is booster vaccine required after two Astrazena jabs?

fvw53

I read that many people who got first a Chinese vaccine and then another vaccine will require a booster vaccine.

I got two Astrazeneca jabs at Bang Sue station (last one on 30 September) : will I also need a booster jab between 4 and 6 months after the last jab?

If yes where can I apply on time (I have my 13 digit ID nr)?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

The Thai government currently does not include people with 2 AZ jabs in their booster eligibility criteria. So definitely NOT required! Hopefully this group which includes me will soon get access. But unknown as yet.

You will have to pay for Moderna then?

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The AZ effect against infection is close to nothing after 4 months

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3949410

Pfizer was shown to wane significantly as well. And that study showed waning was higher in older prople, and that they recommend boosters. In particular, mixing shots, may give longer immunity. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Thai government currently does not include people with 2 AZ jabs in their booster eligibility criteria. So definitely NOT required! Hopefully this group which includes me will soon get access. But unknown as yet.

I took required to mean medically required not Thai government rules. It appears boosters are required/advised out side of Thailand.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You should read my summary of the Swedish study in the post I linked to above... and pay attention to the second chart I included from that study that looks at vaccine effectiveness beyond 6 months in preventing COVID hospitalization and death. The overall value is less than 50% VE that far after original vaccination.

Unfortunately, they don't break out VE against hospitalization and death by individual vaccines, like they do for VE against symptomatic infection. But, the vast majority of participants in their study got Pfizer vaccines, so that should begin to tell you something..

I'm a strong proponent of COVID vaccines. The authors of the Swedish study are also, and say it reinforces the need for booster doses. But the results in that study are a very bad look for the AZ vaccine's effectiveness at 4 months and beyond.

So, do we ignore the real world studies that show it to be a very effective vaccine over many months in the UK then? 

And focus on antibodies, skew the results and declare it bad?

This study likely ignores T-Cell and Memory B cell immunity, which is very robust and durable in the vector vaccines.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

So, do we ignore the real world studies that show it to be a very effective vaccine over many months in the UK then? 

And focus on antibodies, skew the results and declare it bad?

This study likely ignores T-Cell and Memory B cell immunity, which is very robust and durable in the vector vaccines.

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of the Swedish study... But it was done using national government health system data, and authored by academics who argue it bolsters the case for better use of booster shots.

So, I'm not about to dismiss their findings out of hand as some kind of anti-vax charade. And their findings regarding the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines match up pretty well with what's been previously reported for those.

Most of the other vaccine followup research that's been done has been fairly limited in the time spans for tracking cases post vaccination. So I think the Swedish study is looking at vaccine effectiveness results going out for a longer period of time post vaccination.

• Like 1