Arriving by Visa exmpt, what's next?

A German friend of mine will arrive on Dec 7.

He's living in Thailand since years, but his extension of stay (retirement) ran out while he was abroad.

He has his TP, but he could not get the Non-O Visa because at the consulate alle appointments were fully booked until end of the year.

It was mentioned here, there's the option of arriving on Visa exempt (30 days) and then apply at the local Immigration Office. He fullfills the requirements (800k in bank since years, [rented] appartement, health insurance), but it seems not possible to get the 1-year extension straight.

Am I right that he has to apply for a 3 months stay first and later for the 1-year-extension?

If yes, is the 3 months a real visa given by IO or is it a extension with just a shorter runtime?

Is the application form identic to TM7 used for 1.year?

Are there any special requirements for the 3 months except the requirements above?

How many days before the visa exempt runs out he has to apply?

Anyone who did it the "exempt-way" lately and can give reliable advice?

Thank you in advance

Hi ubonjoe.

When I have to apply for my 1-year extension in Jan 22, I will use a fillable TM7 form (.pdf), as I did on my last one bevore Covid. I have a TM8 too, also fillable.

I don't remember where I got these froms, I guess they came from the forum here.

Is such a fillable form also available for TM87 and if, could you provide a download link?

Edited by JustAnotherHun

6 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Is such a fillable form also available for TM87 and if, could you provide a download link?

I have not seen a fillable one. If using Adobe acrobat you can use fill and sign to complete this one.

TM87 Application For Non Immigrant Visa76.15 kB · 649 downloads

You can download this that is in .doc format and use MS Word or some other editor to complete it,

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/31.คำขอรับการตรวจลงตรา-ตม.87.doc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fillable and other forms are in this pinned topic.  Immigration Templates

The TM87 form is not used that often and nobody has bothered to do a fillable PDF for it and it is still available in .doc format on the immigration website.

Immigration only posted PDF files for the new forms when they were announced.

I have used the fill and sign on adobe to complete PDF files.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Is it then a TM7 for the retirement extension?

BTW, I entered Thailand around the 5th of Sept on a 45 day visa excempt. Then 15 days before that ran out I applied for the 90 day visa. Now in two weeks I use the TM7 (800k in bank for 4 years already) to get an extension of 365 days for purposes of retirement.  The immigration office did express vigorously that I MUST apply for Retirement Excemption TM7 at their office ONLY. This was not Jomtien or Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

TiT. There are more different rules than Immigration Offices...

Having to apply for the extension at the same office that issued the non immigrant visa is a standard requirement for all offices

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The fillable and other forms are in this pinned topic.  Immigration Templates

The TM87 form is not used that often and nobody has bothered to do a fillable PDF for it and it is still available in .doc format on the immigration website.

Immigration only posted PDF files for the new forms when they were announced.

I have used the fill and sign on adobe to complete PDF files.

You can get the same functionality of a fillable PDF by downloading the free Adobe Acrobat Reader (google download Adobe Acrobat Reader) if not already installed on your device.  Open the file in Adobe Acrobat Reader and as ubonJoe indicated pick the "Fill & Sign" option on right hand side (you may have to scroll down).  Move the "|Ab" cursor to where you want to type and click then type.  Do the same to the next field you want to type at.  You can save and print the edits you make.  

I will concede the fillable PDF is slightly easier to use but the above method works quite well.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I will concede the fillable PDF is slightly easier to use but the above method works quite well.

i am using one that I completed using fill & sign when the new form came out before the somebody did a fillable one.

When ready to do my extension I just change the date on it and my age and print it out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

i am using one that I completed using fill & sign when the new form came out before the somebody did a fillable one.

When ready to do my extension I just change the date on it and my age and print it out.

Yep, same.  Have my retirement extension application filled out and printed, photo attached.  Just have to put the correct date and sign it.  Same for my re-entry permit application.  ????

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

You can get the same functionality of a fillable PDF by downloading the free Adobe Acrobat Reader

I use Acrobat Reader myself, but I guess it's not easy enough for my friend. His digital skills are "a bit" limited, so I will wait until he arrives, then I play his nanny and do it for him :-).

Thank you all for your help.

• Like 1

Hi,I am in a similar situation as your friend in that my extension to stay has lapsed and I want to enter Thailand on visa exempt.But my question for you or Ubonjoe is if I book a return flight 5 months later will I have any problems entering when I have only a visa exempt which  is only for 30 days?

6 hours ago, billypla said:

.But my question for you or Ubonjoe is if I book a return flight 5 months later will I have any problems entering when I have only a visa exempt which  is only for 30 days?

Well, ubonjoe or DrJack54 are your men for reliable information.

As far as I know, you need a return or onward ticket showing you will leave within the 30 days. Otherwise the airline will likely refuse boarding. 

Due to the Covid-situation, many airlines still offer options to rebook their flights. 

9 hours ago, billypla said:

Hi,I am in a similar situation as your friend in that my extension to stay has lapsed and I want to enter Thailand on visa exempt.But my question for you or Ubonjoe is if I book a return flight 5 months later will I have any problems entering when I have only a visa exempt which  is only for 30 days?

The airline can ask for a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival. It can be a one way ticket to anywhere or a temporary onward ticket you can get online for about $12.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

As far as I know, you need a return or onward ticket showing you will leave within the 30 days. Otherwise the airline will likely refuse boarding

That is correct. Just to be clear...it does NOT need to be return ticket. Any outbound flight is satisfactory.

Here is link to option of rent a ticket. This is just one company.

https://hostelgeeks.com/onwardticket

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2