Insurance requirement for Elite Visa only applies when re-entering but not when extending annually?

I saw a website marketing the Elite Visa which indicated that $50,000 of insurance coverage is required for the visa. Elsewhere, I've seen it claimed that this requirement only applies when entering Thailand. So there are three scenarios that are unclear:

1) Someone has an Elite Visa, exits Thailand, and re-enters. Is the only insurance requirement currently the special Covid-related travel insurance requirement, and does this requirement have a coverage length less than the one year of stay that gets activated upon entering Thailand with a preexisting Elite Visa?

2) Someone obtains an Elite Visa while already inside Thailand at the Immigration Office. Will they be forced to show that they have insurance?

3) Someone goes to the Immigration Office to pay the 1,900 baht extension fee to activate another year of stay on their Elite Visa. Will they be forced to have insurance?

Does anyone know for sure about which these three scenarios cause us to be forced to purchase health insurance vs. which ones don't?

18 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

I extended my elite on the 30 September at CW. No insurance requirement then.

It seems maybe this rule about insurance was created after you extended? Thread about it is from November:

6 minutes ago, wml22 said:

It seems maybe this rule about insurance was created after you extended? Thread about it is from November:

The $50,000 insurance is only required for entry and to get a Thailand pass.

Immigration does not require it for extensions of stay.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I have an Elite visa. Entering the country does presently require 50k Covid insurance but I have not heard reports of Insurance requirements for Elite extension yet. I bought 30 days of Covid insurance to enter on the Thailand Pass and received a 1 year stamp from immigration upon entry. Other than the website where I uploaded it to obtain my Thailand Pass QR code no one has checked my insurance since.

Assume that you did not have an outbound ticket.

Just purchased 30 day insurance and stamped in for one year? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Assume that you did not have an outbound ticket.

Just purchased 30 day insurance and stamped in for one year? 

I bought a one way ticket from JFK to BKK AND a cheap outbound ticket to Singapore dated 30 days from my arrival just in case. I was not asked for it at any point in my journey. If I were to do it again I would buy a cheap ticket again since I have been asked in the past at my point of origin or along transit points for proof of onward travel even though officially it isn't required with the Elite visa. I would not take my experience as a template for success since custom officials' scrutiny can vary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for these replies. Entering the country on a marriage visa also requires the 50k insurance for Covid, right, so there's actually no difference between the insurance requirements for entering on an Elite Visa versus entering on a marriage visa?

17 minutes ago, wml22 said:

Thanks for these replies. Entering the country on a marriage visa also requires the 50k insurance for Covid, right, so there's actually no difference between the insurance requirements for entering on an Elite Visa versus entering on a marriage visa?

If is the same for all entries to the country for the covid 19 insurance. What type of visa or extensions you have makes no difference.

• Like 1