Ministry mulls "Salt Tax" as kidney disease cases rocket

webfact

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

OMG.......same, same.

My wife is a 'feeder'......a full English for me is two eggs, 5 rashers, 2 sausages, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, bread and butter (1/4" thick), tea and biscuits. She managed to get up to 90 kg before I realized she was trying to kill me.

The secret is to wash it down with a good still cider to cut through the fat...????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The target is to lower Thai's salt intake initially by 20% from 3,600 miligrams per day to 2,800.

Then subsequently try and limit intake to 2,000 miligrams daily to meet World Health organization guidelines. 

This is the first time that I see the daily dietary intake of salt indicated in milligrams. Usually, it is grams, eg 3.6 grams.

If milligrams are used to make the large numbers look scary, why not write, for example, 3,600,000 micrograms or 3,600,000,000 nanograms?

Incidentally, the OP does not mention what period is covered by the numbers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Will B Good said:

This will just mean Thais have less disposable income and the government will have more revenue to spend on tanks and APCs.

If they really want to improve health then they need to educate.......what am I thinking!

And they could introduce some legislation that would limit the maximum amount of salt allowed in packaged food, perhaps based on the weight.

And work together with industry to slowly reduce the amount of salt in the foods over the coming years.

• Like 1

Should do a MSG (monosodium glutamate) tax. MSG is salt with glutamate. Tons of it everywhere.

If there is a salt tax, companies will just add more MSG. ????

Edited by ThLT
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I remember when New York imposed a similar tax on sugar. From this report, it appears to have worked.

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/article/101080/the-success-of-the-soft-drinks-sugar-tax/

Thailand already did the sugar tax   hence the Coke original taste less sugar but for me it tastes bad so it worked I  drink much less Coke now due to the less sugar horrible taste  almost like Pepsi with its artificial sweetener taste :bah:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Thailand already did the sugar tax   hence the Coke original taste less sugar but for me it tastes bad so it worked I  drink much less Coke now due to the less sugar horrible taste almost like Pepsi with its artificial sweetener taste :bah:

Yeah, now companies add aspartame instead. Much worse and toxic for health. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mahtin said:

Every single cell and organism in your body is dependent upon minerals. Salt gets this terrible reputation, but it’s because it’s refined salt that has the bad health effects. But unrefined sea salt is just the opposite. It has potassium and calcium and magnesium and a full complement of minerals that your body needs to function properly.

Himalayan pink salt is what we use, or rather I do from Foodland, Mrs uses bags of that white muck. Eating out I always say no sugar or salt, does not always work!

5 hours ago, mahtin said:

Every single cell and organism in your body is dependent upon minerals. Salt gets this terrible reputation, but it’s because it’s refined salt that has the bad health effects. But unrefined sea salt is just the opposite. It has potassium and calcium and magnesium and a full complement of minerals that your body needs to function properly.

This is why it's best to use Pink Salt.....

5 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Himalayan pink salt is what we use, or rather I do from Foodland, Mrs uses bags of that white muck. Eating out I always say no sugar or salt, does not always work!

I did not see your post....lol.....But your right Pink Salt is by far the best...

26 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Yeah, now companies add aspartame instead. Much worse and toxic for health. 

Yea no salt or sugar but no limits on MSG, Aspartame, fluoride, or GMO Soy......

They honestly dont give a rats azz about your health.....At all....

These greedy *******s are always looking for ways to transfer the wealth of nations to themselves and their corporate friends will making life for the 'little people' more and more difficult. 
Next they tax breathing.  Oh... ???? people exhale CO2.  The "Breathing Tax" will be right around the corner.

16 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

That'll go over well with the poverty stricken nation.

I've never run into so many diabetics in my travels. 

Hopefully that tax goes to buy insulin.

Interesting you say that. I know many many Thai who say the "Doctor " said they have "high sugar".

Maybe/probably they do but are they actually diabetic?

3 hours ago, wolf81 said:

And they could introduce some legislation that would limit the maximum amount of salt allowed in packaged food, perhaps based on the weight.

And work together with industry to slowly reduce the amount of salt in the foods over the coming years.

Are you mental?......(joke)

1 hour ago, Nojohndoe said:

Interesting you say that. I know many many Thai who say the "Doctor " said they have "high sugar".

Maybe/probably they do but are they actually diabetic?

The whole family is on my wifes side.

Lots of sugar,salt, and MSG.

Can't complain.  I've been eating lots of Pizza Company lately.

Up north here the vegetables have been looking really bad.

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

Getting too little salt in a warm climate can be fatal, many doctors are criticizing WHO's 2 gram per day recommendation and earlier campaigns for lowering salt.

5-6 gram per day (5.8 gram) is the healthy recommendation, however it's said that many digest more salt than that - up to around 10 gram - and normally men intakes more salt than women.

There is some truth in your story. When i was sailing the high seas and navigating in tropical waters we got 2 salt pills daily. Working in the engine room 8 hours a day with over 40 deg. C and sweating like a horse I felt my body really needed them.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Taxation on such things is a blunt instrument. When you tax the likes of sugar/salt, then usually it's the poor that are being punitively punished as the richer people don't care and will continue to consume regardless.

That's the U.S. way to discourage cigarette smoking.  A pack can cost as much as $14 in some states, I've been told.  Maybe educating them worked, it seems the most visible of those who still smoke cigs drive pickup trucks.

Educating the population to return to more traditional diets, and give up eating synthetic-chemical-laden industrial "food", is the way to go…

Raising taxes is just an easy cop out, giving governments more money to squander

And besides, most of the table-salt sold these days is not real salt.  It has been "purified" by removing all but the sodium chloride (with a bit of iodine then added back), to sell the rest to other industrialists.

Sea-salt (when uncontaminated with micro-plastic particles) contains a balanced mixture of trace elements very close to that of blood serum.  If in doubt, check out the historical uses of "Quinton Water", once upon a time very successfully used in place of blood for transfusions.  You cannot do that with isotonic saline.

Just as governments promote Big Pharma and AgriBusiness, so also they encourage the market for <deleted> food.

And just as an after-thought, why does the government not organise the testing of cooking oils used by street-vendors ?  According to what I have learnt from more than one source, expanded polystyrene is sometimes dissolved in the hot oil.  It causes batter, such as in 'roti', to retain its crispness.  Traces of unpolymerised styrene present are toxic.

Edited by ericbj