Can somebody explain to me what is going on?

Confuscious

15 hours ago, Confuscious said:

What is the use of get 3 vaccins when one can stil die from Covid?

I have indeed heard of cases of fully vaccinated people contracting Covid-19 and dying from secondary complications and not from the virus itself. This is especially the case with immunologically compromised persons. If you are immunocompromised, vaccines offer no guarantees.

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Scientist don't know everything. And it takes time to get more and more knowledge and sometimes the knew knowledge is very different from what was known until then.

And then there are the people and the mass media who just don't want to accept the fact that sometimes people don't know (enough). I.e. the new Covid variant now. Is it more deadly? Will the existing vaccines work? In reality media should just write: Wait a few weeks, until we have more information. But of course that is not what is happening. Everybody is speculating best case based on very few facts. And then people complain that scientist don't know...

Every media site I read says we don't know much right now.  It's going to take a few weeks to figure this out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

This is the only risk factor #s I'm concerned about, from Thailand's #s to worldmeter:

Untitled.png

So you don't care about those ending up with long covid?  Those ending up in the ICU and suffering for weeks?  Not to mention every country in the world admits the number are an under count.  But you already knew that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Understood.  This mostly comes from those who shun MSM sites because they've fallen for the lies by the conspiracy theory websites.  Sad times.  And in the end, it's a big reason this pandemic is dragging on.  Misinformation and those who fall for it.

Yes - and no.

Look i.e. at the UK mass media (MSM). They spread so much misinformation everyday but millions of people consume them everyday.

And I am sure similar media exist all over the world.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Scott said:

There never was an attempt to lie to anyone.  This pandemic started with a novel coronavirus -- one that we knew nothing about.   What little could be predicted had more to do with what we knew about coronaviruses in general, that gave us a little about how they worked.   We also had some knowledge about SARS 1 and MERS.  

Well, I don't know if the things I did read would be classified as a "lack of knowledge" or a "plain lie".

As far as I remember, at the start of this pandemic, the "chief warrior" of the WHO was telling that this virus was not worse as "a common Flu"; wearing face masks was no use; etc.

The Minister of Health in my country (a doctor) took it to the next level and started to claim that this virus was not worse as a common Flu and wearing face masks was silly and of no use.
A few weeks later, when things started to look very bad, she claimed that face masks could help but unfortunatly she destroyed ALL the face masks the country had in stock for cases like this.
But, no panic, she had already ordered a shipment of face masks from a dodgy producer in Turkye.
Unfortunatly, this producer was nothing more than a crook and he disappeared with a lot of public money.
But, no panic, she made a new order at a company in Luxemburg.
After a few weeks and lots of complaints from the public and the hospitals, the masks were delivered ........................... but were declared as "NO USE" by the Public Health Department.

Edited by onthedarkside
misinfo comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Do you know what "a little education is a dangerous thing " means?  

Since you don't care about getting seriously ill or infecting your love ones, assuming you have any,  I suggest the following exercise for you.

Since according to statistics   very few of the deaths are from vaccinated people  remove the 59% of the vaccinated people from your above statistic , then since very few of the deaths are among the very young , remove those also , Unless of course you are very young (chronologically not menially) . Once you do that, come back and tell me what your chances of dying are? 

Oh and to your chance of dying also add all the deaths that would had been if there were no social distancing and other covid mitigation measures.  

You're assuming quite a bit.

That I don't care ... I do, I just don't know anyone (confirmed) who has been infected with covid, let alone died of.  Do now know of, not personally, (friend of friend) 2 dying of, but very old and were on last straw anyway.  So any bug might have done them in.

Take your 59%, and raise to 100%, 200% or 300%, and my risk factor from 0.03% is still less than 0.1% chance of.  I'm still liking my odds.

Yes, social distancing is a good thing, and never implied it wasn't, which I easily practice, since retired, don't need to be around anyone, except when shopping for food.  Which case, they are (assuming vax'd) masked, face shielded, so my exposure risk is even less.  Especially living semi-rural.

I chose to enjoy life, instead of worrying about things that probably won't affect me, and if so, have little chance of dying from.  Not saying it can't happen, but I also ride a motorcycle, taking the necessary precautions....I'm comfortable with.  Not all that someone else would, as shorts, t-shirt & flip flops has been my norm for 40 yrs, while other prefer more protective attire.  Same same, not a whole lot different.  And my social distancing, keeps both of us safe, same as my defensive driving has done for 40 yrs.

• Confused 1