Update my 2 year Drivers Licence to 5 year?

steevjee

44 minutes ago, steevjee said:

Ok so I watched the 1 hour video and passed the test, downloaded my certificate, what’s next? Do I need to get another medical etc or do I just show up at any Land Transport Office and show my current licences?

Firstly, book an appointment at the local transport office. Ours was shut for 7 months and we got one for 1 month hence as soon as they starting accepting appointments. Very quickly they were fully booked for 6 months. They confirmed the existing 2 year license was still valid even though it had long expired by then.

When your appointment is nearly due:

Get the certificates from your local doctor - one for each form of transport (one for car and one for motorbike for example)

Get the proof of residence from your local immigration office (I got just one certificate that covers both forms of transport). Take a copy and self-certify the copy.

Take a copy of your passport photo page and current visa page and self-certify them (one for each form of transport)

The video/test is valid for a certain amount of time which I don't remember. If you've done this without an appointment, you might need to redo it closer to the appointment time.

Attend the transport office for your appointment. Complete one form for each form of transport, each with a doctor's note, an immigration letter, and a copy of the passport.

Wait for the physical tests (brake reaction test, colored circles test)

Pay your fee, have your photo taken, collect your new 5 year license.

Edited by markwhite

1 hour ago, markwhite said:

Firstly, book an appointment at the local transport office. Ours was shut for 7 months and we got one for 1 month hence as soon as they starting accepting appointments. Very quickly they were fully booked for 6 months. They confirmed the existing 2 year license was still valid even though it had long expired by then.

When your appointment is nearly due:

Get the certificates from your local doctor - one for each form of transport (one for car and one for motorbike for example)

Get the proof of residence from your local immigration office (I got just one certificate that covers both forms of transport). Take a copy and self-certify the copy.

Take a copy of your passport photo page and current visa page and self-certify them (one for each form of transport)

The video/test is valid for a certain amount of time which I don't remember. If you've done this without an appointment, you might need to redo it closer to the appointment time.

Attend the transport office for your appointment. Complete one form for each form of transport, each with a doctor's note, an immigration letter, and a copy of the passport.

Wait for the physical tests (brake reaction test, colored circles test)

Pay your fee, have your photo taken, collect your new 5 year license.

Thanks for your detailed info, much appreciated..BUT…I’ve been back now for only 1 week and I’m planning to get a new Non O retirement visa down the road, as my previous Non OA expired in January, but for now I’m only on a 30 day visa exempt entry..SO..even though I have both licences still valid until Jan29 2022 will they grant me 5 year extensions if I’m not currently on a visa?

1 hour ago, steevjee said:

Thanks for your detailed info, much appreciated..BUT…I’ve been back now for only 1 week and I’m planning to get a new Non O retirement visa down the road, as my previous Non OA expired in January, but for now I’m only on a 30 day visa exempt entry..SO..even though I have both licences still valid until Jan29 2022 will they grant me 5 year extensions if I’m not currently on a visa?

Not sure if this is helpful, today I went with a local friend to Bangkok Chatuchak DLT and updated my DL to my new passport number, renewal was 6 years away didn't want that kind of wait to update it, they wanted copies Passports and Visa, did not ask for rental agreement or COR,  they did motorbike license as well - 110 baht total. 

Edited by CANSIAM

6 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Not sure if this is helpful, today I went with a local friend to Bangkok Chatuchak DLT and updated my DL to my new passport number, renewal was 6 years away didn't want that kind of wait to update it, they wanted copies Passports and Visa, didn't ask for rental agreement or COR,  they did motorbike license as well - 110 baht total. 

Cheers

Actually that might be an angle for me as I also have a new passport, maybe then they might overlook the no visa aspect as I’m still not sure if that’s going to be an issue ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steevjee said:

Cheers

Actually that might be an angle for me as I also have a new passport, maybe then they might overlook the no visa aspect as I’m still not sure if that’s going to be an issue ?

Yes try that angle, take a copy your expired OA, maybe they let it slide, I really don't know, others here may have more concrete info.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steevjee said:

Ok so I watched the 1 hour video and passed the test, downloaded my certificate, what’s next? Do I need to get another medical etc or do I just show up at any Land Transport Office and show my current licences

Yes need another medical and residence certificate

• Like 2

19 hours ago, steevjee said:

No, you will only get a 5 year license if you have either a Non-O (other 3 month or longer visas are OK but not an elite visa) or a 1 year extension from that visa.

all others including the elite visa are classified as tourist visas and will only get a 2 year license.

You have until Jan 29 2023 to renew with no more paperwork or tests than today, though of course if you actually drive after Jan 29 2022 your license will have expired, this will probably mean that any insurance you think you have will be invalid, insurance companies may not check very carefully if the claim is small but will almost certainly refuse coverage for a large claim.

02724E5C-6FE5-4D0C-A80D-C54C9512D484.thumb.jpeg.2135338519f43c0794ae905e0e7cddfc.jpeg

Note. You can use ANY DLT office anywhere in the country so if the first office you try is difficult then go to another. In my area most offices do not require a appointment, though the certification of watching the online film is required.

Also you only need 1 original of all documents even if you are getting 2 licenses. The second license only needs copies if you get them both at the same time, you do need a complete set of copies for the second license.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, steevjee said:

With a visa exempt you will get a 2 year license.

To get a 5 year license you need a non-immigrant visa.

• Like 1

I took a picture. 

I took my wife to speak Thai.

There was no tests or anything, pretty much in and out.

Paid a few baht, I think 100.

Then got my new 5 (6) year liscense.

This is in Salon Nakhon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steevjee said:

Wonderful, I’m touring now so can I just take a note from my current accom?

You need a residence certificate from immigration, what they require to issue it depends on your local immigration office.