Can somebody explain to me what is going on?

Confuscious

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's a calculation based on death risk for the entire population, including kids, etc...

Look at the age group of a lot of AN forum readers (60+), and the odds suddenly get a lot worse.

Look at yesterday's COVID deaths report from the MoPH -- 78% were age 60 and above. Average age of the fatalities -- 71.

1487123756_DeathsNov30.jpg.83221c87273259fc086eaf363ec46ca8.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/456587745959555/?type=3

They would also be people, who can't or won't isolate themselves as I can.  So their risk is irrelevant to mine.  

All comes down to who you believe, what you believe, and making personal choices for your on personal safety.

40 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They would also be people, who can't or won't isolate themselves as I can.  So their risk is irrelevant to mine.  

All comes down to who you believe, what you believe, and making personal choices for your on personal safety.

Sadly, we can't rely on people making the proper choices. Too many head stones now saying "I did my own research ". Your actions have a direct impact on others. Sadly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Sadly, we can't rely on people making the proper choices. Too many head stones now saying "I did my own research ". Your actions have a direct impact on others. Sadly.

Quite the opposite, since I avoid people........period.

Have a nice day = done with this conversation

Be Safe

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

In two very short paragraphs you manage to completely contradict yourself.

Well done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackprince said:

I haven't checked all the responses to this question about the (in)compatibility of covid rules between your home country and the Thai rules.

But the rules in all countries have been in a state of flux for the last 18 months, so I don't think an answer is even possible.

I think the most sensible advice is to limit international travel to the bare minimum for the time being: so many people have found themselves on the wrong side of a border when the rules changed.

You are the 2nd member to answer about the (in)compatibility of Covid rules between countries.

The problem is that I will need to travel to my home country by half next year (no possibility to avoid it) and I risk to get refused my Vaccinations because of the Sinovac.

I can always return to my home country, but I will need to follow a lot of conditions that I would rather avoid at my age.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:57 AM, bluehippie said:

If you don't know, say so, BUT STOP LYING to the people. It has seriously eroded confidence levels and people cannot trust anyone or anything now. Big problem now, just stop all the BS.

Most, if not all, scientists who report via main stream media do state that there is more study that needs to be done. This is not CSI where answers are found in an hour. They have been researching these types of viruses for years and can provide very accurate "predictions". 

Then you have Mike The Pillow Guy, whom some people believe knows more than most others.

Sad really.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 10:41 PM, Scott said:

I am very sorry to hear about your friend and your problems with vaccines.   I can't answer for the administrative and bureaucratic hoops that constitute a 'vaccinated person'.  

Your friend falls on the outer edges of what can happen when a lot of things go wrong.  He also is an indicator of how seriously we have to treat Covid.  Unless he has some underlying condition either identified or unidentified, he should be faring better than he is.  But here's the crux of the problem, as we get older our immune system is simply less responsive to invading pathogens. 

It appears that somewhere in the late 40's it starts to slow down and is significantly less responsive by the 60's.  Over 80, the risk from Covid is VERY high.   At 71, your friend should be able to ward it off.

At the end of the day, a vaccine works by stimulating the immune system to fight the specific proteins targeted in the spike of the Covid virus.  The vaccine tells our body what to produce, but our body has to actually do the producing of the immunity.  

I hope, in spite of the odds, he makes it.  Keep us posted.  

So pleasing to read an accurate intelligent response for a change.

• Like 1

The need to wear masks is not something which required data confirmation. The initial advice when the virus was in its early stages was, as has been stated, just down to a lack of supply and a need to prioritise them for front line health workers. Since then there has been no excuse. masks were known to reduce transmission a century ago during the Spanish Flu.

The anti mask and anti vaccine sentiment now is not based on any science and the proponents should be silenced in the public interest. It's not a matter of free speech. The propaganda for political purposes comes overwhelmingly from the right who see pandemic response failure as key to re-election prospects due to disenchantment with the governments of the day. This is very reminiscent of the period between the world wars not peculiar just to the US.

The comparison between conspiracy theories and propaganda is not coincidental and both are toxic to society now as it was then.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The need to wear masks is not something which required data confirmation. The initial advice when the virus was in its early stages was, as has been stated, just down to a lack of supply and a need to prioritise them for front line health workers. Since then there has been no excuse. masks were known to reduce transmission a century ago during the Spanish Flu.

The anti mask and anti vaccine sentiment now is not based on any science and the proponents should be silenced in the public interest. It's not a matter of free speech as propaganda for political purposes, overwhelmingly from the right who see pandemic response failure as key to re-election prospects due to disenchantment with the governments of the day. This is very reminiscent of the period between the world wars not peculiar just to the US.

The comparison between conspiracy theories and propaganda is not coincidental and both are toxic to society now as it was then.

As the US Surgeon General has said, misinformation is the #1 health issue today.  Sad some feel the need to feed into this.  But congrats to the mods here for dealing with this quickly.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 9:48 PM, Confuscious said:

What is the use of get 3 vaccins when one can stil die from Covid?

Reaction to the virus, or vaccination, is an individual response, something many prefer to ignore.

Statistically, having been vaccinated the chances of becoming seriously ill are greatly reduced, not removed.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Quite. Would anyone tell people not to cover their nose and mouth in a smoke filled room. The big difference is you can see and smell smoke.

Recent tests around air filtration has shown surprising results on how much covid and other stuff lurking in the air in certain locations.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/air-filter-significantly-reduces-presence-of-airborne-sars-cov-2-in-covid-19-wards

• Like 1

I got vaccinated with Sinovac on 17-Aug-2021 and Astra-Zeneca on 10-Sep-2021.
The dates were appointed by the local Maharat hospital and are about 1 month separated.
I went yesterday for my "Booster" shot (Pfizer) but I was told by the nurse that she could not administer this shot as there has to be at least 2 months between the Astra-Zeneca and the Pfizer dose.

Thus, not before 10-Dec-2021.

Go back and tell the nurse that it is now almost three months since your last vaccination, not two months. You qualified for a booster in mid-November.

Why do I even have to write this?

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

What is the use of get 3 vaccins when one can stil die from Covid?

Lowers that chance of Hospital care.

Hopefully less people in an already overwhelmed hospital situation.

Sorry to hear about your vaccine situation.

I'm concerned about getting a booster in a few months myself.

Stay safe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just received an update about my friend and wanted to share it here:

"Dear people, just trying to thank everyone, Neighbor girls, boys, guidance, all family friends and acquaintances. It's good that you get things in the mail or via chat or facebook, but can't answer them all yet, still a little short of energy; Thank you. HX"

• Like 1