Can Thailand become a digital nomad hub?

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

By nature nomads should not want to own a condo

There are many different types of digital nomads. Some need a base (or multiple) somewhere, but travel extensively. In some places they use storage lockers, but an attractively priced and secure condo works much better for others. I had a condo in a place where I could keep my servers located that gave me a solid VPN connection for getting around geoblocking. Others I have known over the years had companies in places they did not want to live, so they used a condo here as their official residence. 

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

Same as for everyone else. As you say, they are unlikely to change the tax code for a few foreigners, but any visa if they do comeout with one has to fit that code - I believe that was a stumbling block to offering tax breaks as originally planned for the 4 new "Rich people" visas.

That said, Thailand may have to change its laws once it joins international tax reporting.

Thailand shares tax information with numerous countries due DTAs, sharing tax information is the basis for a DTA. The Thai tax-man - which in real life are a pair of polite ladies - might show up with information about income from one's fhome country's tax department, to check if tax have been duly paid; I talk from experience, so does several of my country fellows living here. If you live here, don't be surprised to get a visit from the taxman, even you are not registered for income tax.

As with any visa and extension of stay based both the entry visa and condition for extension, it has all the time been depending of changes, and it has worked quite well so for many years.

My initial comment was my opinion of a solution for having numerous both digital nomads and remote workers to spend time or settle in Thailand, and both spend money and pay income tax, by making simple rules that are not to distant from the present rules in use. Aiming for high educated digital nomads and remote workers in a relative high income level - as it has been mentioned before - will in my opinion not be likely to get the wishful million of arrivals. That said, I need to mention the joker, I have idea if there could be a million Chinese coming that fulfill all the high level demands...????

Edited by khunPer

What does it take to be a "digital nomad hub"?

Does it include lots of people in coffee shops sitting there with their notebooks in front of them and buying a coffee every two hours?

I find it annoying when I go to my favorite coffee shop to drink an espresso or two and most places are filled up with above kind of people. Until now I was lucky enough that I always got a place to sit. But I wonder how I will react when next time I go there and all places are occupied with people with computers and empty coffee cups.

Just for that reason I hope Thailand won't be a hub for those people. 

coffee-shop-laptop.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I have met many who "call" themselves digital nomads. Reality is they just post rubbish on social media, or make youtube videos, about being a digital nomad. Or "how to be a drop-shipping millionaire"

I have known “nomads” who are radiologists, post-production sound engineers and video editors, architects, business consultants, financial advisers, and various other types of remote work.  

6 hours ago, mokwit said:

You are not really a digital nomad you are a remote working employee

Most would disagree.  This type of person still needs a residence somewhere for tax and legal purposes.  The easy solution is to keep your residence as your home country, but this is not viable for everyone. 

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

So that’s two people who claim to be digital nomads.

I make my living online - but I’m no way a nomad. I enjoy the freedom to work from  home and earn a decent wage. I have computers, tablets, storage, monitors backup power and peripherals - all essential kit - how can I just lump that all in a backpack and jet off to South America and carry on. I also have to do 8 hours work a day, I also can’t just take time off to swan off to the islands, I wouldn’t have any customers if I wasn’t reliable. 

I think myself pretty lucky, I make a decent wage, but I’m far from what this government think I should be earning to qualify for a visa, and I’m a long way away from the picture this woman paints.

You are still a nomad if you do not have a company here and a work permit.  As for transporting your kit, I knew one person that travelled with a 30” MRI-grade monitor and associated equipment. It went with him in a very large Pelican Box or two; he usually stayed in a place for 3-4 months before moving on. 

Many people don’t need to work the standard 8-hour day for remote things. I would work two 20-hour days per week way back when, and meet all my expectations for a week or two, beyond responding to emails and quick incidental work that could be done from a phone or tablet. At the time, I was traveling for quality of life more than the financial benefits, but I made good money based on my experience. 

My work arrangements suit a 10-year digital/remote visa. It would seal the deal for a long term commitment to Thailand.

Would always rent here though, and keep my appreciating property in a first world country. So, don't care about that.

I agree with some points made in the video as to why Thailand is a great base in SEA. It would be the first Asian country to offer something, so would likely be a hit. That said, the devil is in the detail and who only knows how it ends up. Could be another useless Smart visa v2.0

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What does it take to be a "digital nomad hub"?

Does it include lots of people in coffee shops sitting there with their notebooks in front of them and buying a coffee every two hours?

I find it annoying when I go to my favorite coffee shop to drink an espresso or two and most places are filled up with above kind of people. Until now I was lucky enough that I always got a place to sit. But I wonder how I will react when next time I go there and all places are occupied with people with computers and empty coffee cups.

Just for that reason I hope Thailand won't be a hub for those people. 

coffee-shop-laptop.jpg

I think your wish was granted, enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I spent the evening in San Antonio, Cali Colombia last night. Anyone here remember Pai, years ago??

San Fransisco 50 years ago?  This is it boys and girls..  

Digital nomads here in droves, what a wonderful trip back in time.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

You need a minimum 10,000 subscribers just to get paid at all off you tube - so anyone saying they make money off YouTube with less than 10,000 subs can be dismissed right there - although a few have a product sponsor fair enough, but they would need real numbers even in a niche to make money. In advertising the metric is 'cost per thousand'

The top youtubers make millions - but it's just a few and arguably at the expense of the less successful, and I would guess it is deliberately structured like that for the same reason MLM and Wall St are deliberately structured like that - people run much harder in the hamster wheel in pursuit of a dream - youtube needs content creation.

All this "I know one person who,  met a few people who". I know people who made millions in the finance industry but most of the population doesn't.

True...

https://www.paktales.com/how-much-is-1million-youtube-views-worth-youtube-earnings/

1 mil views apparently earn between $300 and $2000.

6 hours ago, recom273 said:

Oh really? 

it’s also a really <deleted> life .. living out of a bag, at 50+

I know a few people who are successful nomads, true nomads, and I also know young guys who can sit on a 100B plastic chair all day, squinting at a laptop screen with nothing more than a smile, that’s not me .. a lot just burn out, one had back surgery and also a lot of nomads enjoy very little success at all. A lot manage to eek out their savings for a year or so then go back to living in mums backroom. I don’t disagree that you have met some great nomads , but everyone’s successful aren’t they? no one’s ever going to say they are <deleted> are they? 

Living out of a bag is actually great if you can do it. Free like a bird, no responsibilities whatsoever. It was my plan but somehow I ended with 3 bases in Australia, Thailand and Europe ???? Whenever I arrive in any of these bases there is always a <deleted> problem waiting for me.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I think you're confusing a 'digital bum' with a highly skilled individual who happens to be working remotely.

I am a highly skilled individual and I work mostly remote from home. And I definitely wouldn't call myself a nomad.

I have no idea if those people in the coffee shops and digital bums or nomads or whatever.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does this mean you enjoy the company of digital nomads in droves? Strange. 

It's always lively when they are around, it is usually a very trendy, and happening place to be. I never have liked sitting at home sipping my coffee! Or with my finger in the air sipping my tea, I prefer odd and fun people. Different strokes I guess.

One of the reasons I used to like Thailand. 

Edited by garyk

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am a highly skilled individual and I work mostly remote from home. And I definitely wouldn't call myself a nomad.

I have no idea if those people in the coffee shops and digital bums or nomads or whatever.

I'll bet you don't work out of a coffee shop either, given the choice - who would?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I'll bet you don't work out of a coffee shop either, given the choice - who would?

The ones I know don't have to work in a coffee shop? They enjoy meeting and talking to others. It's just to get out of the apartment!  I think you guys are confusing current with 10-20 years ago.

I can hot spot my phone and get better service than in most of the coffee shops.  And phone service here and in Thailand is cheap..

Edited by garyk

To he who commented on language skills, I suggest you read the post again & understand before Thai knocking when it has nothing even  to do with Thais.

Now, many of you may be surprised just how much this is already happening, I know of 5 guys working for overseas corporations & have been given the option of working from here.

The unlimited internet packages are great value & a good apartment is much cheaper than London, Geneva or even Singapore. I know where I would want to be

• Like 1

Ha ha ha, I'll freelance in Thailand and they won't know the better.  If you think I"m going to live there full time you're nuts.  

I invest in the stock market too and make money that way.  Thailand has no idea and I don't care if they like it or not.  They don't know what I"m doing.  ????  

These people think they are re-inventing the wheel - going to where the ball was about 30 seconds ago lost on the football field while everyone in the stands laughs at them instead of watching the game.  

5 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

In some places they use storage lockers

Holy, this had never occurred to me and might actually solve a problem I had elsewhere. Thanks! ????

5 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:
12 hours ago, mokwit said:

You are not really a digital nomad you are a remote working employee

Most would disagree.  This type of person still needs a residence somewhere for tax and legal purposes.  The easy solution is to keep your residence as your home country, but this is not viable for everyone. 

A ton of threads on AseanNow seem to devolve into arguments over semantics (who wants to guess why?).

I am defining this term as inclusive of all persons who are able to make a living over the internet and are whose ability to earn sufficient income for their needs is not dependent on being in any specific physical location.

For example prior to Covid this would not have included me, because I was trapped in an office Mon-Fri. But because of post-Covid changes in work it now does include me, as well as many others. This is the definition that seems to be the most congruent with the intention of the article.

Long winded way of saying that there isn't only one type of person that is location independent just like how there isn't a single type of expat retiree in the world. Demographics vary. Income and wealth levels vary. There's gonna be broke guys just barely getting by, and there's gonna be guys doing 7 figures a month in e-commerce (and everything in between).

I keep trying to understand what is going on here. I admit I am not a digital nomad.  These are some of the priciest rental prices in Cali. So the guys are paying pretty hefty prices just to be here. And, I think that is reflected in the Coffee shops.  High end laptops, dressed much nicer than i do.

This is a much younger crowd here, I would say late twenties, thirties. Mostly men. I am 70, ugggg

Next time i rent a unit I may head into the bohemian neighborhoods here. I may change my mind. But, for a fact and without a doubt. Here in this area they are not poor. And there are a lot of them around.

This is the crowd Thailand needs to go after. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Cipher said:

What I'd most like to have is a more convenient visa that offers an elegant multi-entry and long-stay solution with minimal hassle. Would also like to be able to open a local bank account and apply for local financial products.

They should just do Elite at 50k or something like that on year-to-year basis...on par with other yearly stay solutions.

• Like 1