SMS to Thai prepaid mobile numbers - will they be received in other countries?

Abner D

^^^ Correct, sir. I've received OTPs in Canada. When putting the Thai SIM into your phone, your phone will auto connect to a local provider with a partner agreement. It sometimes takes a couple of minutes to do all the electronic handshaking. Oh, and not all local providers may link to your SIM. You may have to go to the cellular settings and select another local provider.

My tip-off the connect works is when I receive a roaming SMS from DTAC.  My Kbank OTPs come surprisingly quick after I initiate a transaction.

• Like 1

I have a POST Paid AIS and roaming is activated, I think its only 20 baht per month, I never use DATA or calls plan its only for receiving SMS

also check if you have coverage in your country for AIS-DTAC_TRUE etc 

4 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Make sure your mobile is topped up so It lasts 12 months. I top my mobile up from my Bangkok Bank internet banking so is never to lose the service.

I use Ding very successfully - I have used my UK PayPal and also a MasterCard at different times.

Edited by VBF

18 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

You will need to enable international roaming first for your Thai SIM. You can check with the TRUE/AIS/DTAC shops whether your Thai SIM has international roaming enabled or not. Once the roaming is enabled, you can receive SMS on your Thai SIM abroad. 

Can the Thai cell phone services be set to allow wifi calling, so that you could receive bank codes etc. without a cell connection as long as you are connected to wifi?  

I have a True Sim in a old Pixel 2. When in the States I use it for the OTP code that I get from KBank.  The True Sim connects up to ATT network.  I make sure I top up the phone before leaving BKK for the States.  But I use one of those True Top up machines. For each 10 bt coin I get 30 days added.  I use to top up via my KBank account until a True person suggested what I just wrote.  Longer time added.

12 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Can the Thai cell phone services be set to allow wifi calling, so that you could receive bank codes etc. without a cell connection as long as you are connected to wifi?  

I use the "DTAC Call" app with my DTAC SIM when I'm abroad - it allows me to send and receive both voice calls and SMS over the internet instead of using a cell connection, at the same cost as if I were in Thailand. According to their website, it can be used with both prepaid and postpaid DTAC numbers. I don't know whether the other phone companies have something comparable or not.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2021 at 11:10 PM, sanmyintmaung said:

You will need to enable international roaming first for your Thai SIM. You can check with the TRUE/AIS/DTAC shops whether your Thai SIM has international roaming enabled or not. Once the roaming is enabled, you can receive SMS on your Thai SIM abroad. 

Sorry your wrong. You don't need roaming activated with AIS to receive text messages. I'm here in Greenland and I get text messages from my Kasikorn, Aetna etc and my roaming is turned off.   

• Thanks 1

You will get the SMS if you use AIS, DTAC or True.

If you didn't activate international roaming,  you may still get them if you are lucky. But it can happen that you don't get them if roaming isn't activated. 

You will not get the SMS if you use old TOT numbers. 

About CAT and the new TOT numbers (after TOT was merged with CAT), I don't know. 

22 hours ago, misterphil said:

Ding is very expensive compared to topping up from a Thai bank to a Thai phone account. 

Not that expensive.... my most recent top-up was:

"20-10-21 Sent 10 Baht via PayPal using xxxxx card (£0.24)"

Doing that 6 times extended my phone's validity by 6 months, for £1.44 whereas using my SCB account I'd have to send a minimum of 50 Baht each time and each one would only extend it by a month.

Edited by VBF

22 hours ago, misterphil said:

Yes, no problem at all. I'm in Greenland and I'm receiving texts from my Kasikorn and Aetna.   If you want data you'll need to activate roaming and buy a package from the AIS app. 

Are you absolutely sure?

There is a difference between Call Roaming, which includes SMS and Data Roaming.

I'm not calling you a liar but your responses do confuse me, hence the question.

On 12/4/2021 at 3:27 AM, srowndedbyh2o said:

Yes, I once received OTP on AIS SIM using wifi calling with in-flight wifi. No chances of getting cell connection as the plane is in mid-flight but still received OTP through in-flight wifi. 

• Thanks 1