can reuse and existing pipe. Because nobody wants to be responsible for reusing the wrong pipe.

I guess with Thai electric wires the principle is the same.

Wife, who knows everything and is never wrong, has just confirmed the above......cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Yes....people on here have explained to me now......most of what you see is redundant wiring and the whole mess just needs stripping away.

One word from Russell Crowe would have had this all sorted out.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

In 5 years I have had 3 providers each time a new cable slung to the 1000’s that are already  there and surplus

Edited by Almer
Spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RayWright said:

Remember back in 2005 when BT were restructuring and creating OpenReach, the Market value for BT was less than the actual asset value if the company. In that if you bought it outright you could have nearly doubled your money by selling off all the redundant copper cable that was lying around in exchanges,  ditches and buildings. There's money in those wires.

If a thai reads your post the Internet will be down by the morning

10 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

We have our own private power grid that stretches around 2 kilometres

Thats impressive.

That must have cost a bundle!

Don't they ever inquire who's cutting there wires?

Good for you.

You gotta have good internet these days!

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Don't they ever inquire who's cutting there wires?

Of course. I tell them I did it.

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

That must have cost a bundle!

Actually the Crown Property Bureau paid for it. I've no idea how much it cost but it would have been very expensive. It also has multiple transformers. I'm responsible for it.

You gotta have good internet these days!

Right. It's business critical for me. I have a microwave backup link in case someone cuts the line.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly