Positive test inside 90 days - travel

Hi

I should be travelling with the family back to see the in laws in February, I know you have to get a PCR test before you travel but what if you have been infected previously & the PCR test still shows you as positive, my understanding is it can/could do this for 90 days for which I could get a certificate so I guess & assume, no travel in that situation or straight to 14 day quarantine on arrival, am I right?

3 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

I can't comment on how long a previous infection will show on the test, BUT if your test shows positive, you will not be allowed to board the plane. 

That's what I thought, I know you can show a certificate of proof that you've had it before to enter certain countries, I think its called "Proof of Covid Recovery" or something like that, I guess Thailand doesn't recognise it.

The policy in Thailand is to hospitalise you if you test positive. Make sure you've got plenty of money ready just in case.

I doubt they will accept any argument against this so if you test positive you will be sent to hospital for treatment (AKA 'national safety great nation Thailand') immediately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bubbles said:

That's what I thought, I know you can show a certificate of proof that you've had it before to enter certain countries, I think its called "Proof of Covid Recovery" or something like that, I guess Thailand doesn't recognise it.

Yes, in Switzerland you get a Covid certificate two weeks after you recovered from the virus, and the certificate is valid for 180 days and allows you to do the same thing as a certificate for vaccinations.

However... the AIRLINE, which will check your PCR test, will definitely not let you board with a positive test, NO MATTER your certificate.. remember: People who are vaccinated and have a certificate can get sick again, so how can an airline know, why a test is positive or not? They will just NOT let you board the airplane, and personally, I would be very thankful for knowing, that no people with positive tests will be allowed into the same airplane as I am. 

Also remember: Your positive test will not only subject yourself to a 14-day quarantine, but also everybody who did sit around you in the plane.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Yes, in Switzerland you get a Covid certificate two weeks after you recovered from the virus, and the certificate is valid for 180 days and allows you to do the same thing as a certificate for vaccinations.

However... the AIRLINE, which will check your PCR test, will definitely not let you board with a positive test, NO MATTER your certificate.. remember: People who are vaccinated and have a certificate can get sick again, so how can an airline know, why a test is positive or not? They will just NOT let you board the airplane, and personally, I would be very thankful for knowing, that no people with positive tests will be allowed into the same airplane as I am. 

Also remember: Your positive test will not only subject yourself to a 14-day quarantine, but also everybody who did sit around you in the plane.

Oh I get the reasoning, just wondered how or if Thailand recognised it, like I say I didn't think they would, we shall be avoiding others & large groups until February then ????

Edited by bubbles

You are not considered recovered  -- by  any country -- until you have a negative PCR.

It is, however, possible that after testing negative, you still get a positive result on a subsequent PCR (without having been re-infected). This is because there can still be small amounts of viral material present in the body. PCR does not test for live virus, just any viral DNA.  In other words, you are at an elevated risk of a positive PCR in the months following recovery from COVID.

You will not be allowed to board a plane by any airline or for any destination with a positive PCR test, regardless of vaccination status or having a certificate of having recovered from COVID.

And as others have said, if you test PCR positive after arrival in Thailand you will face mandatory hospitalization, they will not try to distinguish between past infection and active infections and they will usually nto do a repeat test for at least 7 days, sometimes 10-14. 

And everyone with close contact with you on plane etc will face a mandatory quarantine.

The more recent your infection was, the greater the chance of a subsequent positive PCR due to residual (dead) viral material.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bubbles said:

I know you can show a certificate of proof that you've had it before to enter certain countries, I think its called "Proof of Covid Recovery" or something like that, I guess Thailand doesn't recognise it.

You can show it in lieu of vaccination in many countries, and in Thailand can show it plus just one vaccination dose. But this is only for vaccination requirement. It has nothing to do with the requirement for a negative PCR test before boarding plane nor (in countries which require it) after arrival.