Opinion: TV or STV ?

In the beginning I was in firm support of the 90 day STV.  Then I looked into extensions.... 90 days x2, great, but need to show the not so cheap insurance and you're not qualified to apply for the covid extension (if available).  Applying for it is more sticky and problematic.

TV cheaper initial insurance and not required for extension.  Applying easier.

If new strains of Covid keep borders relatively closed for visa runs then i guess the

Thai Covid extensions might continue.  If borders slowly open then other options are there.  Then again, if borders stay closed and Thai authorities clamp down on covid extensions then the STV is the best way for mid to long term tourists.

Please fill me in on the good and the bad.

Think that's a very good summary.

The spanner in the works is the recent evidence of "clampdown" at CW regarding covid extensions where some requests of outbound flight. Think Hua Hin and others have indicated a shift also?

It's a hard one...given this new variant one would think that land border might even take longer to open. Having said that you would only need one to open and a border bounce would (with extension give 2 months) 

Without this change of attitude by immigration towards covid extensions, a TV + 30 day extension perhaps a better option than the STV. 

Hopefully someone currently on STV can update their experience.

If someone can defer their trip then a better picture may emerge.

Personally I was hoping to have quick trip back to Oz however given current situation, would not dream of it. 

Words from OP.....

"Then again, if borders stay closed and Thai authorities clamp down on covid extensions then the STV is the best way for mid to long term tourists."

The word that sticks out to me is "TOURISTS".......I just don't see why a tourist would even bother. Folk with close ties, that's different.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

I got the STV last winter. Cumbersome and expensive. This year I chose a multi entry tourist visa, gambling that it would be possible to do a border run or take a flight for a short visit to another country. I want to stay a total of five months.

I didn't consider the covid extension as I figured that they would stop offering that before I could use it. But it seems that you are right, if a border run is not possible, the covid extension is.

5 minutes ago, farang51 said:

But it seems that you are right, if a border run is not possible, the covid extension is.

True. 

Many (myself included) just thought that covid extensions would continue until at least one + borders would be open.

The recent funny games that CW have been pulling requiring outbound flight for covid extension creates confusion and worry. 

24 minutes ago, Thjames said:

"TV cheaper initial insurance and not required for extension.  Applying easier."

Can anyone confirm with experience at IMM that insurance is NOT required with a TV extension?

TV extension does not require insurance. No personal experience.

With a STV you could leave Thailand and return with a re-entry permit which would permit you to enter / stay until the last permission to stay date.  And you could then apply for another 90 day extension if you haven't already received 2.  Is that correct?  I think it's pretty simple but my head is slightly confused by all the other details.

3 hours ago, Lucksack said:

The Royal Thai consulate in my country (Canada) has suspended multiple entry TV's.  Single entry only.  FYI.  Check if your country is the same.  

That be on their website but you need to check the e visa site since a METV is shown on it.

Most embassies and official consulates have started doing them again.