Anutin hits out at bars and pubs for opening illegally

webfact

This teetotaling, puritanical nonsense cannot continue indefinitely. Not if the families behind Singha and Chang have anything to say about it.

Those in govt might not like the bar owners and employees, but the top hi-so elite who actually make the booze have had their wallets lightened a bit much for too long, for which there will definitely be a reckoning. ????

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

This teetotaling, puritanical nonsense cannot continue indefinitely. Not if the families behind Singha and Chang have anything to say about it.

Those in govt might not like the bar owners and employees, but the top hi-so elite who actually make the booze have had their wallets lightened a bit much for too long, for which there will definitely be a reckoning. ????

You think people have not been buying booze?

Sales will be down by virtue of the lack of international visitors - beyond that, domestic sales have not dropped. 

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Sukhumvit Soi 7 rammed again last night (so I am told).

15 or so RTP turned up to close it all down at 2030.

Just managed to make it to soi 4 for ham, egg and chips before they closed that down as well.

Must be a concerted effort.

My locale, some 20km, from Pattaya was raided yesterday lunchtime with reports of a couple of Farangs taken away.

In the evening there was much caution as word of an evening visit went around. My favourite 'restaurant' closed at 8pm and will not open until Sunday evening (because of elections).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Must be a concerted effort.

My locale, some 20km, from Pattaya was raided yesterday lunchtime with reports of a couple of Farangs taken away.

In the evening there was much caution as word of an evening visit went around. My favourite 'restaurant' closed at 8pm and will not open until Sunday evening (because of elections).

Seen this a few times now. They send in an 'undercover' agent...... they're Thai, police haircut, jeans and leather jacket and stand out like a sore thumb. Half an hour later the uniformed police pile in and, to be fair, there is no hassle, everyone just drinks up and the bars close.

Edited by Will B Good

On 11/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, Geoffggi said:

He must be after the record for comments aimed at him & his boss. - As in never mind the hi-so or government people breaking the law to our friend Cha Cha providing wonderful vaccines, I thought most of the good stuff came via donations, you really cannot make this stuff up ............................LOL

Now you can see why they are called The Chuckle Brothers. Real comedians the pair of them. ????

• Like 1

I won't waste my words on this self serving corrupt, from top to bottom, mafia masquerading as a government. I will say that K. Anutin should play to his strengths and legalize weed now. As health minister he will also contribute to less road kill. He should be held jointly, if not solely, responsible for road deaths per capita. Get on on it rather than be a scolding talking head.

20 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Beg to differ, the government knew exactly what they were doing and bought the vaccines that were most profitable to themselves and their mates.

Just wish it was possible for some authority to look into this unelected PM and his generals bank accounts. Comparing them from 2014 when they stole the country and now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Seen this a few times now. They send in an 'undercover' agent...... they're Thai, police haircut, jeans and leather jacket and stand out like a sore thumb. Half an hour later the uniformed police pile in and, to be fair, there is no hassle, everyone just drinks up and the bars close.

True  -  but sometimes it goes beyond that.

In most cases the 'restaurants' are aware that a visit from provincial police is imminent (usually advised the amphur police).

Yesterday I heard that 2 Farangs had been taken to the police station (hearsay).

Last month a friend was caught in a raid in Jomtien; the police said "I see 7 bottles, we take 7 people to the monkey house". So they did, released 10 hours later with 6 Thais and 1 Farang each paying 6,000 Baht fines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Sukhumvit Soi 7 rammed again last night (so I am told).

15 or so RTP turned up to close it all down at 2030.

Just managed to make it to soi 4 for ham, egg and chips before they closed that down as well.

If your wife would know where you spend your free time. She thought you were at the temple.

5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

In most cases the 'restaurants' are aware that a visit from provincial police is imminent (usually advised the amphur police).

Yesterday I heard that 2 Farangs had been taken to the police station (hearsay).

Last month a friend was caught in a raid in Jomtien; the police said "I see 7 bottles, we take 7 people to the monkey house". So they did, released 10 hours later with 6 Thais and 1 Farang each paying 6,000 Baht fines.

That's 42000 Baht

6 Thais x 1000Baht

1 Farang x 36000Baht

53 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I imagine where the numbers are quite low they will be happy to do that and 'send a message'.

In the case of soi 7 you could single out a small group for special attention, but things could get out of hand very quickly.......wise to just shut it all down and shoo people out en masse.

23 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Let the police control more and more .. here in phetchaburi some restaurants/bars are illegally open for months already without any checking by the police.....How do they the calll that?? bribery/corruption/lack of police???

Thai culture I think.....so it is allowed.

On 11/26/2021 at 10:07 AM, tomacht8 said:

The normal population ignores that. The Thais have always been world champions at the village level to ignore the nonsense from Bangkok. A new "Suthep" is needed to question the rulers. In the last election there was a young politician who tried to advance Thailand's future. He was sawed off by the establishment according to all the rules of the art ... I don't see much future for a progressive, new Thailand. Unfortunately. All teeth of the former young tiger were pulled. 7 years since the military coup and only moving backwards. New constitution with a guarantee of power. The rulers are quite unabashedly securing access to the state funds and no one asks for transparency where the funds have gone. And if someone asks for it, he is gone in no time. The purchase of submarines, ATKs, vaccines, luxury watches, telephones, road construction, high-speed railway lines, Huahin park figures, buses, street lamps are just a few examples. As a taxpayer, I've stopped being angry and am making my own exit plans.

Tens of thousands have already left, and tens of thousands of expats are in your exact position. As sad as it is to admit, Thailand's future looks very bleak. 

Prayuth has indeed succeeded. In bringing unhappiness, rising suicide, homelessness, unemployment, and desperation to his people. 

Woe are the Thai people. Woe is Thailand. Sierra Leone in the making. 

22 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Sadly, she is never more than 20' away and even then she is watching me like a hawk.

So sorry to hear that. That sounds positively oppressive. 

Early on in our relationship my wife and I discussed the wonders and value of independence. She did not understand at first, as it is inherent within the nature of most Thais to be overly possessive, jealous and clingy. I told her I would much rather be dead, than live that life. She got it. And we both adore the independence we have to this day.

Some accept the nonsense. Some fight it and carve out their dream reality. It is possible. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 6:23 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

If anyone was in any doubt about the agenda of this puritanical regime against alcohol.

There it is, in black and white.

If you have a bar or entertainment business in Thailand, you might want to consider diversifying into other sectors.

One wonders if those guys drink. Anyone know?