Visa on arrival

I am a UK national I want to stay in Thailand for about 4months and whilst there,apply for a ‘Retirement “ visa. I believe this is an O visa with extension of stay for 12 months?

I am 71 years old . And already have the 800K baht in a bank in Thailand.

I thought I could enter ‘Visa exempt” and then convert to an O visa,but reading the thai gov website it states that visa exempt entry cannot be extended except in exceptional circumstances,like illness, also the UK citizens do not appear to be eligible?.

I am aware that I could apply for a tourist visa but really wanted to avoid the insurance aspect.

I would be grateful for advice.  My thanks in advance.

My grateful thanks for the reply’s. I did indeed make a mistake….I read the “advice” from TVS global, not the thai embassy itself. 
One further question if I may….. if I come in “visa exempt” for less than 30 days….do I need to buy insurance for this period? 
my thanks for your advice and assistance.   

5 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

One further question if I may….. if I come in “visa exempt” for less than 30 days….do I need to buy insurance for this period?

Yes

The airline can ask to see ticket out of the country with 30 days. It can be a one way ticket to anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...