Internet issue, need urgently a solution

rustinorman

My ISP will terminate internet service for non-corporate customers by end of December.  I'm currently receiving the internet signal over the phone (old copper line). For some reasons I can't switch to another ISP.

In future I must use  WiFi router with a sim card slot as hotspot. The router must be connected to a power outlet. A battery router is useless for my needs.

I know that DTAC sells 10mb unlimited internet sim cards, valid 1 year at a very reasonable price.

I'm working with an Apple computer.

What router/sim card provider do you recommend? Are other solutions available?

Your advise is very much appreciated.

Just something like this.. Not this one maybe.. Do a lazada search on it.. There are many to choose from.. Contact your local computer shop or phone shop or something... They will know.

https://shopee.co.th/เร้าเตอร์-TP-LINK-TD-W8970-แอร์การ์ด-7.2M-ใส่ซิมใช้งานได้เลย-i.16045554.6815265568?sp_atk=f24b7055-ba2e-4e3c-a500-df442ea4f5e3

Point is.. You can buy probably any router, but you need a sim data card for thailand. Or at least it would be least expensive.

• Like 1

No real knowledge of their SIM routers but this company has a range.

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-xe300/

I do own one of their routers, they are really fully functional despite their size and cost - you can check out reviews on YouTube to get an idea of what people say about all of their range to get an idea.

• Like 1

Who is your current ISP?

What reasons have been given for not being able to change?

Are you in a house or a condo?

Location?

A wired solution would normally be rather better than using your phone, we get unlimited 1Gbs fibre download for 749 Baht (ToT).

54 minutes ago, recom273 said:

No real knowledge of their SIM routers but this company has a range.

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-xe300/

I do own one of their routers, they are really fully functional despite their size and cost - you can check out reviews on YouTube to get an idea of what people say about all of their range to get an idea.

Many thanks for your post, I am looking for internet for my Son's apartment as they will not allow fibre cable installation. I think this is the way forward. I am guessing you use a sim card with it.

33 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Many thanks for your post, I am looking for internet for my Son's apartment as they will not allow fibre cable installation. I think this is the way forward. I am guessing you use a sim card with it.

Yes, that range are all sim routers. I was looking through their range, this one looks more use in the home - https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-x750/

You can see that some are designed for travel and some are more for industrial / agricultural settings - these guys know their stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmmm...not really as simplistic as suggested. First thing that you need to do it to test a normal SIM at the location; perhaps using a Smartphone.

No good buying a SIM with a 10 Mbps package, only to discover that only 2 Mbps is available with that network at that particular location.

If you want to go with DTAC, then first buy a normal DTAC SIM without any packages and run a speed test at the apartment. 

If speeds are 10 Mbps or more, then you can go with a 10 Mbps or 20 Mbps pack. If not, you can consider testing another network's SIM.

The router is another question entirely.

• Like 2

If you only need one PC or laptop active at a time why not just buy a cheap used iPhone (likely you’ve already got one in a drawer), put the data SIM card in that and tether it to PC or laptop via a USB cable, set up HotSpot on the iPhone in a couple of clicks?

Good for 2 or 3 mb/second depending on your coverage area.

Multiple devices? Check out Connectify software which allows your PC or laptop to act as a wifi router to share the hotspot with other devices.

Hi, I use my phone as a router and wireless connection to my lap-top. My provider of internet is AIS with no limits. It cost me less than 500 baht per month and I am living in the middle of nowhere. No problem with connection wherever I am. I am working through my lap-top. Normally I am connected to internet 10 - 12 hours a day. I also use it with a VPN (Cyberghost) to see movies from my home country and no problems with that either.

1 hour ago, millymoopoo said:

We've a TP link MR6400, works a treat, good range and as fast as your SIM can provide.

Very easy to set up and connect.

Recommended.

Not altogether true. Without the ability to utilise Carrier Aggregation, it cannot be as fast as the SIM is capable.

What's the best mobile data package for emergency use (pre-pay for the year)? 

3BB is pretty reliable, but sometimes has its moments. Usually I jump a tethered connection on my iPhone but I find it overheats after 30 minutes or so and I start getting connection issues, this is always enough time to run and get my wife's one plus, which provides a really stable connection.

It always happens when i'm working, so I think I will buy the router that I suggested above but what's the best sim for occasional emergency use and where to buy it? Any provider has a good service, but we use AIS out here without any issues.

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Concentrate on the SIM first; the router afterwards. 

Currently all networks offer unlimited up to 20 Mbps packs. But first you need to check who can actually supply those speeds at your particular location.

Secondly, networks utilise Carrier Aggregation to boost the speeds available. Some devices don't use it, so will never be able to achieve those speeds.

Buying a device capable of CA will increase your chances of higher speeds. But the device has to be capable of using the bands that the network utilises. Hence deciding on the SIM first and then buying a SIM router to suit.

For example; AIS utilises Carrier Aggregation on Bands 1 & 3, also on Bands 1, 3 & 8. So if your device is capable of 3CA or 2CA on those particular bands, you have the possibility for higher speeds.

DTAC also utilises Band 1 & 3. Though they also have a few chunks of Band 40 and use that on 2CA and 3CA. 

Truemove-H on B1+3, B1+B8 and B1+B3+B8. Again 2CA or 3CA available.

How do you know if a device supports it? It will state either 4G+ or 2CA/3CA.

The least expensive SIM router that I've found with at least 2CA ability is https://www.tendacn.com/product/4g09.html

4G FDD LTE:B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20/B28AB;

4G TDD-LTE:Band38/Band40;

3G WCDMA:B1/B2/B5/B8

https://shopee.co.th/Tenda-4G09-เราเตอร์ใส่ซิม-AC1200-Wireless-Dual-Band-4G-CAT6-Router-Wifi-รองรับ-4G-ทุกเครือข่าย-รองรับ-2CA-i.91130749.6237349844

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tenda-4g09-ac1200-4g-cat6-router-wifi-4g-2ca-wireless-dual-band-i1140998609-s2650066767.html

Edited by Bruno123
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, recom273 said:

3BB is pretty reliable, but sometimes has its moments. Usually I jump a tethered connection on my iPhone but I find it overheats after 30 minutes or so and I start getting connection issues, this is always enough time to run and get my wife's one plus, which provides a really stable connection.

It always happens when i'm working, so I think I will buy the router that I suggested above but what's the best sim for occasional emergency use and where to buy it? Any provider has a good service, but we use AIS out here without any issues.

Read my post, above this one, before proceeding.

28 minutes ago, recom273 said:

If you are happy with AIS; then their 100 GB per month capped at 10 Mbps Marathon pack for 1500 baht might suit you.

Alternatively if you have NT Wireless(TOT) coverage at your place(no high rises usually); https://totwirelessnet.com/Promotion/index

They have an unlimited volume of their Max speed @ 999 baht for the year. Your device will need to be capable of utilising Band 40. The router above is capable; but we don't know if there is coverage in your area.

https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1-ปี-nt-wireless-net-Thunder-999-i.235326805.3979061813

Unless you live in some incredibly remote part of the country it seems unlikely there's no ISP's that can provide you service.  You've contacted True, AIS, 3BB, TOT, CAT and KSC and they all said "no"?

• Confused 1

On 12/4/2021 at 7:03 AM, rustinorman said:

My ISP will terminate internet service for non-corporate customers by end of December.  I'm currently receiving the internet signal over the phone (old copper line). For some reasons I can't switch to another ISP.

I was under the impression that internet providers had stopped providing new ADSL contracts some time ago which maybe why you can't just get another ISP with what you have.

You should look to a new fiber installation, that requires a different cable being installed but you would need to check if available. Only came to our area a couple of years ago.

If fiber is not an option then it will be a case of a sim based arrangement.

On 12/4/2021 at 6:25 PM, Bruno123 said:

Not altogether true. Without the ability to utilise Carrier Aggregation, it cannot be as fast as the SIM is capable.

Splitting hairs really.!

OK so I should have said  'and "almost" as fast as your SIM can provide.'

But realistically who's going to notice the difference and how.?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

Splitting hairs really.!

OK so I should have said  'and "almost" as fast as your SIM can provide.'

But realistically who's going to notice the difference and how.?

It's clear that you don't have any idea and are just throwing mud at the wall; hoping it will stick.

It's not "almost"; not even close:

Let's say you can get 20 Mbps per band. In simple terms, with 3CA, you can get three times more. So 20 Mbps to 60 Mbps. 

So people downloading/uploading large files, sharing a connection with the family, streaming 4k media.

Most people are utilising Carrier Aggregation on their phones without even realising it. It is more rare on 4G Routers.

If you don't know; then say you don't know, rather than choosing to mislead.

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

It's clear that you don't have any idea and are just throwing mud at the wall; hoping it will stick.

So why choose to throw mud pointlessly.?

Maybe you delight in it.?

Had you bothered to read the device I mentioned TP link MR6400 is a cat6 4g device capable of carrier aggregation.

And what, do we not talk about the provider (telco) limitations, or the limitations caused by the traffic, or the distance from the tower.?

And who really cares anyhow, all the OP wants is a device to connect to the 4g network, a little more permanent than using their phones hotspot all the time.!

Most just want the internet to work and are not interested an how or why.!

End of.!

• Like 1

Had you bothered to read the device I mentioned TP link MR6400 is a cat6 4g device capable of carrier aggregation.

And what, do we not talk about the provider (telco) limitations, or the limitations caused by the traffic, or the distance from the tower.?

And who really cares anyhow, all the OP wants is a device to connect to the 4g network, a little more permanent than using their phones hotspot all the time.!

End of.!

It's you whom is throwing mud and throwing guesses out there as fact. Pity the sad people reading your posts and thinking that you are right.

MR-6400 is CAT-4 and not capable of CA. Not only is it not capable of CA; but the stock firmware doesn't allow you to choose any Band at all. The only way to choose even single bands is to apply their Beta firmware.

You really should stop; you are just making yourself look unreliable and silly. Stop making things up and getting poor recom273 to agree with you; thinking somehow you posts have even a modicum of truth in them. It's sad. Stop trying to make a fool out of him and Trolling this thread with your misinformation.

4G: FDD-LTE Cat4 (800/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz),
TDD-LTE (2300/2500/2600 MHz)
3G: DC-HSPA+/HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS (900/2100 MHz)

• Like 1

End of.!

My aim is true. No need for wild guesses and Trolling posts.

Even your description of the OP's needs is just made up nonsense.

His needs are clearly for a permanent and unlimited data connection; ruling out even battery operated Hotspots.

So a landline/Fibre replacement; rather than your attempt at gaslighting.

Yes we can talk about the provider limitations; which is why I mentioned to buy a SIM card and test it in the smartphone firstly. Smartphones are more likely to support CA.

Once decided on the network; one can buy a router to match.

No matter how much you choose to babble and obfuscate and to pretend that you know something; CA will offer higher speeds. For instance; where I am I have a strong signal for both Band 1 & Band 3. If my router was capable of CA and I had a full speed pack, I could expect much higher speeds; perhaps double.

Same with DTAC or Truemove H. Without CA, you will not see those speeds. You'll be limited to a single band at a time and with your router; you won't even be able to choose.

You are right; most people don't need to know how it works. That is why it is so important that we don't get people posting false information as fact and then gaslighting instead of admitting that they didn't know what they were writing about and furthermore, posting outright lies about the router being a CAT-6 device.

There is nowhere you will find such information and as such, you just made it up and posted it here; fooling poor recom273.

They need good advice in so they can have confidence to purchase any possible recommendations. Advice should not be given on the basis of lies in order to save face.

You got it wrong; leave it at that.

Some people here would rather die that admit they got it wrong. Seems you are now included on that list.

Back to the OP; if, for instance the OP can use the NT Wireless SIM based service; 999 baht for twelve months of full speed up to 100 Mbps data; CA will allow him to receive much higher speeds.

So always better to have the option.

MR-6400 is CAT-4 and, as an aside, doesn't offer 5 GHz wireless connection nor allow you to add your paid for VPN details within.

Also note that the OP stated that they were 'working' on a MAC. So it doesn't sound like someone who is looking at a casual connection. This is clearly a full replacement for land based Internet.

Test network SIM for available speeds and signal strength in the first instance and then buy the best router to exploit that network.

Offer sensible advice as opposed to making things up on the fly.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

It's you whom is throwing mud and throwing guesses out there as fact. Pity the sad people reading your posts and thinking that you are right.

MR-6400 is CAT-4 and not capable of CA. Not only is it not capable of CA; but the stock firmware doesn't allow you to choose any Band at all. The only way to choose even single bands is to apply their Beta firmware.

You really should stop; you are just making yourself look unreliable and silly. Stop making things up and getting poor recom273 to agree with you; thinking somehow you posts have even a modicum of truth in them. It's sad. Stop trying to make a fool out of him and Trolling this thread with your misinformation.

4G: FDD-LTE Cat4 (800/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz),
TDD-LTE (2300/2500/2600 MHz)
3G: DC-HSPA+/HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS (900/2100 MHz)

Oh my, some people take things a little too seriously.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with demonstrating your knowledge but why not just make your suggestion, let people do their own research and make their own minds up?