My wife is applying for British Citizenship

Hi all

Is their anyone else going through the applying for British Citizenship process , We are finding the whole process confusing since when looking for information, i end up finding information that conflicts with each other. 

We have made a online application and then i read that if your applying after a certain date , then fill in a application form

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/997950/form-an-07-21.pdf

If then states all the supporting documents that you need to submit which are the 

The passport issued by Thailand to my wife

proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions which is the Biometric permit

Current Biometric Residence Permit 

certificate proving you have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher

Proof of living in the UK for my wife for  3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen  

Your marriage or civil partnership certificate

Two referee declarations

And my passport

Now when i am watching others filling in their applications on youtube and also i have read , They say , 6 months pay slips,   P60s going back years , Divorce papers , Name change certificates and other documents

Would be great to hear if anyone else has applied on line and also the submitting of documents , My wife has 5 passports covering the time that we have been together, I have scanned every page to PDF for every passport , But worried that once i do the upload , Maybe the files will be to large to send, Their is a payment service that you can pay to get the documents uploaded at £50 ish that i may opt for,  But i need to make sure everything is correct. 

Thank you for any help

Malc 

Firstly, I wish you both luck. My wife and stepdaughter became British around a decade ago. I advise one of you to have a handle on the entire process and oversee it from start to finish. Sounds like that's you. . .

We decided I would be the person overseeing the entire process in the UK. In return, my wife is overseeing the process for my Thai citizenship.

About your questions, it's not really clear exactly what you're asking. It's a long time ago now, my memory of the time is fading and the process may have changed, but we did none of it online. The documents and application I prepared for them, when mailed with registered post, probably weighed a couple of kilos. Everything was in that package, multiple copies and CERTIFIED translations of Thai documents, divorce certificates, birth certificates, grandfather and grandmother birth certificates, CERTIFIED translations of those, copies of name change documentation from first marriage, marriage to me, more translations of those. . .

You basically submit everything they ask for. Too many documents is not a problem. Missing documents = pain, frustration and possibly a failed application and your application fee is lost. The case worker handling the application will probably try to contact you to give you the opportunity to remedy anything missing before failing the application but don't bank on that.

I recall having to get my income certified by my employer at the time because pay slips were electronic. I had to print hard copies and get every one of them certified and stamped by my employer. It took a long time and wore his pen out.

I had to include household bills proving we lived together, rental agreement with both our names showing the joint arrangement, I can't remember which bills but it was probably telephony services etc etc. Also included wife's National Insurance documentation.

Obviously their Indefinite Leave to Remain cards were included.

My stepdaughter was 'registered' British as she was still a child. My wife 'naturalised' British. The difference is that if my stepdaughter ever has kids, they will automatically be British, so she is in effect as British as me and might as well have been born there.

We had a private citizenship ceremony at Northampton Guildhall. Only me, my wife, son and stepdaughter were in attendance. It was a special moment, not only for my wife and stepdaughter, but the finale of a personally very challenging process for me, (juggling the massive input of preparation hours, with my work life). We did it all alone, with no help or pecuniary support from anyone. I'll never forget the moment they took the oath were declared British Citizens. As my stepdaughter was a child, she was exempt from taking the oath, but took it anyway, with her perfect, Richmond-Upon-Thames English accent which she'd learned in just 3 years. I was so proud.

As I said, good luck.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Just a update , Today my wife has been granted British Citizenship and it has only taken 19 working days from her appointment for her finger prints and photo takem.

a big thank you to the Bigyin for helping me with the application.

Good luck to others 

Malc 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1