Soi Nana bars deserted: Thai media doing everything to link and blame Omicron for nighttime woes

webfact

15 hours ago, sambum said:

I saw a post on here a few weeks/months back where a "well respected" man in the medical profession was saying that families shouldn't talk at meal times! Also, a little bit later it was announced that live music would be allowed in restaurants - up to a maximum of 5 musicians and they all had to wear masks except the singer! I guess the Beach Boys or the Eagles would have a hard time getting their harmonies across!!!

You forgot The Byrds.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems some gogo bars now pretend to be restaurants. And I have to admit if enough restaurants with enough pretty girls would open in Nana Plaza then many it could be interesting.

I posted the picture to give others an idea what is going on there just in case anybody thought about going there to find out what is going on.

i've been to the 'new nana plaza' twice now.  thurs and sat night.  every seat was taken on thurs and they opened up the middle bar area for saturday to allow more space.  it is lollipop and twister bkk that are open in the front only.  they've got a live band going, acoustic style and not too loud.  plenty of ladies there but most are already with 'dates'.  the restaurant piece is the taco truck in the nana hotel parking lot.  i used to eat there all the time so glad to see it is back.  menus inside the plaza and they deliver the food to you.  beers 100thb.  not a bad spot for beer/music/people watching.  i'd rather be in the plaza than inside big dogs or morning night.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Daily life is back to normal. That is what I meant, as you well know. Don't you have a wife to pick a fight with?

You may be happy with the penalty attached to what you call normal daily life but I know many that are not.

You should also remember your version of "normal" does not cover all the Disunited Kingdom.

If all the people who rant and rave about covid would have gotten the vaccines when they first became available the number of hospitalizations and deaths would be exponentially less along with the economic chaos around the world.  But millions refuse to take the vaccines in spite of overwhelming evidence that they provide a high level of protection from serious disease and death.  Whining about masks and the media will not change that fact.

• Like 1

New measures to 'protect' the gullible will be re introduced in UK. I'm sure.  

Back to Thailand and military is all about control and subversion.  Convid is the prefect excuse. 

We are due back in August to see family and friends but I really don't think we are going to enjoy it as a lot has changed for the worse in the 4 years since we last went.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Back to normal?

Try looking at the NHS waiting lists or book a doctor's appointment.

People are dying while they wait and it is not from covid.

I think the poster meant everyday living as "back to normal", and I get your point re the NHS. However, without getting into a political discussion,  the NHS was in trouble with extended waiting lists long before Covid reared its ugly head. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

You may be happy with the penalty attached to what you call normal daily life but I know many that are not.

You should also remember your version of "normal" does not cover all the Disunited Kingdom.

I presume you are talking about "North of The Wall"?

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The Beatles with the possible exception of Paul McCartney, are nowhere near as good as any of the three bands mentioned.

Got to disagree with you on that one, I'm afraid! (Apart from the fact that only one band is still in existence, so a true comparison can not be made!) Having played in a "harmony band" for many years, I can vouch for the fact that some of the Beatles harmonies were unbelievably complex - especially for the time, and one has to give some credit to George for that. John and Paul got their inspiration from the Everlies, but where was George's from? (Not Harry Krishna I can assure you! Possibly George Martin had something to do with it?)  However, we are going off topic, but I would be happy to share my opinions with you on another day/thread! 

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2021 at 5:48 PM, pomchop said:

and the soi 7 beergarden has been torn down and redeveloped for decades...according to rumours...yet it is still there...pretty much same same with some different girls

One of my old haunts, I'd heard the rumours. Wondering if it has managed to survive? I believe the local constabulary have an 'interest' in it.

On 12/4/2021 at 11:06 AM, it is what it is said:

that would be a move in the right direction, thailand really needs to move away from its reliance on sex tourism (something it truely is the hub for). sex tourism damages its reputation abroad and damages the lives of the workers involved.

I've long thought that many Thais would like that too.

23 hours ago, sambum said:

I think the poster meant everyday living as "back to normal", and I get your point re the NHS. However, without getting into a political discussion,  the NHS was in trouble with extended waiting lists long before Covid reared its ugly head. 

Quite right, but will be a long time before they get back to the "normal" extended waiting lists.

I am not long back from being in the UK. When I went to the doctors I had to stand outside the door in the rain and talk to the receptionist through an intercom, hardly normal.

North of the border is still the UK unfortunately, masks were compulsory in most places, no alcohol on trains, only a few allowed in small shops at a time with people having to wait outside in the rain, hardly normal.

In England many have to take a test before going to work or attend an event, the recent changes reinforce the fact that nobody can say everyday living has gone back to normal.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Quite right, but will be a long time before they get back to the "normal" extended waiting lists.

I am not long back from being in the UK. When I went to the doctors I had to stand outside the door in the rain and talk to the receptionist through an intercom, hardly normal.

North of the border is still the UK unfortunately, masks were compulsory in most places, no alcohol on trains, only a few allowed in small shops at a time with people having to wait outside in the rain, hardly normal.

In England many have to take a test before going to work or attend an event, the recent changes reinforce the fact that nobody can say everyday living has gone back to normal.

I think the expression used was "pretty much back to normal", which in my book means not completely back to normal, or in your book not back to normal at all - is your "wee dram" half full or half empty"?

On 12/4/2021 at 3:21 PM, kiwikeith said:

If you want to look up the official figures you’re going to find countries with the highest vaccination rates are experiencing huge spikes  in infection 

Israel, Germany, Netherlands,England etc.

my wife's niece is a Dr in Bangkok. she said if a patient with an underlying disease dies of Covid, the cause of death is recorded as the underlying disease. that's done to downplay the numbers

On 12/4/2021 at 9:21 PM, kiwikeith said:

If you want to look up the official figures you’re going to find countries with the highest vaccination rates are experiencing huge spikes  in infection 

Israel, Germany, Netherlands,England etc.

That is because many ( near all ) was completely let loose , 100% including discos , including masks , ... . They counted completely that the vaccine will solve all and also wait very long time to get some rules back . Checking the amount of infections vs the amount of hospitalizations is much lower then previous waves ( relatively , since same hospital numbers but more infections ) and also less deaths . Also many in hospitals are unvaxxed persons . Main reason now for infections are clearly schools but as far as i know , nobody want to go back to closing them .

There is no 100% solution , unfortunate , being vaccinated is the thing you can do yourself in order to keep you out of hospital if you get it ( and also spread less ) , but the other measures are needed also to keep the spread under control , meaning masks , open air as much as possible ( sorry disco's , but putting 100s of people together in a closed room is not the best solution for keeping the spread under control) , keep distance if possible .

On 12/5/2021 at 4:34 PM, possum1931 said:

The Beatles with the possible exception of Paul McCartney, are nowhere near as good as any of the three bands mentioned.

McCartney's greatness is really showcased in the new documentary just out. Check out this clip of him creating "Get Back" out of thin air while waiting for Lennon to show up.... 

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

McCartney's greatness is really showcased in the new documentary just out. Check out this clip of him creating "Get Back" out of thin air while waiting for Lennon to show up.... 

Lennon and McCartney have composed many great song and also a few not so great ones, and Get Back is one of the worst songs I have ever heard, what a dreadful melody.

• Haha 1