Buddhism For Beginners

jingjingna

I am interested in learning about Buddhism so if any of you can recommend a good read for a novice then please 'enlighten me' :o

Also can anyone recommend a good Meditation center in Bangkok or the Eastern seaboard?

Thanks!

No one book will satisfy every beginner. The Buddhist bookshop opposite Wat Bowonniwet has a very good selection. There you might find these titles I happen to like:

A Still Forest Pool: the Teaching of Ajahn Chah at Wat Pah Pong

Things as They Are -- Ajahn Maha Boowa Nyanasampanno

Heartwood from the Bo Tree -- Buddhadasa Bhikku

There are plenty of teaching centres around. The World Fellowship of Buddhists (WFB), at the back of Queen Sirikit Park (next to The Emporium, near Soi 24 Sukhumvit) has regular free talks on Buddhism every Sunday, followed by meditation practice.

BKK's Wat Mahathat is a good place for multiple-day meditation courses, also free. For a list of places along the Eastern Seaboard, see:

http://www.dhammathai.org/e/meditation/page1.php

These include at Wat Asokaram, Wat Wiwek Asom Vipassana, Sorn-Thawee Meditation Centre and Boonkanjanaram Meditation Centre.

If you're the questioning type one of the best English-speaking lay teachers is Ajahn Sujin Borihanwannaket. Her long-running dhamma study group meets weekly in Thonburi (discussions in English every Saturday afternoon 14.00 -16.00 pm, except on the first Saturday of each month). She has been teaching laypeople about Buddhadharma for nearly 50 years and also teaches regularly on Thai radio. Her English is excellent. many of her students are farang.

This link will throw you right into the middle of the Dhamma Study Group's online egroup:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastudygroup/message/755

Or write or call the centre for directions, etc.

Tel: +66 (1) 325-8458 or +66 (2) 861-1082

Email: [email protected]

good luck

I am interested in learning about Buddhism so if any of you can recommend a good read for a novice then please 'enlighten me' :o

For a really broad overview try:

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Buddhist Wisdom (A Complete Introduction to the Principles and Practices of Buddhism) by Gill Farrer-Halls.

On Theravada Buddhism:

The Mind and the Way (Buddhist Reflections on Life) by Ajahn Sumedho.

Ive read all 3 of Phra Peter Panyapatipo's books and they are excellent. His first is "Phra Farang". One is "Step by step" a book on meditation. They are also very amusing. His style is very easy to understand. However, I was hoping to reach enlightment as fast as possible, but alas, Im still stupid.

I was hoping to reach enlightment as fast as possible, but alas, Im still stupid.

"as fast as possible..."

Yes, you have come to the right place.

"Im still stupid"

Me too..to read some of the replies like yours in this forum.. :o

There is a saying "a picture is worth a thousand words". In terms of religion - experience is worth 10,000 words. There is a quote in the Bhavat Gita "To an enlightened man, the scriptures are as useful as a well in an area flooded with water".

I started reading about Buddhism 35 years ago. Quite frankly, none of it made any sense until I had several years of meditation experience. The intellect is too feeble a tool to grasp the concept of the absolute. One second of divine experience is greater that a lifetime studying books.

"Im still stupid"

Me too..to read some of the replies like yours in this forum..  :D

That is the first insult I've noticed in this forum!

And guess who it came from :D

Or almighty Buddhist protector ...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think you should become a jehova's witness Kwiz..... They are pretty mind and book oriented .... :o:D

There is a saying "a picture is worth a thousand words". In terms of religion - experience is worth 10,000 words. There is a quote in the Bhavat Gita "To an enlightened man, the scriptures are as useful as a well in an area flooded with water".

I started reading about Buddhism 35 years ago. Quite frankly, none of it made any sense until I had several years of meditation experience. The intellect is too feeble a tool to grasp the concept of the absolute. One second of divine experience is greater that a lifetime studying books.

Very thru Ghengis...... very thru.

• 1 month later...

The Heart of Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh is a good one. It leans towards Mahayana but it relates everything to everyday life and everyday problems.

He also wrote a good one on mediation called, The Miracle of Mindfulness.

His first is "Phra Farang".

I concur that 'Phra Farang' is an amusing and generally good read. And he did send me a signed copy when I was hospitalized. :o

The Buddha in Your Mirror: Practical Buddhism and the Secret Search for Self

~Woody Hochswender, et al

Independent Publishers Group

Is also an accessibleand practical read: showing how the Buddha nature is in inherent within us all.It also has a very good introduction by veteran jazz musician Herbie Hancock.

You should be able to order it through one of the bookshops

,if not definately via Amazon.

As someone new to Buddhist teachings, I found this book a good starting point.

What Buddhists Believe

Venerable K. Sri Dhammananda Maha Thera

You can read it online at

What Buddhists Believe

It answered many of my initial questions.

Good Luck and

Have a Happy

DeDanan

Very usefull direction thanks for the enlightenment.

Slan

Introduction To The Lotus Sutra~Shinjo Suguro.

For many Buddhists-particularly in the Mahayana tradition-The Lotus Sutra is one of the most important, if not the most important, of sutras in the Buddhist canon. To the beginning student of Buddhism, however, The Lotus Sutra itself often presents a difficult challenge. A guide through the sutra's three component parts is,therefore,particularly welcome.

Offering as it does,a literary analysis with a little of the historical background, this 'introduction' coveys the essence of the sutra in a way that cannot fail but to inspire the reader.It will also deepen ones understanding of Buddha Shakyamuni's compassion and desire to lead all people to enlightenment.

Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"Buddhism" By Christmas Humphries in my opinion is the essenstial starter book. It gives a thorough account on the (legend of the) life of Gutama Buddha, as well as a fairly balanced overview of all the different sects, and also covers the major scriptures. Written in layman's terms by the founder of the Buddhist Society of London, it was what introduced me years ago, and I still read it once and a while.

"Zen" by the same author I'd also recomend.

cv

• 3 weeks later...
"Buddhism" By Christmas Humphries in my opinion is the essenstial starter book. It gives a thorough account on the (legend of the) life of Gutama Buddha, as well as a fairly balanced overview of all the different sects, and also covers the major scriptures. Written in layman's terms by the founder of the Buddhist Society of London, it was what introduced me years ago, and I still read it once and a while.

I notice he's also written one called Concentration and Meditation - have you ever read it?

I notice he's also written one called Concentration and Meditation - have you ever read it?

No, but I have tried a few of his other books. "Zen", "Studies in the Middle Way (highly recomended), and "Wisdom of the Zen Masters".

There was also "Awakening of Zen" that he co-wrote with D.T. Suzuki.

I would recomend them all.

cv

• 1 year later...

I've read most of the Theravadin books mentioned in this thread and they all give a good overview of Buddhism in general. However, for a practical guide on how to start actually meditating, the best I've come across is 'Mindfulness in Plain English" by Ven. Henopala Gunaratana.

It's good to start reading and studying if you have an interest in Buddhism, but at some point you must start to meditate, unless you do so all the reading will remain sterile. Don't get bogged down in theorising, this is the greatest danger. Try not to put off beginning a regular Practice schedule. Any of the recomended books should give you enough info to make a start. Don't make the mistake of thinking you don't have a good enough understanding yet.

Even if you start with only 5 minutes once or twice a day. Then start adding 5 minutes every few days. Once you start a regular Practice, try not to stop it. Too many people I've known go for a while, then give it up, then get back to it, and so on. Aim to be able to sit for an hour comfortably. I know that goal seems like an absurd possibility when first starting out, but don't believe it's not possible.

Try to push on regardless of any obstacles that arise. Attention will keep wandering away again and again, never mind, just keep bringing it back. Don't think in terms of gaining anything. Be gentle, don't beat yourself up, but also be persistent. Earnestness is everything, just start practicing and trust the process, believe me you won't regret it.

with metta

dm

re. Sayadaw Jotica's "snow in summer"

If I'm thinking of the right one, this is a bit 'quirky'. The ven seems very honest and open, he's very frank and his writing style is quite endearing. He seems to be struggling on the Path (but aren't we all???), and certainly has a lot to say, that's for sure.

Reading this book one can't help but be a bit envious of his lifestyle. Sounds as if he is situated in an idyllic forest, with ample solitude and natural beauty.

I've read most of the Theravadin books mentioned in this thread and they all give a good overview of Buddhism in general. However, for a practical guide on how to start actually meditating, the best I've come across is 'Mindfulness in Plain English" by Ven. Henopala Gunaratana.

It's good to start reading and studying if you have an interest in Buddhism, but at some point you must start to meditate, unless you do so all the reading will remain sterile. Don't get bogged down in theorising, this is the greatest danger. Try not to put off beginning a regular Practice schedule. Any of the recomended books should give you enough info to make a start. Don't make the mistake of thinking you don't have a good enough understanding yet.

Even if you start with only 5 minutes once or twice a day. Then start adding 5 minutes every few days. Once you start a regular Practice, try not to stop it. Too many people I've known go for a while, then give it up, then get back to it, and so on. Aim to be able to sit for an hour comfortably. I know that goal seems like an absurd possibility when first starting out, but don't believe it's not possible.

Try to push on regardless of any obstacles that arise. Attention will keep wandering away again and again, never mind, just keep bringing it back. Don't think in terms of gaining anything. Be gentle, don't beat yourself up, but also be persistent. Earnestness is everything, just start practicing and trust the process, believe me you won't regret it.

with metta

dm

re. Sayadaw Jotica's "snow in summer"

If I'm thinking of the right one, this is a bit 'quirky'. The ven seems very honest and open, he's very frank and his writing style is quite endearing. He seems to be struggling on the Path (but aren't we all???), and certainly has a lot to say, that's for sure.

Reading this book one can't help but be a bit envious of his lifestyle. Sounds as if he is situated in an idyllic forest, with ample solitude and natural beauty.

Sounds like the same one. A friend visited Sayadaw U Jotika in Burma about five years ago, in Pyinmana (which since then has become the new capital). He had to go through some kind of gatekeeper and said the sayadaw only agreed to see him because so few foreigners had ever found out where he was - some sort of hermitage outside of town, as I recall. He was very reclusive apparently. U Jotika used to travel to Malaysia to give teachings on occasion. I believe he's now living in California.

Another to try and redress the Theravadian bias.

Introduction to Buddhism, Geshe Kelang Gyatso, Tharpa Publications

I don't want to get into the debate about Geshe Kelsang Gyatso but just to let anyone who's getting interested in Tibetan Buddhism know that Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, New Kadampa and his Shugden sect are not endorsed by His Holiness the Dalai Lama or any other of the main Tibetan leaders or schools. He was expelled from his original monastery and some view his New Kadampa movement as controversial, factional and even harmful.

Have a read of this.

http://www.tibet.com/dholgyal/CTA-book/chapter-5-4.html

Over the last few years I've read up on Buddhism including some of the books you guys mentioned but is there any good books specific to the Buddhist traditions in Thailand. (Sorry if someone already suggested some I didn't read every single post).